GDT: Beat the Spahders

Littlebill

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

25 minutes ago, NH said:

That could be possible, but I have no basis for questioning our medical staff. Dr. Burch has been SLU's team doctor for 14 years and seems to have had the trust of both Coach Majerus and Ford. Like Cowboy said, until I have a real reason to believe otherwise I am going to trust that they're doing their best to ensure the health and wellbeing of the players and coaches.

At this point, I have to believe our policies are more conservative than is the norm in college basketball...and college basketball is pretty darn conservative. Consider:

1) We told Evansville not to come even though they felt like they could play

2) We had a 33 day layoff, when quarantines should only be 14 days. This was exacerbated by a 7 day return to play policy that very slowly allowed players with COVID to return to physical activity. I don't believe this is standard operating procedure and smells more like a legal CYA than a truly medical concern given how many 22 and younger kids all over this country are returning to athletics as soon as their isolation days are over.

3) Now this, when Richmond medical says we are good to play, but we say it's too risky. This despite the vast majority of this team being immune to COVID at this point.

Any one instance alone and we could live with it, but this is a pretty distinct pattern. 

slufan13, cgeldmacher and CBFan like this

1 hour ago, kshoe said:

Getting on a private plane, staying in a hotel, and then flying back all on a private plane just so that we can look like we aren't dodging a game seems like an incredibly expensive way to save face.

Agreed. I honestly can't believe someone thinks that's even a possibility

At this point we need to be cognizant that due to current policies another, contact tracing pauses, or worse a positive test in the program, will likely decimate the rest of our regular season leaving us in a terrible spot.  If we’re at risk due to an iffy scenario, it’s much better to bite the bullet on one game then potentially lose another 4-8.  

A10Ref, slufanskip and Bizziken like this

Here are my thoughts (obviously dont know anything and this is all under the assumption we want to play and have no ill will around dodging games + using rational thinking):

1. We have 10/14 players with anti-bodies. The 4 could vary well be important players/if there is another breakout where 4 people get it we would have to shut down given current university rules/precedent
  2. Richmond could easily have 1 - 2 or so positive tests or inconclusive tests which might not be enough to shut down their program due to their policies. They want to play, but given our experience seems like positive test results slowly trickle in and just because you are negative doesnt mean you wont test positive tomorrow and have been contagious.
  3. If 2 is anywhere near accurate, we didnt want to risk our players of being exposed and causing 1 to occur.

8 minutes ago, SLU_Nick said:

SLU is so soft.  Good lord 

And if they had played and then had an issue and we found out they knew there was a possibility regardless of how small, everyone would be saying how careless it was for them to play. They don't care about the players or their families, etc ... 

CBFan, cheeseman and RUBillsFan like this

2 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

And if they had played and then had an issue and we found out they knew there was a possibility regardless of how small, everyone would be saying how careless it was for them to play. They don't care about the players or their families, etc ... 

This definitely feels like a moment where a rush to judgement is not the best move.  

5 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Translation: Richmond will be back on pause by Tuesday.

Definitely a situation where SLU can be proven right pretty quickly and easily. I have no real opinion on it since I am not an expert but it definitely sucks from a fan's perspective. 

3 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

F this guy though. This is the stuff that should stay inside the room. He's going out of his way to be a prick. This could become a public spat

I agree with this. Seems like a risky statement from his end. He looks really bad if they do have problems

11 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

F this guy though. This is the stuff that should stay inside the room. He's going out of his way to be a prick. This could become a public spat

Agree. What a douchecanoe.

I won’t say I want this guy to get Covid but I’d be pretty happy if he gets a severe case of herpes. 

Surely there's someone outside of the a10 who would want to play? With all of these programs going on pause there has to be someone else who needs a game

(edit) Example - Michigan is on pause and they were supposed to play Indiana this weekend. Could we get something on the schedule with someone? Not sure the feasibility but there have to be other teams looking for games

While this is obviously disappointing, I’d personally rather pass on the game and avoid another outbreak. It could end up SLU was being overly cautious, but there already has been a month hiatus, and another isn’t feasible. It sucks, but I get the decision, if it seems Richmond had shaky protocols or inconclusive test results. 

2 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

Surely there's someone outside of the a10 who would want to play? With all of these programs going on pause there has to be someone else who needs a game

Interesting thought. Kentucky cancelled on Texas today. Call up Shaka and see if Courtney Ramey wants a homecoming game.

SLU_Lax likes this

1 hour ago, Cowboy said:

-the statement - 

The Saint Louis at Richmond men's basketball game scheduled for Friday night at 5:30 p.m. (CT) on ESPN2 is postponed as a result of COVID-19 concerns raised by the Saint Louis medical staff.

The Billikens are returning to St. Louis on the advice of their medical staff. SLU was prepared to play the game as scheduled, and is not in a position to comment on the concerns raised by its medical staff.

-we have a medical staff to keep our guys healthy, until I hear otherwise I will believe this is what they were doing here

-if we discover this was something else then the thought changes

-how soon does the A10 - or in a non-conf way SLU - announce a game for Mon/Tues/Wed?

-with the above statement, what Richmond is saying publicly and the backdrop of yesterday's fund raising campaign by the ADept, I don't expect CFord or the team to comment, but I do expect a statement from CMay not long after the plane lands

-now history tells me to have very low expectations for this statement but a statement nonetheless as certainly he realizes the impact of us being seen as walking from a game