SLU Men's Soccer Thread

6 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Is it possible for SLU to make it in as an at large with that win,  Or is A10 tourney or bust?

Given SLU’s RPI and standings in the polls, I think they are in even if they lose the A10 championship game. Seeding would be adversely impacted by a loss.

I think Dayton’s season is over. If you miss them and want to see a bunch of people taking dives all the time, tune in to a Jacques Cousteau special.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Is it possible for SLU to make it in as an at large with that win,  Or is A10 tourney or bust?

Their RPI was 18th as of 11/6 per the NCAA site.  Dayton was 46 in RPI.  I believe the game going to shootouts means it is a tie for the official standings, so I'm no sure if their RPI might drop slightly or not.  Loyola Chicago's RPI is 47.  I'd imagine even if SLU loses to Loyola they'd still have an RPI in the mid/low 20s (?).  48 teams make the NCAAs with 23 auto-bids.  IMO it would be a real screw job if a program with SLU's history coming off an elite eight appearance & an RPI in the mid/low 20s was denied an NCAA bid.

Heck if SLU beats Loyola, I think they have an argument to be a top 16 "seeded" team to get a 1st round bye / host a 2nd round game.

courtside likes this

8 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

Given SLU’s RPI and standings in the polls, I think they are in even if they lose the A10 championship game. Seeding would be adversely impacted by a loss.

I think Dayton’s season is over. If you miss them and want to see a bunch of people taking dives all the time, tune in to a Jacques Cousteau special.

7 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

Their RPI was 18th as of 11/6 per the NCAA site.  Dayton was 46 in RPI.  I believe the game going to shootouts means it is a tie for the official standings, so I'm no sure if their RPI might drop slightly or not.  Loyola Chicago's RPI is 47.  I'd imagine even if SLU loses to Loyola they'd still have an RPI in the mid/low 20s (?).  48 teams make the NCAAs with 23 auto-bids.  IMO it would be a real screw job if a program with SLU's history coming off an elite eight appearance & an RPI in the mid/low 20s was denied an NCAA bid.

Heck if SLU beats Loyola, I think they have an argument to be a top 16 "seeded" team to get a 1st round bye / host a 2nd round game.

Cool, thanks. 

16 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

-imo those shouldn't have any bearing on getting a team into an NCAA Tourney

SLUMedBilliken15 likes this

22 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

Yes. The game is considered a tie. SLU’s RPI is now 17. After their win over Duquesne, Loyola now has an RPI of 43. 

And, yes, SLU has been projected as a top 16 NCAA seed prior to the A10 tourney finish. SLU can get that with a win Sunday. 

59 minutes ago, Bills By 40 said:

The worst part of the whole night was when we couldn't put away the ball that snuck through the defense on the free kick outside the box in the 2nd. I don't know how he even had the angle to miss high because the ball was seemingly already across the goal line. That was hard to forgive. 

Seen worse in a 12 year old club soccer game where one of my players literally put the ball straight vertical over the crossbar form no more than 6-8 inches out.  : )

The free kick called in the second half when Klein was hauled down at halfline and the ref didn't allow for advantage given Anderson was off to the races, was horrible.

Yes, SLU can get an at-large bid even without winning the conference given our SOS of schedule.  Loss last night would have hurt our chances last night a bit. It also helps that we were so good last year that will still influence things this year....there was a year when Creighton went something like 10-8 and still got an at-large due to their SOS.  

24 minutes ago, Cowboy II said:

-imo those shouldn't have any bearing on getting a team into an NCAA Tourney

I totally agree that it shouldn't, but it seems like it does (at least in basketball).

