SLU Men's Soccer Thread

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, almaman said:

Sorry I’m off till end😎

No. It's all good. I should know better. 

Just saw the 2nd goal. WTF? I don't think I've seen that since 5th grade. A Loyola player plays the ball back to the Keep from close to 50 yards out. The Loyola Keep's feet get crossed up while back peddling a little, he goes down and the ball slowly rolls into the goal.

A good, competitive, spirited game with Loyola. What a nice addition they have been to Men and Women’s Soccer. (and both of their teams know how to schedule non-conference too)

Loyola likes to play a 4-2-3-1 with Hency in the middle and Gates wide left, switching sides as play dictates. If both of them sound familiar, All American Hency played at Sporting Stl, and Gates played on the same SLSG team as Donny Ross, Seth and Tanner Anderson that made the USYS U19 National Semifinals.

Neil Jones moved on to Wisconsin and  Steve Bode has taken over the Ramblers.

………………

4-4-2 for SLU, settling in more and more from the back. Warrington, Easton, Suarez, Floriani. Shterenberg more and more on the wing, Ginbs and Coppola more up top. Okpoye out again with injury. 

……………..

SLU had much of the possession and run of play in both halves in an other wise pretty even game, with chance quantity and quality becoming more progressively dangerous. Fair result. A bit inefficient in the final 18, but solid for the most part defending the final 18. 

However, Loyola scored first on a failed clearance, and the ball bounces off of multiple players and finished. Defending the final 18 and finishing in the final 18 have been previous challenges. A little late close out to prevent the service, and unlucky with the scramble. The Loyola player was off sides to the side away from from the play. I’ve seen it called and not called. I’m okay with it. 

https://twitter.com/ramblersmsoc/status/1576367768475439106?s=21&t=2V9Oed8L3VcALtMwGfjflg

………………

47th minute: SLU tied it up in the opening moments of the 2nd half. Suarez found Anderson wide with a diagonal ball on the left wing, and Seth made a run past the defender to the and line, and slots it to Coppola for the finish. Just another example of Seth’s effectiveness on the wing for SLU.

https://twitter.com/slumenssoccer/status/1576383435622731776?s=21&t=2V9Oed8L3VcALtMwGfjflg

…………..

A gift own goal from Loyola on a pass back to the keeper put SLU up 2-1. Sometimes luck goes your way when you’re playing well.

https://twitter.com/slumenssoccer/status/1576388126687100928?s=21&t=2V9Oed8L3VcALtMwGfjflg

……………

4-0-1 for SLU in its last 5 games.

2 hours ago, courtside said:

A good, competitive, spirited game with Loyola. What a nice addition they have been to Men and Women’s Soccer. (and both of their teams know how to schedule non-conference too)

Loyola likes to play a 4-2-3-1 with Hency in the middle and Gates wide left, switching sides as play dictates. If both of them sound familiar, All American Hency played at Sporting Stl, and Gates played on the same SLSG team as Donny Ross, Seth and Tanner Anderson that made the USYS U19 National Semifinals.

Neil Jones moved on to Wisconsin and  Steve Bode has taken over the Ramblers.

………………

4-4-2 for SLU, settling in more and more from the back. Warrington, Easton, Suarez, Floriani. Shterenberg more and more on the wing, Ginbs and Coppola more up top. Okpoye out again with injury. 

……………..

SLU had much of the possession and run of play in both halves in an other wise pretty even game, with chance quantity and quality becoming more progressively dangerous. Fair result. A bit inefficient in the final 18, but solid for the most part defending the final 18. 

However, Loyola scored first on a failed clearance, and the ball bounces off of multiple players and finished. Defending the final 18 and finishing in the final 18 have been previous challenges. A little late close out to prevent the service, and unlucky with the scramble. The Loyola player was off sides to the side away from from the play. I’ve seen it called and not called. I’m okay with it. 

https://twitter.com/ramblersmsoc/status/1576367768475439106?s=21&t=2V9Oed8L3VcALtMwGfjflg

………………

47th minute: SLU tied it up in the opening moments of the 2nd half. Suarez found Anderson wide with a diagonal ball on the left wing, and Seth made a run past the defender to the and line, and slots it to Coppola for the finish. Just another example of Seth’s effectiveness on the wing for SLU.

https://twitter.com/slumenssoccer/status/1576383435622731776?s=21&t=2V9Oed8L3VcALtMwGfjflg

…………..

