GDT: Beat the Spahders

Littlebill

1 minute ago, Old guy said:

If this costs us the season's tournament play, the medical staff should be replaced with someone else.

Just now, Reinert310 said:

That’s NEVER going to happen.

I you hire a medical staff to take care of your team. You don’t hire them to take care of your team...as long as their decisions don’t jeopardize the postseason. This is ridiculous.

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The only risk SLU is taking by not playing is this game is not risking re entering quarantine on a Richmond team who having in the win column  likely won’t matter in the long run.

26 minutes ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

This fear mongering needs to stop.. young healthy athletes are not dying from Covid... 

Florida’s Keyontae Johnson nearly did when he collapsed in the middle of a game. He was diagnosed with myocarditis a few months after having COVID. 

The number one priority of our medical staff and administration should be protecting our players. That’s why we have such conservative restrictions like the 7-day return-to-play guideline for players that tested positive. Based on that, I’d be willing to bet that the medical staff had a genuine concern with Richmond’s protocols. And honestly, I’m alright with that. Even if 80% of the team is already “immune.” Our players’ health is much more important than basketball. 

BJK likes this

Just now, NoCoBillsFan said:

Florida’s Keyontae Johnson nearly did when he collapsed in the middle of a game. He was diagnosed with myocarditis a few months after having COVID. 

The number one priority of our medical staff and administration should be protecting our players. That’s why we have such conservative restrictions like the 7-day return-to-play guideline for players that tested positive. Based on that, I’d be willing to bet that the medical staff had a genuine concern with Richmond’s protocols. And honestly, I’m alright with that. Even if 80% of the team is already “immune.” Our players’ health is much more important than basketball. 

Good post

2 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

They don’t know for sure, all they say is it “may be related”. That’s certainly not definitive.

I know. But why take that chance. It’s just not worth the risk. A lot of people have had lingering effects from Covid. A close family member of mine has been dealing with it literally for months. If there’s any chance of something serious, it’s just not worth it. In the end, these are basketball games.

3 minutes ago, Reinert310 said:

I know. But why take that chance. It’s just not worth the risk. A lot of people have had lingering effects from Covid. A close family member of mine has been dealing with it literally for months. If there’s any chance of something serious, it’s just not worth it. In the end, these are basketball games.

Reinert, you’re a really good poster here but if there’s no solid proof that a player who has cleared the virus is in any danger of health complications then there is no reason to put the Keyontae  Johnson situation  out as some sort of example. 

Tonka likes this

1 minute ago, billikenfan05 said:

Reinert, you’re a really good poster here but if there’s no solid proof that a player who has cleared the virus is in any danger of health complications then there is no reason to put the Keyontae  Johnson situation  out as some sort of example. 

I didn’t bring it up. I just posted the article. 

2 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

I’m just not comfortable questioning the judgment of health professionals who the university is paying to take care of these kids. There’s less evidence that the medical staff made a poor decision than there is that Keyontae Johnson’s heart condition is a result of Covid.

dlarry likes this

Considering we allowed 300 fans in to the last game, I'd really be curious what protocol we had concerns with. 

I could see a scenario where Richmond was desperate to play this game against a SLU team who isn't at full strength and maybe they got lax with their non tier 1 protocols. We will likely never know. Maybe SLU has has strictest protocols in the country and we canceled for a 1 in a billion risk. Are we going to be okay with their protocols during the A10 tournament? Maybe we'll hear something in 3 days about Richmond having a breakout or a positive test. 

I never have liked the comparison to the Florida player. It's a tragic situation but if that's your fear, why come back and play at all? Some things can't be prevented. I have no idea if his situation could or couldn't be prevented but it's just a tough scenario to compare to. That being said, yes the health of our players is the most important factor. Hopefully everyone on all sides is okay.

31 minutes ago, NoCoBillsFan said:

And there is no proof that it was Covid related. There are in fact a handful of heart related deaths that occur every year among young athletes. Shouldn’t we by your standards just ban all athletics because of the potential risk? Sports are voluntary, if you don’t want to participate, then don’t, but allow the rest to make THEIR OWN DECISIONS. This nonsense is destroying our country..

kshoe and dennis_w like this

4 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Keyontae Johnson isn’t the only example though. And I’ll admit that it’s rare and not common, but at the same time we’re not talking about cancelling the entire season. I’m just talking about being cautious.

