SLU Men's Soccer Thread

SLU has received a commitment from 2023 Center Back, Cole Dougherty.

Cole is a defender (Center Back) from Solar Academy (Dallas) MLS Next. Solar is one of the country’s best current and historic club programs nationally for both Boys and Girls.

He was recently named Honorable Mention Best 11, at this month’s Generation Adidas Cup in U17. His team advanced to the Round of 16, the only independent club to do so.

His team also won the top flight division at the Jefferson Cup in Virginia this past month.

His club team won the U16 Copa Rayados last season. Cole also played up with the U19’s in the San Diego Surf Cup that season, as well as in the Solar Premier Cup. 

As a Sophomore, he helped lead his high school team, Rockwall Heath, to the 6A State Championship Game with a strong defensive effort, giving up just 1 goal in 6 games leading to the final. 

HoosierPal likes this

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, courtside said:

SLU has received a commitment from 2023 Center Back, Cole Dougherty.

Cole is a defender (Center Back) from Solar Academy (Dallas) MLS Next. Solar is one of the country’s best current and historic club programs nationally for both Boys and Girls.

He was recently named Honorable Mention Best 11, at this month’s Generation Adidas Cup in U17. His team advanced to the Round of 16, the only independent club to do so.

His team also won the top flight division at the Jefferson Cup in Virginia this past month.

His club team won the U16 Copa Rayados last season. Cole also played up with the U19’s in the San Diego Surf Cup that season, as well as in the Solar Premier Cup. 

As a Sophomore, he helped lead his high school team, Rockwall Heath, to the 6A State Championship Game with a strong defensive effort, giving up just 1 goal in 6 games leading to the final. 

Defense wins championships. Let’s go!! Love that CKK is keeping that Texas pipeline open. Steer them away from SMU. 

HoosierPal likes this

1 hour ago, cgeldmacher said:

Courtside, how are we doing with recruiting Generation Adidas players?  I know that the guys we just lost to the draft were all GA guys.  Seems like getting that caliber of player is the key to success in college soccer.

I think I understand what you are asking. And, SLU is doing well with Academy recruiting. But keep in mind, there are plenty of successful examples with a wide variety of backgrounds.

Isaiah Parker wasn’t on everyone’s radar when SLU first started recruiting him, landed him, developed him, and helped him become one of the best Freshman in the country this past season. And, he of course signed a Generation Adidas deal after that. He was perhaps known more for his his wrestling accolades in some circles. That of course worked out well for Parker and SLU. SLU has some long term relationships with a few of his club coaches. And, now SLU has an additional 2022 Left Back recruit from the same club, Kevin Rivera.

SLU recently targeted a two sport athlete from Minnesota, who joined Minnesota United, did well, began training up with their first team, and later signed a deal with them. Meteoric rise. 

Other players are more obvious MLS Next Academy standouts that may never make it to a campus. With some others, SLU competes with Indiana or Notre Dame or UCLA or whomever. Others, i will see play and say this kid can play and I have no idea why he isn’t playing academy or being more highly recruited. 

In the new example here, SLU had been recruiting Dougherty a long time, well before he was on the radar of some others. A large part of recruiting is identifying talent, preferably early on, building long term mutual interest relationships, closing for a player, It’s also timing, and even some luck too in some situations. 

Locally, Seth Anderson, Donny Ross etc didn’t play Academy ball, but they can play. Ross’ cousins played Academy at times, non Academy at times, even went back and forth, so that can happen as well. I can assure you future Billiken Tanner Anderson can play. Matteo Boasso plays Academy ball at SLSG, and, he can play too. Marcos Moore is an Academy player in Houston at Rise. And so on. It varies.

One thing you will also see is a few redshirted players from last year that step right in and contribute more than you may think. They are ready to go. That’s part of the player development and depth with recruiting.

Transfers too. Alberto Suarez is a good Center Back. Lane Warrington will play a lot of right back etc..

Chandler Vaughn was stuck on the bench at Pittsburgh before transferring to SLU. Simon Becher played at Holy Cross before SLU. 

Kipp Keller wasn’t always a big strong 6’2 Center Back. Another player such as Patrick Schulte was a well known stud for years. So it varies. All that matters is getting players that fit at SLU, developing them, having success at SLU and having them continue that after SLU. So it’s a mix and a variety that has been successful, of geography, type of club team, etc…it’s pretty fun.

The rolodex of names and connections that Kalish, Berstch, Stoll have is vast, far and wide.

Resources are important too. Budget. Travel, Facilities. Success to sell etc…

SLU’s on field success has also helped get SLU visits, conversations, etc with some that hadn’t before. 

I like where SLU is at with recruiting right now. Hopefully it keeps getting better and better. It is a daily grind. The work that goes into for both the Men and Women’s programs is a lot.

………………….

Women’s Soccer is a little bit different and has its own sets of challenges with recruiting. Similarities and differences.There’s been a lot going on with that this past week so I can probably post something separately in their thread. 

