SLU Men's Soccer Thread

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, wgstl said:

My god are they that bad? Idk why but I’d have assumed they had a good program 

SLU has a preeminent program, with 10 National Championships. SLU was known as the UCLA of College Soccer. 

When I was a youth growing up in Quincy, it was a big deal when the mighty St. Louis U Billikens came to town.

15 minutes ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

SLU has a preeminent program, with 10 National Championships. SLU was known as the UCLA of College Soccer. 

When I was a youth growing up in Quincy, it was a big deal when the mighty St. Louis U Billikens came to town.

Of course I know, but that’s….. that’s dominance over any single team. 

31 minutes ago, wgstl said:

My god are they that bad? Idk why but I’d have assumed they had a good program 

Marquette all time is a few games over .500.  They have made the tourney 3 times and they have had some good seasons.

Marquette soccer historically would be similar to SLU basketball historically.

Marquette has a similar record against Georgetown, UConn, and Notre Dame as they do against us. They are 0-11 against Indiana.

wgstl likes this

5 hours ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

Is SLU still playing Seth Anderson at the Wing?  If so, why?

He is a Striker, a natural goal scorer.  Play him there.

SLU hosts Marquette tonight at 7 p.m.  SLU leads the all-time series with Marquette 22-4-2.

With the Cardinals in position to clinch the NL (Comedy) Central tonight in Milwaukee, and the Billikens hosting Marquette on the pitch, tonight is a big night for St. Louis vs. Milwaukee.

And what player(s) would you play on the wing in place of him, to maximize team performance?

Seth plays on the wing because that is where he is more valuable to this team. He's played well there this season, just as he did last season. (Although the reasons he plays there are different this season vs last season)

4-4-2 with SLU finding a more consistent back line in recent games. (MU had at times 1 and at times 2 up top) Their location on the line has fluctuated, but it's the same 4 more and more lately. It's really 3 center backs and 1 wingback.

Okpoye gave some nice minutes off of the bench in the defensive midfield before re-aggravating a prior injury. Gave a spark.  Shterenberg keeps slowly coming back from preseason injury. It would be helpful for him to get a little more from him on the wing.

SLU has been betrer in the 2nd the last few games after getting the game to open up more.

Johnny was very good up top at La Salle, and again tonight. SLU paired 5 different players with him tonight. 

First goal Seth made a run on the left flank to Johhny:

https://twitter.com/SLUMensSoccer/status/1574934647716257792?t=mo3klrRPn_9zF7YVaRgPLQ&s=19

Max was just a tad slow with the close out for the equalizer. And Klein again finishes a volley clearing rebound, off of a corner. Previously Johnny has been taking the corners, but Komodi took this one and Klein finished the rebound. 

https://twitter.com/SLUMensSoccer/status/1574960901786341376?t=KZM7BDeP475fid45B9embA&s=19

Late SLU subs to maximize defending the lead bringing Mika and Ross into the midfield. Jack played a lot on the wing the last few games because he is two way reliable. But needs a little more attack there. Moore has gome from wing to outside back to wing again. 

Still searching for more consistent two way combination play on the wing and up top in addition to Seth and Jonny. Still putting more pieces of the puzzle together but getting there. It's a fun challenge. Good result. 

28 minutes ago, courtside said:

And what player(s) would you play on the wing in place of him, to maximize team performance?

Seth plays on the wing because that is where he is more valuable to this team. He's played well there this season, just as he did last season. (Although the reasons he plays there are different this season vs last season)

When I see SLU played a scoreless Homecomg game Tie vs. winless, woeful VCU, there is an obvious scoring issue. I saw Seth Anderson play in high school for QND, saw him score a hat trick vs. crosstown arch-rival Quincy High. When you have a proven goal scorer you play him at his natural position. 

This being said, I am very pleased with tonight’s win over Marquette. I would be pleased with a win over Marquette in anything, chess, badminton, tiddlywinks, etc. Bravo, Billikens!

HenryB and Adman like this

1 hour ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

When I see SLU played a scoreless Homecomg game Tie vs. winless, woeful VCU, there is an obvious scoring issue. I saw Seth Anderson play in high school for QND, saw him score a hat trick vs. crosstown arch-rival Quincy High. When you have a proven goal scorer you play him at his natural position. 