A gift own goal from Loyola on a pass back to the keeper put SLU up 2-1. Sometimes luck goes your way when you’re playing well.

https://twitter.com/slumenssoccer/status/1576388126687100928?s=21&t=2V9Oed8L3VcALtMwGfjflg

……………

4-0-1 for SLU in its last 5 games.

As far as the offsides, I get the I've seen it called and not called reasoning, but imo that's flawed thinking. If he's off, he's off. And on this play, there isn't any question that he distracted the defender causing him to play between the 2. The right play for the defender should have been to play the goal scorer even before he got the ball as the other guy was unquestionably offsides and should be an obvious call if the ball is played to him, The SLU defender could have made a better quicker decision, but the reason for the slow reaction was absolutely the offsides player. Whether it consistently gets called or not isn't relevant to whether it should be. And really, that call should be made 100% of the time if it affects the play and this one absolutely did

I feel bad for the Loyola Keep as he played a pretty good game, and that own goal was just a freak play that happens 1 in 100,000 times at the most at this level. 

I thought this was one of if not the best I've seen SLU play. We could have finished better, and a 3 or 4 goal game wouldn't have been surprising, but we were composed and patient playing the ball out of the back. We didn't just possess the ball by needlessly passing it around among defenders, but we moved it side to side as needed, stayed patient and continued looking to attack. 

I'm more and more impressed with Seth Anderson every game. He's so dynamic in space and seems to be able to get down the wing and even turn the corner on seemingly anyone. 

brianstl and courtside like this

Previously mentioned recent 2023 SLU commit, Midfielder, Jack Sullivan. He was named Colorado Rapids Academy Player of the Year. Also, as previously mentioned, SLU has the current Top Ranked ranked recruiting class nationally:

https://twitter.com/coloradorapids/status/1576762333182930944?s=21&t=ThT3ygJ2iYqcQLl528vfcA

7 hours ago, Cowboy II said:

-do we only get reports on wins?

Not sure if you are speaking to me or not, but I volunteer reports on many Men and Women’s games, recruiting, training, and a variety of related topics both on the board and in private messaging. Others, including yourself, are welcome to go to road and home games and comment any time. 

Some of us fly or drive to some/many away games. (A few have made every away game for years) I was unable to make the RI game. Several that did stayed out East, and will be at the Fordham game too.

I did speak throughout the entire game with some player parents/families who did make the flight for the Rhode Island game. So I know a lot that happened throughout the game through them.

(And sometimes I don’t get a chance to post right away or at all after games. Or I may want to go back and take a look at something later after attending a game.)

SLU now has a 35 RPI. (as Rhode Island is one of a few to several good RPI league teams)

For anyone interested, we have a group that will be at Saluggi’s East, 399 Grand Street, Lower East Side. (They will have the Cards games this weekend too.)

But it there was ever a day to celebrate a big SLU Women’s Soccer recruiting win, today would be one of them.

Cheers.

Blackburn looks like a fine academic institution, this question should not be interpreted as an insult to them. But about tomorrow’s game:

Why exactly are we playing a Division 3 school currently tied for last (1-4-3 in conference, 2-6-4 overall) in the SLIAC?

36 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

Blackburn looks like a fine academic institution, this question should not be interpreted as an insult to them. But about tomorrow’s game:

Why exactly are we playing a Division 3 school currently tied for last (1-4-3 in conference, 2-6-4 overall) in the SLIAC?

UIC double booked SLU & Loyola, game vs SLU was cancelled. This is presumably a last minute fill-in.

9 minutes ago, almaman said:

I hate when big college teams beat up on little ones like we are doing vs Blackburn College. Only seen our goalie once & he had a Pappy's bib on. 5-0 13 left in first. on the +

It is what it is. I would rather they took the day off than schedule a game like this. I hope the subs get plenty of minutes in this game. I really blame UIC for the scheduling fiasco that caused this, as far as I am concerned Chris May should tell all the SLU coaches to not schedule a game with them.

