SLU Men's Soccer Thread

SLU has a 2024 commit from Drake Fournier from 06 Austin FC Academy

Drake is a versatile high level Defender/Midfielder who can both tackle at a high level, as well as get forward and finish in the attack in a variety of ways in the run of play and set pieces. 

A former regional USYNT camp invitee, Drake most recently helped lead his academy team to the quarterfinals of the MLS Next Cup. 

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

23 RPI, Atlantic 10 Regular Season Champs one season after losing all of the following off of an Elite 8 team:

Schulte, Murana, Keller, Niece, Vaughn, Palazzolo, Wilkinson,  Parker, Becher, etc….

And there will be an incoming top ranked 2023 recruiting class with immediate impact players. 

…………………..

1-0 over St. Joseph’s. 

4-4-2 vs 4-2-3-1

Very consistent substitution patterns and positioning for many games now. 

Coppola and Mads sharing time opposite Johnny. They have created more frequent chances via combination play in transition. And they have drawn many final third set piece fouls as well.

Brogan has been sharing time with Shterenberg, on the wing opposite Seth. Okpoye has been getting healthier and healthier and gave almost a full 90 in the defensive midfield with Christian. Lane, Alberto, Grady, Max in back. 

Breaking down 8-10 behind the ball in the final third is improving. 

Some elite saves from St. Joseph’s kept it close. 

Breakthrough came from Floriani winning a 50/50 ball to Mads, providing service to Johnny,:

https://twitter.com/slumenssoccer/status/1586535299139907585?s=21&t=hM8444jWr7gZLzboxL0IFQ

slufanskip likes this

Alberto Camargo has a sense of humor with his Men’s NCAA Bracket. 

He has SLU as the 16 overall seed in a mock bracket hosting the winner of Central Arkansas and Memphis. SLU then would potentially be playing at Washington (Lucas Meek and co. is having themselves another good season) the projected number 1 overall seed, in the 3rd round. 

SLU is currently 24 RPI, and 21st in the Coaches poll. 

slufanskip likes this

Friday was 4-4-2 v 4-4-2. 

UMass definitely wanted to defend the first 45, often with 8 behind the ball.

Conditions weren't great but that happens. Early goal allows you to play differently. Set piece finishing, Johnny to Lane to Johnny to C.J. lots of built up familiarity there over the season.

https://twitter.com/SLUMensSoccer/status/1588688675076177921?t=zUKvKzTKz8u0zUCGNM7P9Q&s=19

It easily could have been a few more. SLU held up well with possession and opportunity in the 2nd half. And that was the difference maker.

Wednesday night next hosting Dayton. 

SLU is 19 in RPI. 

slufanskip likes this

So if we lose to Dayton, or in the final to Loyola/Duquesne, do we still get a bid? 

Kind of the same question I asked of the women.  Back then, the answer was Saint Louis, Dayton and VCU were in and yet in the ashes, only SLU got the invite with all other A10 teams left at home.  Overall, there doesn't seem to be much to be impressed with across the Men's soccer teams as well.  I could not believe Dayton got up to #19 yet finished sixth in this conference.  

9 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

So if we lose to Dayton, or in the final to Loyola/Duquesne, do we still get a bid? 

Kind of the same question I asked of the women.  Back then, the answer was Saint Louis, Dayton and VCU were in and yet in the ashes, only SLU got the invite with all other A10 teams left at home.  Overall, there doesn't seem to be much to be impressed with across the Men's soccer teams as well.  I could not believe Dayton got up to #19 yet finished sixth in this conference.  

I would say the same thing I said about the women’s team - win the conference tournament and let other teams sweat out getting selected. Looking only at RPI right now, we are 18, Dayton is 46, Loy-Chi is 47, Duquesne is 68 per NCAA.com as of Nov 6th.  I don’t think any of them make the tournament if SLU wins the A10, because that would mean they all have another loss. SLU at 18 SHOULD be still in if they lose (and obviously whoever wins the A10 tournament will be in), but the other two I don’t think so. 

Game day for SLU. 

SLU is 18th in RPI. (polls are 20 in Coaches, 25 and 25 in CSN and TDS)

Dayton is 46. (Loyola 48, Duquesne 66)

Cousin vs Cousin, Donny and Cole.

Expect a 4-4-2 for SLU

Tofern

Floriani, Suarez, Easton, Warrington (Ross)

Buendia with Johnson or Okpoye

Shternenberg (Townsend) Anderson

Klein Coppola (Mads, Komodi, Gibbs)

……………..

Dayton is still an explosive offensive team at times. SLU can take advantage of Dayton’s aggressiveness, getting caught at times with 3 in the back, force set pieces, throws and corners. Get Johnny and CJ in space. 

…………………

Dayton will likely be in a 4-3-3. Wingbacks high.

Dayton’s attack is balanced, Umar is a high volume shot taker (as a team the get up a lot of shots) who the Flyers like to play through in the middle of the field. Quiah offers pace wide on the wing especially with odd numbers. Dayton will want to play up the middle, on the ground with its holding midfielder on the ground through to Ajago, and Day up top. 

Maintaining shape, defend the 18, double the pace wings wide, collapse the middle. Be efficient in the final 18, forcing turnovers, transition, and set pieces. 

As if I didn't have enough reasons already to hate Dayton their men's soccer team is icing on the cake. 

The incessant b*tching was unbearable and only overshadowed by the hypocrisy in their dirty play. Twice they committed obvious fouls on breakaway opportunities that IMO could've and should've been reds. 

I was directly parallel to the offsides call early in the first that took away what would've been a surefire goal and it was a terrible call. I complained about it all game. 

The worst part of the whole night was when we couldn't put away the ball that snuck through the defense on the free kick outside the box in the 2nd. I don't know how he even had the angle to miss high because the ball was seemingly already across the goal line. That was hard to forgive. 

Horrible game to watch.  Skip is right on the Dayton whining.  I don't see such acting and feigning of injury when the women play.  The emergency wing at the hospital must've been filled with Dayton players.  What?  All walked off under their own power .. some even kept playing.  

On to Loyola.  I would have preferred Duquesne just to see if their second place finish in the conference was bloated.

24 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Horrible game to watch.  Skip is right on the Dayton whining.  I don't see such acting and feigning of injury when the women play.  The emergency wing at the hospital must've been filled with Dayton players.  What?  All walked off under their own power .. some even kept playing.  

On to Loyola.  I would have preferred Duquesne just to see if their second place finish in the conference was bloated.

I thought it was an outstanding game to watch, to be honest.