This being said, I am very pleased with tonight’s win over Marquette. I would be pleased with a win over Marquette in anything, chess, badminton, tiddlywinks, etc. Bravo, Billikens!

Good for you that you saw Seth play in high school once and that you are from the same home town. I'm sure you'll enjoy having two Andersons on the team next season. I knew when I asked that your interest here is your home town. But let's take a look.

So, you don't have an answer as to what player(s) you'd play on the wing instead? (rhetorical) You see that's kind of important. And the answer is SLU doesn't have the players to effectively and efficiently play there right now.

The reality is Seth has created more offense from the wing this season than he ever would have had a chance to do so up top with Johnny, because SLU doesn't have the same build out of the back nor down the flanks that they did last year. (That can happen when your team loses most of its starters to professional soccer and as well as a few of their expected replacements.)

Seth played primarily on the wing last year as SLU had two All American Forwards. Seth plays on the wing this year because that is where SLU can maximize his two way value to the team.

SLU doesn't have Parker's two way play on the other side, or Vaughn or Murana at wingback. They don't even have Paddelford or Rivera. There is a greater need for Seth on the wing, and he as done well there this season. (I'm sure you've seen some of the training sessions and games this sesson so you'd know this)

And as I'm sure you know from watching Seth at SLU for two seasons now, he often plays his wing position tucked inside the middle for both defending and creating attacking combination play with others. And, at other times he has made diagonal runs, and end line attacking runs too, while tracking up to 120 yards when necessary. 

SLU's first goal is a good example of what Seth brings from the wing. Klein forced the turnover while Seth was tucked in the middle. Seth creates a play back with Johnny:

https://twitter.com/SLUMensSoccer/status/1574934647716257792?t=bGMkrWdOb7BzuXqTj4WRrw&s=19

Here is Seth making a play, taking. shot with Johnny there for the rebound against La Salle:

https://twitter.com/SLUMensSoccer/status/1571284908600860673?t=TifTVyJ4aFdByP28FLMz7w&s=19

Here is Seth again making a run on the left wing weaving through players, cutting back in for the finish against SIUE:

https://twitter.com/SLUMensSoccer/status/1569853468462153728?t=V2t2ZIILKniGyEsC0zXPYA&s=19

Here is Seth tucked in the middle forcing a turnover and Legut goal:

https://twitter.com/SLUMensSoccer/status/1562915912730218496?t=-xPAmH5oxhU83WtPD7G3Uw&s=19

In SLU's first 6 games this year, they scored 12 goals. In SLU's first 6 games last year, they scored 13. So perhaps there's a little more to it than that.

1 hour ago, courtside said:

Good for you that you saw Seth play in high school once and that you are from the same home town. I'm sure you'll enjoy having two Andersons on the team next season. I knew when I asked that your interest here is your home town. But let's take a look.

So, you don't have an answer as to what player(s) you'd play on the wing instead? (rhetorical) You see that's kind of important. And the answer is SLU doesn't have the players to effectively and efficiently play there right now.

The reality is Seth has created more offense from the wing this season than he ever would have had a chance to do so up top with Johnny, because SLU doesn't have the same build out of the back nor down the flanks that they did last year. (That can happen when your team loses most of its starters to professional soccer and as well as a few of their expected replacements.)

Seth played primarily on the wing last year as SLU had two All American Forwards. Seth plays on the wing this year because that is where SLU can maximize his two way value to the team.

SLU doesn't have Parker's two way play on the other side, or Vaughn or Murana at wingback. They don't even have Paddelford or Rivera. There is a greater need for Seth on the wing, and he as done well there this season. (I'm sure you've seen some of the training sessions and games this sesson so you'd know this)

And as I'm sure you know from watching Seth at SLU for two seasons now, he often plays his wing position tucked inside the middle for both defending and creating attacking combination play with others. And, at other times he has made diagonal runs, and end line attacking runs too, while tracking up to 120 yards when necessary. 