BilliesBy40 likes this

SLU has a new 2024 commit from Braydon Sellers.

Braydon is a finishing Forward with pace, that can play inside or wide, works well in both combination play and space. 

Braydon helped lead St. Louis City Academy to the Semifinals of U16 MLS Next Pro Cup this Summer. A USYNT ID participant, Braydon also formerly played club ball at both Lou Fusz and SLSG. Braydon attends Whitfield High School but does not play high school soccer.

On 10/6/2022 at 1:16 PM, courtside said:

Previously mentioned recent 2023 SLU commit, Midfielder, Jack Sullivan. He was named Colorado Rapids Academy Player of the Year. Also, as previously mentioned, SLU has the current Top Ranked ranked recruiting class nationally:

https://twitter.com/coloradorapids/status/1576762333182930944?s=21&t=ThT3ygJ2iYqcQLl528vfcA

SLU is getting around to self promoting its top ranked recruiting class. Keep in mind, this list does not include SLU's most recent 2024 commit, Braydon Sellers. (Their backgrounds can be found in this thread or send me a message)

https://twitter.com/SLUMensSoccer/status/1582442248335396864?t=wP6HAzqLdX5uD3swJ3dghw&s=19

BuiltFordBills likes this

Looks like SLU has got everything moving on the team. 3-1 over a ranked team on the road is not something anyone can complain about, and they are now in sole possession of 1st place in the A10. They appear in position to win the A10 and make noise in the post season.

6 minutes ago, Lord Elrond said:

Looks like SLU has got everything moving on the team. 3-1 over a ranked team on the road is not something anyone can complain about, and they are now in sole possession of 1st place in the A10. They appear in position to win the A10 and make noise in the post season.

I watched most of the 2nd half, thought the game time was 7 and logged on about 7:15 just in time to see the 3rd goal. Going to watch the 1st half today. 

Dayton was ranked 19th. They are largely a foreign team with players from all over the world including maybe 10 from Africa with about half those from Ghana

Player development. Moving pieces around to the fit the puzzle. Defend the 18, Finish the 18. (box to box was never really the issue) Redshirt success.

4-4-2 and SLU has settled into more consistent substitution patterns. (CJ and Mads, Alex and Brogan, Brian and Enzo, Carlos in goal)

it was the Lane Warrington show, contributing to all 3 SLU goals and a plethora of long throw ins created by final third pressure. Lane doing what he does. 

Dayton was often caught with just 3 in the back and a trailing midfielder. Lots of near miss through balls when SLU wasn’t winning those offensive third set pieces and throw ins. Coppola was the recipient of several. 

Good for Brogan Townsend. Slowed by injury to begin the season, switches to right wing from the defensive midfield, defends and works and gets rewarded after the Klein and Coppola give and go for SLU’s third goal. (from a Warrington long throw in)

https://twitter.com/slumenssoccer/status/1583979491059068929?s=21&t=Nu36Uji_5NnTQxAS_1AFDw

…………………

It took a little while to find the best place for versatile Max Floriani, who can play several positions, but he has settled well at right back. Along with Christian Buendia in the past, another Redshirt Freshmen success story. Max and Alberto using their size and length to gain position for the double header off of a Lane throw:

https://twitter.com/slumenssoccer/status/1583976510108553216?s=21&t=Nu36Uji_5NnTQxAS_1AFDw

…………………..

Lane plays very high left or right side at wing back, and this an example why, forcing the turnover and service to Alberto for his first goal of the night. 

https://twitter.com/slumenssoccer/status/1583971198358417409?s=21&t=Nu36Uji_5NnTQxAS_1AFDw

……………………

Contrary to casual observer belief, SLU has had a top 20 offense much of the season. They were 20th in scoring offense before the Dayton game. Tightening up in back, getting more from the defensive midfield, winning more aerial balls. pinching the middle, the defense has improved over the course of the season. 

……………

One game to play for a league title, for a team sitting at 19th in RPI with the country’s 17th toughest schedule. Not bad for a team that lost 8 starters to professional soccer. And they have one of the best 2023 classes nationally. Not bad at all. 

Gremio14 and slufanskip like this