SLU Men's Soccer Thread

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lipscomb was the defending ASUN conf champions, they were picked to win it in preseason polls again, and their goalkeeper and 5 other players were on the preseason honors list for their conf, so they are a good team.

I think soccer demands players know how each other plays more than most sports, and the transfer heavy Billikens have a lot of players who are just getting to know how to play together. Right now they are just not meshing. We’ll see how the year unfolds, but I’m betting they will look a lot better as time goes by.

4 hours ago, Lord Elrond said:

Lipscomb was the defending ASUN conf champions, they were picked to win it in preseason polls again, and their goalkeeper and 5 other players were on the preseason honors list for their conf, so they are a good team.

I think soccer demands players know how each other plays more than most sports, and the transfer heavy Billikens have a lot of players who are just getting to know how to play together. Right now they are just not meshing. We’ll see how the year unfolds, but I’m betting they will look a lot better as time goes by.

Without looking I think the ASUN is the refuge for SEC mens soccer programs.

I think you’re spot on with the meshing comment. A lot of really talented players just not coming together yet.

14 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

You're in the metz club for a reason...I can't believe I'm responding to this but it's just not true.

Boo on you for responding. Never posts on soccer until something bad happens. If no one ever responded or quoted him he'd just be talking to himself. Probably spends a lot of time doing that anyway though. 

5 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

Without looking I think the ASUN is the refuge for SEC mens soccer programs.

I think you’re spot on with the meshing comment. A lot of really talented players just not coming together yet.

I think that’s why they weren’t dumped out of the rankings (2 losses and they only dropped to 17th). The experts think there is a lot of talent there too.  They need to pull it together.

18 hours ago, Lord Elrond said:

I think that’s why they weren’t dumped out of the rankings (2 losses and they only dropped to 17th). The experts think there is a lot of talent there too.  They need to pull it together.

I find that interesting. Can only imagine if our basketball team was ranked 10th and lost two games they would drop out of the 25. 

On 8/31/2022 at 9:26 AM, billikenfan05 said:

Soccer people are just built different. 😤

The only real negative with losing the first two games is our chance of finishing in the Top 4 is pretty much wiped out.  We play UW at home last year and we’re in the Cup…with even odds to win the whole thing…

47 minutes ago, Gremio14 said:

The only real negative with losing the first two games is our chance of finishing in the Top 4 is pretty much wiped out.  We play UW at home last year and we’re in the Cup…with even odds to win the whole thing…

It would be nice if they played more games in neutral sites in the Cup (maybe if you make it to the final 16, it’s a neutral site game) but I’m sure that would involve more costs that they want to pay for. It is what it is, we’ll just have to play the games we are assigned.