GDT: Beat the Spahders

Littlebill

Whoever said the sports train left the SLU station years ago was right on the mark. I didn't want to believe it, but it's true. Dr. Chaifetz, God bless him, but that money was not well spent. SLU's a lost cause and it pains me to say it. Why would a recruit want to even think about coming to this shitfire ?

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Bonner89 said:

Whoever said the sports train left the SLU station years ago was right on the mark. I didn't want to believe it, but it's true. Dr. Chaifetz, God bless him, but that money was not well spent. SLU's a lost cause and it pains me to say it. Why would a recruit want to even think about coming to this shitfire ?

Wait. what?

Littlebill likes this

-the statement - 

The Saint Louis at Richmond men's basketball game scheduled for Friday night at 5:30 p.m. (CT) on ESPN2 is postponed as a result of COVID-19 concerns raised by the Saint Louis medical staff.

The Billikens are returning to St. Louis on the advice of their medical staff. SLU was prepared to play the game as scheduled, and is not in a position to comment on the concerns raised by its medical staff.

-we have a medical staff to keep our guys healthy, until I hear otherwise I will believe this is what they were doing here

-if we discover this was something else then the thought changes

-how soon does the A10 - or in a non-conf way SLU - announce a game for Mon/Tues/Wed?

rgbilliken and RUBillsFan like this

8 minutes ago, NH said:

Not playing these games puts us in jeopardy of missing the tournament and missing out on $. We have zero incentive to dodge any game or otherwise avoid playing. I'm confident that the coaching staff and the players were excited about the opportunity to beat Richmond, remind everyone that we are the team to beat in the A-10, and get past the bad taste left following the Dayton loss.

If our doctors thought it was particularly unsafe to play the game, then I'm glad we aren't putting any personnel at risk. I am hopeful that the reason was a lack of proper protocol with Richmond, as opposed to any health issues with any of our players or staff. 

What if our medical staff has lost any ability to use common sense? Richmond's medical staff thought it was safe to play, our Athletic Department seemed to think it was safe to play, but maybe SLU's medical staff is worried about 1 in a million type things that really common sense would suggest shouldn't be limiting factors.

1 minute ago, kshoe said:

What if our medical staff has lost any ability to use common sense? Richmond's medical staff thought it was safe to play, our Athletic Department seemed to think it was safe to play, but maybe SLU's medical staff is worried about 1 in a million type things that really common sense would suggest shouldn't be limiting factors.

That could be possible, but I have no basis for questioning our medical staff. Dr. Burch has been SLU's team doctor for 14 years and seems to have had the trust of both Coach Majerus and Ford. Like Cowboy said, until I have a real reason to believe otherwise I am going to trust that they're doing their best to ensure the health and wellbeing of the players and coaches.

Littlebill and RUBillsFan like this

6 minutes ago, kshoe said:

So do you want Ford or May to overrule the medical staff?

5 minutes ago, kshoe said:

Richmond has been paused twice already.  They haven't had much success with this thing either.

I will wait and read the facts of the reason for not playing Richmond because of the COVID protocol before I pass any judgement.

I wonder why fans on both teams are passing judgment on SLU without knowing one fact.

Most of the Richmond fans are so full of themselves, Ford and all of the Billikens fans wanted this game and needed this game.  Now SLU is afraid to play teams because they lost to Dayton.  SLU is not the only team to lose to Dayton this season.  Dayton lost to Fordham but their record is 8-4.

I had a good feeling about the game tonight.  Our teams have had losses in the Ford coached seasons and bounced back.  Last season is a great example winning the last 5 and crushing a couple of rivals after going through some tough loses. 

Another postponed game sucks. 

The University of Richmond’s game against No. 22 Saint Louis at the Robins Center Friday night was postponed, and the Saint Louis medical staff initiated the action because of concerns regarding protocols in the UR program.

I get it, cool.  But why couldn't this issue be resolved, and the game be moved to lets say, tomorrow?

1 minute ago, CBFan said:

I will wait and read the facts of the reason for not playing Richmond because of the COVID protocol before I pass any judgement.

I wonder why fans on both teams are passing judgment on SLU without knowing one fact.