Anecdotal example - SLU's run of 3 NCAAs with Majerus teams each team was ranked pretty similar by the computers (KenPom had their pre-NCAA rankings between 15 & 34 each season).  Their 1st appearance in 2012 SLU was horribly underrated as a 9 seed (playing an equally underrated 8 seed Memphis).  This was actually their best year by the computer rankings at 15 in KenPom heading into the NCAA tournament.  They didn't get any respect from the committee because they hadn't appeared in the NCAAs for such a long time & history before then was sporadic.  The next year 2013, SLU (16 by KenPom) had established themselves as an NCAA team the year before and they were given a 4 seed which was probably about right.  The following (34 by KenPom mostly due to a terrible finish) they were over-seeded at 5 presumably because they were coming off 2 straight NCAA round of 32 appearances.

Another example would he Jim Boehiem's Syracuse teams on the bubble consistently being given NCAA bids.

23 minutes ago, SLUBALLS said:

The free kick called in the second half when Klein was hauled down at halfline and the ref didn't allow for advantage given Anderson was off to the races, was horrible.

Terrible. Probably should've been a red card, and definitely should've allowed advantage. Two total blunders in the same damn play and could've totally changed the direction of the game. 

I'm not used to complaining about A10 refs in November

19 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

I totally agree that it shouldn't, but it seems like it does (at least in basketball).

Anecdotal example - SLU's run of 3 NCAAs with Majerus teams each team was ranked pretty similar by the computers (KenPom had their pre-NCAA rankings between 15 & 34 each season).  Their 1st appearance in 2012 SLU was horribly underrated as a 9 seed (playing an equally underrated 8 seed Memphis).  This was actually their best year by the computer rankings at 15 in KenPom heading into the NCAA tournament.  They didn't get any respect from the committee because they hadn't appeared in the NCAAs for such a long time & history before then was sporadic.  The next year 2013, SLU (16 by KenPom) had established themselves as an NCAA team the year before and they were given a 4 seed which was probably about right.  The following (34 by KenPom mostly due to a terrible finish) they were over-seeded at 5 presumably because they were coming off 2 straight NCAA round of 32 appearances.

Another example would he Jim Boehiem's Syracuse teams on the bubble consistently being given NCAA bids.

I agree it shouldn’t, but yes, it does seem like sometimes the selection committee considers other things. Just the way it works.

On 11/9/2022 at 11:12 AM, courtside said:

Game day for SLU. 

SLU is 18th in RPI. (polls are 20 in Coaches, 25 and 25 in CSN and TDS)

Dayton is 46. (Loyola 48, Duquesne 66)

Cousin vs Cousin, Donny and Cole.

Expect a 4-4-2 for SLU

Tofern

Floriani, Suarez, Easton, Warrington (Ross)

Buendia with Johnson or Okpoye

Shternenberg (Townsend) Anderson

Klein Coppola (Mads, Komodi, Gibbs)

……………..

Dayton is still an explosive offensive team at times. SLU can take advantage of Dayton’s aggressiveness, getting caught at times with 3 in the back, force set pieces, throws and corners. Get Johnny and CJ in space. 

…………………

Dayton will likely be in a 4-3-3. Wingbacks high.

Dayton’s attack is balanced, Umar is a high volume shot taker (as a team the get up a lot of shots) who the Flyers like to play through in the middle of the field. Quiah offers pace wide on the wing especially with odd numbers. Dayton will want to play up the middle, on the ground with its holding midfielder on the ground through to Ajago, and Day up top. 

Maintaining shape, defend the 18, double the pace wings wide, collapse the middle. Be efficient in the final 18, forcing turnovers, transition, and set pieces. 

SLU 1 Dayton 1 (3-1 SLU PK’s) Fun game. 

First half, formations and personnel were familiar for the most part. At times Dayton can have a 4-1-4-1 look and feel. 

SLU did well for 18 minutes creating a few opportunities, Warrington to Floriani to Suarez double header off of the bar. Over the top to CJ to Johnny in alone, but an incorrect off sides call negated a high level scoring chance. 