I can attest to the fact SLU has picked up an impressive facility for recruiting with the grand opening of the new locker rooms and team space on the south end. The men's locker room was fantastic and such a huge leap versus the locker room underneath Hermann.  Bright, name plates for each player, huge smart TV, etc.  The "recruit" room was amazing....it is basically the glassed area right behind the goal.  Not sure I would want to watch a full game from that angle but for a recruit to walk in and take in the game from there will be special.

3 hours ago, hmart23 said:

I saw that Mason Leeth isn't listed on the Spring Game roster. Is he still attending SLU and planning on playing in the fall? Or is he fully committing to playing with Sporting KC II?

Mason is not on SLU’s Spring roster. That’s correct. He had a brief trial with Sporting KC II. 

Keller is a sometimes starter for Austin FC MLS. Becher, Schulte, Parker, Niece, Vaughn, Murana, Palazzolo have all signed with, and, have been starting for their MLS Next Pro teams.

1 hour ago, courtside said:

Mason is not on SLU’s Spring roster. That’s correct. He had a brief trial with Sporting KC II. 

Keller is a sometimes starter for Austin FC MLS. Becher, Schulte, Parker, Niece, Vaughn, Murana, Palazzolo have all signed with, and, have been starting for their MLS Next Pro teams.

Yeah I see that. Does anyone know if he's going to be on the squad in the fall?

23 minutes ago, hmart23 said:

Yeah I see that. Does anyone know if he's going to be on the squad in the fall?

Chandler Vaughn is the only player that left the door open to return to SLU. He had a strong showing with L.A. Galaxy, and he signed with their MLS Next Pro team.

3 minutes ago, courtside said:

Chandler Vaughn is the only player that left the door open to return to SLU. He had a strong showing with L.A. Galaxy, and he signed with their MLS Next Pro team.

Got it. I just don't remember seeing anything about him not returning. Must have just missed it. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just now getting around to this…Simon Becher was in town this past weekend in case anyone missed it. 

Here is his assist on one of the Whitecaps FC 2 goals in a 2-1 win over stlCiTY2. Flick on header after making a run:

https://twitter.com/mlsnextpro/status/1523118232462266368?s=21&t=qdIevoAeCZEHl85rZxDGTQ

And here he is with AJ after the game:

https://twitter.com/slumenssoccer/status/1523414665052946432?s=21&t=qdIevoAeCZEHl85rZxDGTQ

SLUBALLS and slufanskip like this

SLU has a few new 2022 commitments:

2022 Karson Gibbs committed to SLU. 

He is a Forward who played at Fort Zumwalt South High School where he was part of 3 Missouri Class 3 State Title Teams. He scored 113 goals in high school, including at times when “slowed” by a meniscus injury.

He is the current Stl Post Dispatch Metro Player of the Year, and, a United Soccer Coaches All American.

Most recently he has played with stlCITY2 this Spring. He has also previously played club ball with SLSG and Sporting Stl. 

Strong technically on the ball, excels 1v1, with the ball at his feet or in space. He’s played a lot of attacking midfield in club ball, and, he is a very good passer too. 

……………………

2022 Bryce Warhaft, a Defender from Indy Eleven has also committed to SLU.

Prior to Indy Eleven, the well traveled Warhaft has also played academy ball with Indiana Fire U19 Academy, Sporting KC, Orlando City, and, Weston FC. (He is from Weston, FL)

Bryce does a little bit of everything well as a defender. He is a two footed Center Back who can also play on the outside. Distributes, tackles, and can get up the field in the attack. 

2 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

As an out-of-towner now ... where is Centene Stadium being built?

North side of Market St just west of Union Station (see below).  I zoomed out so you can see where it will be in relation to relation to Chaifetz Arena at S Compton & 64.

image.thumb.png.797094e97424e68432b7a22ef8eb3006.png

3 hours ago, RUBillsFan said:

North side of Market St just west of Union Station (see below).  I zoomed out so you can see where it will be in relation to relation to Chaifetz Arena at S Compton & 64.

image.thumb.png.797094e97424e68432b7a22ef8eb3006.png

It's in such a prime location - another huge part in the St. Louis City renaissance. Can't wait to have the best supported franchise in the MLS. 

1 hour ago, Bills By 40 said:

It's in such a prime location - another huge part in the St. Louis City renaissance. Can't wait to have the best supported franchise in the MLS. 

It would be nice if that St. Louis City renaissance included fixing pot holes sometime before summer.

AGB91 and JohnnyJumpUp like this

5 hours ago, RUBillsFan said:

I hadn't seen this posted yet:

Centene Stadium capacity is supposed to be 22,500.  Seems unlikely this game would break the attendance record, but it would draw a massive crowd to open up the new stadium.

This well sell out completely, 90% of the folks just will want to see what it looks like

43 minutes ago, wgstl said:

This well sell out completely, 90% of the folks just will want to see what it looks like

& the whole experience. I'm guessing completely different folks than the usual folks who populate arenas for the other 4 major pro sport teams when we've had them. upper rows will have unprecedented view of city skyline.