Most of the Richmond fans are so full of themselves, Ford and all of the Billikens fans wanted this game and needed this game.  Now SLU is afraid to play teams because they lost to Dayton.  SLU is not the only team to lose to Dayton this season.  Dayton lost to Fordham but their record is 8-4.

I had a good feeling about the game tonight.  Our teams have had losses in the Ford coached seasons and bounced back.  Last season is a great example winning the last 5 and crushing a couple of rivals after going through some tough loses. 

Another postponed game sucks. 

I don't believe anything this administration says for any reason...but a very good post here. SLU had to have this game in terms of going where the team wanted to go. This postponement hurts SLU far more than anyone else, so the idea of SLU dodging the game because of one very poor showing against Dayton is insane. 

2 minutes ago, wgstl said:

The University of Richmond’s game against No. 22 Saint Louis at the Robins Center Friday night was postponed, and the Saint Louis medical staff initiated the action because of concerns regarding protocols in the UR program.

I get it, cool.  But why couldn't this issue be resolved, and the game be moved to lets say, tomorrow?

Yes, that's what I was thinking when I wondered why SLU came back.

5 minutes ago, NH said:

That could be possible, but I have no basis for questioning our medical staff. Dr. Burch has been SLU's team doctor for 14 years and seems to have had the trust of both Coach Majerus and Ford. Like Cowboy said, until I have a real reason to believe otherwise I am going to trust that they're doing their best to ensure the health and wellbeing of the players and coaches.

I don't think Jonathon Burch is a doctor. He is the head athletic trainer. He has no Dr. or MD with his name. I couldn't find the team(s) doctor or doctors on the SLU website.

THE SILENT ONE likes this

18 minutes ago, Bonner89 said:

If COVID lifts it’s a good venue for concerts etc. 

8 minutes ago, White Pelican said:

I don't think Jonathon Burch is a doctor. He is the head athletic trainer. He has no Dr. or MD with his name. I couldn't find the team(s) doctor or doctors on the SLU website.

I know Dr. Kaar spends a lot of time around the program, orthopedic surgeon. With the current environment, I wonder if we have additional medical staff around the program.

9 minutes ago, White Pelican said:

Yes, Jonathan Burch (or JB, as he is known) is not a doctor. I'm not sure who the official team doctor is, but I know Dr. Scott Karr (https://physicians.slucare.edu/details/306/scott-kaar-orthopaedic_surgery-sports_medicine-lake_st_louis-st_louis) is one of the doctors that works with the team. He often sits court side at home games. I don't know if Dr. Karr travels with the team. 

10 minutes ago, White Pelican said:

Your team physician appears to be Jamil Neme, M.D. or at least he's on twitter listing himself as such. He's an assistant Professor at SLU and recently "liked" a VCU fan's tweet that it was an issue within U of R. Take that for whatever it's worth. 

Edit: here's the tweet

SLU Doctor.jpeg

15 minutes ago, White Pelican said:

Gotcha, thanks for clarifying 

White Pelican likes this

I don’t claim to have all, or even most, of the answers involving Covid protocols. There may be a difference between acceptable protocols to likely play a basketball game safely and approved by the NCAA/Atlantic 10, and what truly amounts to “best practices”.

As an example, with a few days of exceptions, I’ve been going in to the office every day since the beginning of June. I haven’t (knock on wood) gotten Covid, and it seems that any cases among other people at my employer did not involve any spread to others. I feel safe going into my workplace every day. When I mention this to other people though, I occasionally get horrified looks from them. Best practices may say to do whatever you can to work from home, but I’ve chosen to go in to work and be as cautious as possible by always wearing a mask when I leave my workspace, social distance, etc.

My guess here is that either Richmond was doing what was necessary to play, but fell short of whatever “best practices” SLU is following, or there was a legitimate reason for SLU to be concerned that we will find out about soon.

3 minutes ago, Gopher+RamFan said:

Your team physician appears to be Jamil Neme, M.D. or at least he's on twitter listing himself as such. He's an assistant Professor at SLU and recently "liked" a VCU fan's tweet that it was an issue within U of R. Take that for whatever it's worth. 

Edit: here's the tweet

SLU Doctor.jpeg

Screw this administration anyway.