Dayton’s goal was a nice diagonal ball over the top for Day, where Easton was caught up a bit and Shterenberg didn’t get back in the wing. So Dayton had numbers and Lane had to cover two people. He took the passing lane and gave the shot, and it’s one Carlos would like back. Poor angle, slipped a bit, didn’t come out to cut it.

https://twitter.com/daytonmsoccer/status/1590516876840689666?s=21&t=BqXMQmAXSd0LgQV_pgZ0Gw

Otherwise, it was fine, limiting center of the field combination counters, forcing wide. Dayton defended the wings well in the final third, and set pieces. Back line was solid. Floriani was great for SLU. Suarez collapsed the middle well.  Many of Dayton’s high volume shots were from distance or blocked. (They lead the league in shots) 

Tough half for Buendia, who took a yellow after being warned for one too many transition grabs. SLU moved Brogan to defensive mid from the wing and played Mika on the wing to finish the half. But this definitely put SLU in a more defensive position for the final 13.

2nd half:

Buendia was fortunate to not get a 2nd yellow (red) in the first ten minutes. Dayton has pace in transition in the middle of the field. That was enough to essentially end his night early but keep SLU at 11.

A little bit of a hand ball on Peterson’s free kick from 20. I’m okay with a no call there but a discussion with the arm extension. 

Johnson and Okpoye did well to move higher in the final 20 minutes. It comes with a little risk. You have to do that sometimes down a goal. A few forced turnovers and a foul later and it’s 1-1. Set piece Komodi to Suarez to CJ.

https://twitter.com/slumenssoccer/status/1590538857422163968?s=21&t=BqXMQmAXSd0LgQV_pgZ0Gw

SLU had some combination play working on the right side late. 

Another set piece Klein to Lane great save and somehow Easton put a 5 yard goal over the bar. 

https://twitter.com/daytonmsoccer/status/1590538458480930816?s=21&t=BqXMQmAXSd0LgQV_pgZ0Gw

SLU again forced a turnover Johnson to CJ in the middle of the field and wanted a red card and the advantage. Gotta yellow. Lots of good opportunity as play continued to open up a bit. Good pressure.

SLU did well in 3 of 4 PK’s taken and Carlos was very good saving 3 of 4. He also had a nice 2nd half kick save in the run of play. 

15 minutes ago, dennis_w said:

i dont watch much soccer, but my observation is that whining and feigning injuries is widespread and not just limited to africans. i could be wrong

It's much more common among foreign players than American players, and that difference was highlighted in last night's game. Dayton is majority foreign born, it looks like. 

14 hours ago, slufanskip said:

Tofern stops 3 of 4 PK’s  for the Bills win

Dayton is so hard to watch with the nonstop whining and feigning injury after every whistle. Typical of so many players from Africa. It’s ridiculous that it’s put up with

I’ll be the dissenter a little bit here. It really wasn’t something that stood out to me or something that I saw. 

I would challenge anyone who wasn’t at the game to go take a first look or an additional look at the game. I’m happy to go take an additional look when I get a chance. 

In the 90 minutes of regulation, I counted one time with a little over 2 minutes left in regulation where a Dayton player tried to get a call that wasn’t there. Over 90 minutes of time. Their two mildly injured players during those 90 minutes were Day and Brown. 

I didn’t care for the end of period, talk with the official, and a few more players arrive to gather. And nothing came of that. 

That was mostly about a foul called on Zengue (he’s from Minnesota) as he won an aerial battle with Klein. Johnny went down and he sold it for at best an iffy free kick for SLU. (few in soccer work the officials more than Johnny) 

There were 2 plays in OT that stood out. Both times Johnny fouled someone and got away with it. One was inadvertently hitting a Dayton player in the face in transition by swinging his arm. No call. Play on. 

The 2nd play was a late 50/50 challenge from Johnny where he spiked the player pretty hard jumping at his feet. The ensuing play had Johnny receive a pass and make a nice through ball up to Komodi who was fouled, and, it was called. A few Dayton players were upset that Klein’s foul wasn’t called just before it. Makes sense.