SLU's first goal is a good example of what Seth brings from the wing. Klein forced the turnover while Seth was tucked in the middle. Seth creates a play back with Johnny:

https://twitter.com/SLUMensSoccer/status/1574934647716257792?t=bGMkrWdOb7BzuXqTj4WRrw&s=19

Here is Seth making a play, taking. shot with Johnny there for the rebound against La Salle:

https://twitter.com/SLUMensSoccer/status/1571284908600860673?t=TifTVyJ4aFdByP28FLMz7w&s=19

Here is Seth again making a run on the left wing weaving through players, cutting back in for the finish against SIUE:

https://twitter.com/SLUMensSoccer/status/1569853468462153728?t=V2t2ZIILKniGyEsC0zXPYA&s=19

Here is Seth tucked in the middle forcing a turnover and Legut goal:

https://twitter.com/SLUMensSoccer/status/1562915912730218496?t=-xPAmH5oxhU83WtPD7G3Uw&s=19

In SLU's first 6 games this year, they scored 12 goals. In SLU's first 6 games last year, they scored 13. So perhaps there's a little more to it than that.

What's your explanation for the scoreless standoff with VCU?  VCU exited that game 0-4-4, as in 0 Wins, for the season.  That game drew a SLU Homecoming crowd of 5,762, who watched a scoreless tie.  

Would you play Gold Glove 3B Nolan Arenado in CF if the Cardinals had a "need" there?

Would Tampa Bay play QB Tom Brady at TE if the Bucs had a "need" there?

Seth Anderson's high school career involved much more than one game against the crosstown rival.  He graduated from QND as its all-time leading goal scorer with 79 Goals.  His record has since been broken this season by his younger brother Tanner, who will be joining him at SLU.  But the fact I did see Seth Anderson dominate in person in one game is relevant to this discussion.  I do live in California, so my opportunities to see Midwest soccer games are limited.  Scoring a hat trick against the crosstown rival Blue Devils is not chopped liver.  Both QND and QHS have long time successful high school soccer programs.  QND's longtime Soccer Coach is former Billiken Greg Reis.  I asked a legitimate question after seeing that VCU 0-0 score, and also seeing the reports from the earlier 3-0 home loss to SMU, the 3-1 road loss at Louisville, and the 2-1 home loss to Lipscomb.

I want the best for SLU, my alma mater.  This year's team does have a goal scoring issue, and has a big time goal scorer on its roster.

6 hours ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

What's your explanation for the scoreless standoff with VCU?  VCU exited that game 0-4-4, as in 0 Wins, for the season.  That game drew a SLU Homecoming crowd of 5,762, who watched a scoreless tie.  

Would you play Gold Glove 3B Nolan Arenado in CF if the Cardinals had a "need" there?

Seth Anderson's high school career involved much more than one game against the crosstown rival.  He graduated from QND as its all-time leading goal scorer with 79 Goals.  His record has since been broken this season by his younger brother Tanner, who will be joining him at SLU.  But the fact I did see Seth Anderson dominate in person in one game is relevant to this discussion.  I do live in California, so my opportunities to see Midwest soccer games are limited.  Scoring a hat trick against the crosstown rival Blue Devils is not chopped liver.  Both QND and QHS have long time successful high school soccer programs.  QND's longtime Soccer Coach is former Billiken Greg Reis.  I asked a legitimate question after seeing that VCU 0-0 score, and also seeing the reports from the earlier 3-0 home loss to SMU, the 3-1 road loss at Louisville, and the 2-1 home loss to Lipscomb.

I want the best for SLU, my alma mater.  This year's team does have a goal scoring issue, and has a big time goal scorer on its roster.

This team went to an elite 8 and lost like what 8 starters 7 playing in at leas MLS2? I think it's fair to play wait and see this year. 

slufanskip likes this

7 hours ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

Respectfully, you seem to be in this thread to talk about your home town and baseball. And yes Tommy Edman won a GG at 2nd base and moved to SS this season to help the team. But let’s keep it about SLU Men’s Soccer here.

There are 31 players on the team. I’ve only seen you discuss one. (I’d be happy to post in a separate Quincy thread or separate Cardinals thread. I’ve great experiences at their past national high school soccer tourney that had many elite national teams, as well as the hoops shootout)

Anyone who reads this thread knows my thoughts on Seth from when he was playing SLSG Elite, USYS through now. We even had a recent poster comment about Seth after the Lipscomb game without knowing who he was. It was a good observation. (feel free to read our exchange) I’m also happy to give an update on Tanner’s ECNL season. (2nd year in ECNL ball for Tanner)

Even last year as Seth was adjusting to the college game, I said wait, you’ll see, to some here. Everyone has an adjustment period to the college game. I went through this with some with Emily Gaebe on the Women’s team. And Seth has done well and he will continue to do so.