The issue that SLU needs to determine is how much it wants to disclose.  Based on all the speculation and the school's statement, this does not involve any person's individual health which would be confidential information and cannot be publicly disclosed.  If the issue is truly about the University of Richmond's protocols, there is no legal reason why SLU cannot disclose it.  Now comes the interesting part.  If SLU ends up deciding that its medical personnel made a bad call, then maybe you don't disclose it so as not to embarrass the person in question.  The person no doubt made his best call under the circumstances, but we all make mistakes at some point.  On the other hand, if the person made the right call, why not disclose the basis?  Because it would embarrass the University of Richmond?  I have a hard time understanding why SLU would risk hurting SLU's reputation to protect the University of Richmond.  Either the Conference steps in and makes a statement that protects both schools and gives cover to both schools or it seems to me SLU should be looking out for its best interests.  I'll be disappointed in the A10 if the A10 doesn't get involved.

2 minutes ago, Reinert310 said:

I’m just not comfortable questioning the judgment of health professionals who the university is paying to take care of these kids. There’s less evidence that the medical staff made a poor decision than there is that Keyontae Johnson’s heart condition is a result of Covid.

I agree with this but the health professionals at Richmond were comfortable with the game happening. I think SLU probably had abnormally strict guidelines and that is probably a good thing but it makes every game the rest of the way an even bigger risk 

7 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

I agree with this but the health professionals at Richmond were comfortable with the game happening. I think SLU probably had abnormally strict guidelines and that is probably a good thing but it makes every game the rest of the way an even bigger risk 

I'm not sure I'd agree that abnormally strict guidelines are a good thing.  The Pac 12 initially canceled football last fall because they had abnormally strict guidelines.  When the rest of the country showed that they could play football under reasonably safe protocols, the Pac 12 had a difficult time recruiting players all of a sudden.  Players don't want to go to schools that will not let them play when other schools will.  I agree it is a very difficult balance, but "abnormally" strict guidelines are not always good.

kshoe and cgeldmacher like this

8 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

Considering we allowed 300 fans in to the last game, I'd really be curious what protocol we had concerns with. 

I could see a scenario where Richmond was desperate to play this game against a SLU team who isn't at full strength and maybe they got lax with their non tier 1 protocols. We will likely never know. Maybe SLU has has strictest protocols in the country and we canceled for a 1 in a billion risk. Are we going to be okay with their protocols during the A10 tournament? Maybe we'll hear something in 3 days about Richmond having a breakout or a positive test. 

I never have liked the comparison to the Florida player. It's a tragic situation but if that's your fear, why come back and play at all? Some things can't be prevented. I have no idea if his situation could or couldn't be prevented but it's just a tough scenario to compare to. That being said, yes the health of our players is the most important factor. Hopefully everyone on all sides is okay.

300 people 30-50 feet at least from Tier 1 personnel is different than protocols among another teams tier 1. 

55 minutes ago, NoCoBillsFan said:

Myocarditis isn’t limited to COVID.  The common cold, flu, drugs and many other things can cause it.  It is responsible for up to 22% of all sudden deaths of athletes.  Studies released earlier this month from Vanderbilt and the University of Wisconsin suggest instances of myocarditis among young athletes are no more common from COVID than the those from the flu and the common cold.  

11 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

The question is if it was the medical staff decision based on their opinion or if the decision was made by the medical staff because of the guidelines imposed on them by the SLU administration.

7 minutes ago, Wendelprof said:

I'm not sure I'd agree that abnormally strict guidelines are a good thing.  The Pac 12 initially canceled football last fall because they had abnormally strict guidelines.  When the rest of the country showed that they could play football under reasonably safe protocols, the Pac 12 had a difficult time recruiting players all of a sudden.  Players don't want to go to schools that will not let them play when other schools will.  I agree it is a very difficult balance, but "abnormally" strict guidelines are not always good.

I understand that everybody is going to have differing opinions on how strict the protocols should be, and I respect that, but I highly doubt either school’s protocols drastically changed this afternoon. Richmond SHOULD HAVE known what SLU’s protocols were and been prepared. Now maybe SLU didn’t communicate their protocols properly and it’s on them. I highly doubt we’ll ever know. But to me, the actual protocols themselves are not the issue here.