That’s 3 plays for an entire game for me. There was one play earlier in the game regulation where a foul was wrongly called on SLU far side 50/50 aerial ball. It wasn’t a foul. Brown headed it off the SLU player back into his own face and that was going to out him down a little bit. 

Overall the officiating was fine for me. The reactions to calls were mostly legit and fine. 

I think perhaps one or two higher profile moments in OT of a hotly contested A-10 semifinal vs a rival, may be affecting some views a bit here. A little Blue Kool-Aid perhaps.

I mentioned in my other post that Buendia was fortunate to not get a 2nd yellow early in the 2nd half. He was warned, and he picked up a card later doing the same thing. It was a different type of 3rd foul but it was from behind, and seeking a card there is not unusual. 

The foul on Coppola after Johnson forced a turnover was one where SLU adamantly also wanted both the advantage for Seth, and a straight red.  Understandable.

I thought it was a good game, a fun game. Happy for Carlos. It was good for SLU to advance. On to the next one.

22 minutes ago, courtside said:

I’ll be the dissenter a little bit here. It really wasn’t something that stood out to me or something that I saw. 

I would challenge anyone who wasn’t at the game to go take a first look or an additional look at the game. I’m happy to go take an additional look when I get a chance. 

In the 90 minutes of regulation, I counted one time with a little over 2 minutes left in regulation where a Dayton player tried to get a call that wasn’t there. Over 90 minutes of time. Their two mildly injured players during those 90 minutes were Day and Brown. 

I didn’t care for the end of period, talk with the official, and a few more players arrive to gather. And nothing came of that. 

That was mostly about a foul called on Zengue (he’s from Minnesota) as he won an aerial battle with Klein. Johnny went down land sold it for at best an iffy free kick for SLU. (few in soccer work the officials more than Johnny) 

There were 2 plays in OT that stood out. Both times Johnny fouled someone and got away with it. One was inadvertently hitting a Dayton player in the face in transition by swinging his arm. No call. Play on. 

The 2nd play was a late 50/50 challenge from Johnny where he spiked the player pretty hard jumping at his feet. The ensuing play had Johnny receive a pass and make a nice through ball up to Komodi who was fouled, and, it was called. A few Dayton players were upset that Klein’s foul wasn’t called just before it. Makes sense.

That’s 3 plays for an entire game for me. There was one play earlier in the game regulation where a foul was wrongly called on SLU far side 50/50 aerial ball. It wasn’t a foul. Brown headed it off the SLU player back into his own face and that was going to out him down a little bit. 

Overall the officiating was fine for me. The reactions to calls were mostly legit and fine. 

I think perhaps one or two higher profile moments in OT of a hotly contested A-10 semifinal vs a rival, may be affecting some views a bit here. A little Blue Kool-Aid perhaps.

I mentioned in my other post that Buendia was fortunate to not get a 2nd yellow early in the 2nd half. He was warned, and he picked up a card later doing the same thing. It was a different type of 3rd foul but it was from behind, and seeking a card there is not unusual. 

The foul on Coppola after Johnson forced a turnover was one where SLU adamantly also wanted both the advantage for Seth, and a straight red.  Understandable.

I thought it was a good game, a fun game. Happy for Carlos. It was good for SLU to advance. On to the next one.

We’re just going to differ on this one. I watched the game. I don’t really have much of a gripe about the officiating overall, both teams have something they could complain about. It’s the reaction to the fouls by feigning injury and constant whining. You’re ok with it. Cool. I don’t like it. I don’t need to re watch the game to know. 