You do realize many recruits were superstars at either their high school or academy level. Yes?

Karson Gibbs had 85 goals, multiple Missouri State Titles, multiple All American, etc…despite missing a lot of time with injury. (Seth missed an entire high school season due to injury too). He even trained with stlCITY2, etc…and he is still trying to get consistent plying time to adjust to the college game. CJ Coppola another Gatorade Player of the Year, played with Devin at Minnesota United Academy (led team in goals) and so on. Those players are less versatile than Seth for example. They would not have the success of Seth on the wing.

If you are going to move one player to a different position, which SLU has done often this season, it makes sense to suggest who would take that player’s place, if we are in it for the team. You were also presented with actual goal scoring numbers which weren’t so different. What stood out a little more is that SLU had given up twice as many goals in those first six games compares to last year. Seems important. 

SLU for example, has the number 1 recruiting class in the country right now for 2023. Leatherman, Dougherty, Moore, and so on, are big time players. They just picked up Jack Sullivan from Colorado Rapids and so on. 

If you really want the best for SLU, maybe show some interest in the other 30 players too. 

12 minutes ago, courtside said:

Respectfully, you seem to be in this thread to talk about your home town and baseball. There are 31 players on the team. I’ve only seen you discuss one. (I’d be happy to post in a separate Quincy thread or separate Cardinals thread. I’ve great experiences at their past national high school soccer tourney that had many elite national teams, as well as the hoops shootout)

Anyone who reads this thread knows my thoughts on Seth from when he was playing SLSG Elite, USYS through now. We even had a recent poster comment about Seth after the Lipscomb game without knowing who he was. It was a good observation. (feel free to read our exchange) I’m also happy to give an update on Tanner’s ECNL season. (2nd year in ECNL ball for Tanner)

Even last year as Seth was adjusting to the college game, I said wait, you’ll see, to some here. Everyone has an adjustment period to the college game. I went through this with some with Emily Gaebe on the Women’s team. And Seth has done well and he will continue to do so.

You do realize many recruits were superstars at either their high school or academy level. Yes?

Karson Gibbs had 85 goals, multiple Missouri State Titles, multiple All American, etc…despite missing a lot of time with injury. (Seth missed an entire high school season due to injury too). He even trained with stlCITY2, etc…and he is still trying to get consistent plying time to adjust to the college game. CJ Coppola another Gatorade Player of the Year, played with Devin at Minnesota United Academy (led team in goals) and so on. Those players are less versatile than Seth for example. They would not have the success of Seth on the wing.

If you are going to move one player to a different position, which SLU has done often this season, it makes sense to suggest who would take that player’s place, if we are in it for the team. You were also presented with actual goal scoring numbers which weren’t so different. What stood out a little more is that SLU had given up twice as many goals in those first six games compares to last year. Seems important. 

SLU for example, has the number 1 recruiting class in the country right now for 2023. Leatherman, Dougherty, Moore, and so on, are big time players. They just picked up Jack Sullivan from Colorado Rapids and so on. 

If you really want the best for SLU, maybe show some interest in the other 30 players too. 

I see a team with goal scoring issues, and I am aware of a player on the roster who is a big time goal scorer not being played at his striker position.  I asked the question why.

Despite your paragraphs after paragraphs, your answer is team need.  I understand that, but do not agree with it.  As the expert near the scene, you be the one to give alternatives.  I'm sure alternatives (plural) at wing exist on that 31 player roster.  

17 minutes ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

I see a team with goal scoring issues, and I am aware of a player on the roster who is a big time goal scorer not being played at his striker position.  I asked the question why.

Despite your paragraphs after paragraphs, your answer is team need.  I understand that, but do not agree with it.  You are the one professing to be the expert.  You be the one to give alternatives.  I'm sure alternatives (plural) at wing exist on that 31 player roster.  

I’m not the one advocating to move Seth.

When asked whom you would play at wing instead, crickets.

When given an example of a GG baseball player (same team, same year) who moved positions to help the teem, crickets. 

When presented with the goal numbers (I believe you lawyers call it evidence) you didn’t want to talk about the numbers. I’d rather not get deep into soccer analytics here but we can if you wish 

Few things are less productive in life than complaint without change. 