No Kool-aid here. I wouldn’t like SLU reacting the same way. Probably wouldn’t be a fan

I agree on Buendia. Thought he easily could have been guven a 2nd yellow and said as much to someone else. It’s why I was ok with not giving a red on the takedown that Anderson had a breakaway with after the foul. I guess an argument could be made to have let them play on but I was ok with the way it was handled 

9 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

We’re just going to differ on this one. I watched the game. I don’t really have much of a gripe about the officiating overall, both teams have something they could complain about. It’s the reaction to the fouls by feigning injury and constant whining. You’re ok with it. Cool. I don’t like it. I don’t need to re watch the game to know. 

No Kool-aid here. I wouldn’t like SLU reacting the same way. Probably wouldn’t be a fan

I agree on Buendia. Thought he easily could have been guven a 2nd yellow and said as much to someone else. It’s why I was ok with not giving a red on the takedown that Anderson had a breakaway with after the foul. I guess an argument could be made to have let them play on but I was ok with the way it was handled 

Fair enough, we'll disgree. To be clear, I saw one play in 110 minutes where Dayton tried to get a call that wasn't there or faked an injury. It was with a little over 2 minutes left in regulation. And again, there were 2 OT plays and 1 end of period where Dayton was seeking calls, legit calls that didn't go their way. That doesn't stand out as frequent, or constant for me. On to the next one.

18 minutes ago, courtside said:

Fair enough, we'll disgree. To be clear, I saw one play in 110 minutes where Dayton tried to get a call that wasn't there or faked an injury. It was with a little over 2 minutes left in regulation. And again, there were 2 OT plays and 1 end of period where Dayton was seeking calls, legit calls that didn't go their way. That doesn't stand out as frequent, or constant for me. On to the next one.

Yep on to the next one. I saw a half dozen or more though. What bothers you or what you call excessive is obviously different than it is for me. 

For me John Klein rides a fine line on what I call acceptable. I also have a sign that says get off my lawn in my front yard so …

7 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

Yep on to the next one. I saw a half dozen or more though. What bothers you or what you call excessive is obviously different than it is for me. 

For me John Klein rides a fine line on what I call acceptable. I also have a sign that says get off my lawn in my front yard so …

And that for me illustrates a bit of my point, about Johnny. If he’s on your team, you like him, if he’s on the other team, he’s a pain. 

There are times when some things can be excessive, whether it be complaining, poor officiating, or other things. But they are just that, exceptions, more isolated, less frequent. I even recently referenced the possible mock bracket UDub matchup. I still have post game photos from walking in the slop there. Some things stand out a lot. Others, mot so much for me. And this was in the not so much for me.

I always tell the kids not to kick the ball in your yard. 

One more win to go over Loyola. Let the pregame chatter with Gates and Hency begin. 

I watched the last 10 minutes of regulation, the two OT's and the penalty kicks, on ESPN+.

I thought SLU had the better of the play overall during that timeframe.  Judging from the shots on goal disparity, that might not have been the case earlier, but I defer to others in that regard.

Those were 3 huge saves by the SLU goalie in the PK period. 

I thought Dayton players complained excessively to the ref, which was a bad optic for Dayton, but irrelevant in the big picture.  I'm glad SLU advanced.

Also, Seth Anderson's younger brother, Tanner Anderson, officially signed this week with SLU.  He is a star goal scorer, broke his older brother's QND scoring record.  It will be good to have them both with the Billikens.

It is always good to see SLU beat Dayton, in anything.

1 minute ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

My good friend and former SLU walk on player under Harry Keough asked if Sr. Jean would be accompanying the Loyola Chicago team Sunday to SLU ...

Such is doubtful, but in the "word" of the late Joaquin Andujar, "youneverknow."

I don’t think Sr. Jean normally heads out of town for other than the mens BB team. But I guess she can do whatever she wants, who at Loyola-Chicago is going to tell her no?

2 hours ago, Bills By 40 said:

It's much more common among foreign players than American players, and that difference was highlighted in last night's game. Dayton is majority foreign born, it looks like. 

the word i questioned was africans, rolling in agony on the pitch seems common among all races

5 hours ago, Lord Elrond said:

LOL!