That’s the point, SLU had to put a defensive midfielder (Mika) on the wing as well as an outside back (Moore) because they lacked alternatives on the wing, even with Seth playing on the other side. That was and still is the point. Remember, I’m not the one advocating to moving Seth. (Neither are Kevin, Kevin, and Kris)

You are a Cardinals fan, and you are proud of your home town of Quincy. I get it. But you seem to be more interested in those topics here than SLU Men’s Soccer.  So I’m going to pivot back to that moving forward. (I’m always happy to discuss all 31 players and the entire season of games and training.)

14 minutes ago, courtside said:

I’m not the one advocating to move Seth.

When asked whom you would play at wing instead, crickets.

When given an example of a GG baseball player (same team, same year) who moved positions to help the teem, crickets. 

When presented with the goal numbers (I believe you lawyers call it evidence) you didn’t want to talk about the numbers. I’d rather not get deep into soccer analytics here but we can if you wish 

Few things are less productive in life than complaint without change. 

That’s the point, SLU had to put a defensive midfielder (Mika) on the wing as well as an outside back (Moore) because they lacked alternatives on the wing, even with Seth playing on the other side. That was and still is the point. Remember, I’m not the one advocating to moving Seth. (Neither are Kevin, Kevin, and Kris)

You are a Cardinals fan, and you are proud of your home town of Quincy. I get it. But you seem to be more interested in those topics here than SLU Men’s Soccer.  So I’m going to pivot back to that moving forward. (I’m always happy to discuss all 31 players and the entire season of games and training.)

Goal scoring, as in more of same, is a team need.

12 hours ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

Even Q U was good then if i recall correctly.

1 hour ago, Taj79 said:

Next year will mark the 50th year since SLU's last national title soccer appearance.  ICYMI. @Bay Area Billiken== you were what?  11?  I was 16.

I do remember the runner-up finish in ‘74 season vs Howard, which was played at Busch Stadium II. I was 14.

SLU has 49 NCAA Tournament appearances. 

14 hours ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

Despite your paragraphs after paragraphs, your answer is team need.  I understand that, but do not agree with it.  As the expert near the scene, you be the one to give alternatives.  I'm sure alternatives (plural) at wing exist on that 31 player roster.  

I think Seth's skill set is better suited for a wing. That's not saying he couldn't play a striker role. Seth brings the ability to drop further back and defend plus the speed to get down the wing and cross it, turn the corner and drive the end line, (like he did on the assist to John Klein last game), or cut it back and take a shot. Playing the wing gets Seth more opportunities in space, opportunities to use his speed and his ability to go at defenders more often.  For example, the USMNT's best player is probably Pulisic. They are having trouble finding a striker and I'm sure Christian could play there but it's not where he's best suited. His skill set is best suited for a wing and that's where he plays. 

courtside likes this

7 hours ago, slufanskip said:

I think Seth's skill set is better suited for a wing. That's not saying he couldn't play a striker role. Seth brings the ability to drop further back and defend plus the speed to get down the wing and cross it, turn the corner and drive the end line, (like he did on the assist to John Klein last game), or cut it back and take a shot. Playing the wing gets Seth more opportunities in space, opportunities to use his speed and his ability to go at defenders more often.  For example, the USMNT's best player is probably Pulisic. They are having trouble finding a striker and I'm sure Christian could play there but it's not where he's best suited. His skill set is best suited for a wing and that's where he plays. 

I agree, Seth’s pace and skill set work very well on the left wing.  I liked the Ukrainian kid (Alex S.) on the right opposite Parker with Becher at the 9 last season - was my fave attacking line up.  The fact Alex is slowly working his way back from injury bodes well for SLU.

courtside likes this

SLU down 1-0 at the half on a Loyola goal about 12-13 min in. Should have been called offsides but wasn't. The goal scorer wasn't off but there was another player maybe 7-8 yards away that was clearly off. He wasn't actively involved in the play but his position distracts the defender as he has to account for this other player causing him to be out of position to defend the goal scorer. I looked it up to see if my interpretation was correct and I believe I am correct, and it should have been called offsides. 

SLU despite being down had the better of play but not substantially. SLU is looking much more composed than I felt they looked in previous games. Less boot and chase. 

SLU scores a couple of minutes into the 2nd half. Seth Anderson turns the corner and drives towards the goal sending a low cross to CJ Coppola at the far post. This is why Seth plays the wing, this is 2 games in a row where he has space on the wing, turns the corner and crosses to a goal scorer.