SLU Men's Soccer Thread

26 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

Also with Musah my understanding is that this match would have tied him to the US.  I'm sure his commitment is good but if what I understand is true you get him on the field and cement it. Not only that we just don't get to see Him, Reyna, Pulisic, and McKennie all together very often. Imo the more time they spend together the better

My guess is, Musah will play on Sunday in the Final and that will be that. Totally agree with your statement about Honduras. They were an embarrassment. It was really hard to watch. It’s 1 of the reasons, I’m giving the guys a bit of a pass for the sloppiness last night. When your opponent is doing nothing but head-hunting, then rolling around screaming in the grass anytime they get breathed on, it’s really hard to find any rhythm. Another reason I give the guys a pass on sloppiness is because this is the first real competitive (non-friendly) match we’ve played in a long time. I think it’s fair to say some sloppiness is to be expected. While it would be great to win the Nation’s League and/or Gold Cup, I’m much more concerned about having everything cleaned up and sharp for qualifying this fall. As for Sargent, I still think the starting job is still his to lose. His patience and hold up play is so much better than other strikers we have. But if Daryl Dike transfers into a top Euro league and keeps up his scoring pace, it will be hard to keep him off the field.

slufanskip and Pistol like this

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

17 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-yep, I read that

Yep. And that’s common with some other places and facilities. Duke’s is behind the same end goal etc…Space is also a factor with the scope of these things.  Money of course also in part decides the extent of a facility. UNC and Clemson recently completed soccer buildings just under $10 Million. More regionally, Iowa is building one about half of that cost. These don’t count other upgrades such as LED scoreboards, and other stadium upgrades, chair back seats, etc..at places, multiple grass and turf practice fields. 

Here’s a current photo for anyone else.  Hopefully it will be a long term thinking project that covers a variety of needs and allows for future ideas as well, and, aesthetically pleasing viewing decks etc..Between the near goal and service road in this picture. 

45A84D8F-C036-4F2A-8954-3C1DFD82EC8B.jpeg

1 minute ago, courtside said:

Yep. And that’s common with some other places and facilities. Duke’s is behind the same end goal etc…Space is also a factor with the scope of these things.  Money of course also in part decides the extent of a facility. UNC and Clemson recently completed soccer buildings just under $10 Million. More regionally, Iowa is building one about half of that cost. These don’t count other upgrades such as LED scoreboards, and other stadium upgrades, chair back seats, etc..at places. 

Here’s a current photo for anyone else.  Hopefully it will be a long term thinking project that covers a variety of needs and allows for future ideas as well. Between the near goal and service road in this picture. 

45A84D8F-C036-4F2A-8954-3C1DFD82EC8B.jpeg

How wide is that area?

1 minute ago, cheeseman said:

How wide is that area?

I don’t know the specifics of width and depth. But I will try to dig up a few examples of what other schools have done or are doing, which include similarities and differences. This can give a little background but isn’t meant to be a this vs that comparison.

The first four photos here are North Carolina’s soccer building and stadium. We may as well start the conversation with one of the best programs. Just under $10 Million a couple of years ago. It’s tied into their other buildings, football building is connected. And it has both soccer and lacrosse usage. $36 Million separately for the stadium part of the renovations. 

Just after that is Duke’s facility with their building to the right in the photo. After that is Clemson’s just completed soccer building. An additional link to the inside of Clemson’s new soccer building. 

https://clemsontigers.com/soccer-operations-complex-construction/

Creighton built their facility almost 20 year ago ($13.5 Million) with renovations 11 years ago. 

https://gocreighton.com/facilities/morrison-stadium/9

This is South Carolina from about 4 year’s ago:

D2A1F552-AFF1-4574-A872-EDD72B6D4E3B.jpeg

A5CCE23A-A594-4743-8251-9924BC219832.jpeg

5FE93A5E-7EEC-4543-873E-E58E57E019F8.jpeg

FB46AB6A-806D-411C-B62A-0F1EF7DA5ED5.jpeg

9B4AF6AE-1345-4509-9EF3-BF89B99F0330.jpeg

0A425A99-6005-4B1D-9E66-75F6612DDFB7.jpeg

58 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

How wide is that area?

I'd say about 30 yards deep to the Service Rd and obviously the width of the field. It seems they'd have to be pretty tight on the goal maybe 15-20 feet off the end line max. 

44 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

I'd say about 30 yards deep to the Service Rd and obviously the width of the field. It seems they'd have to be pretty tight on the goal maybe 15-20 feet off the end line max. 

My guess is it will be built along almost the entire end line and will back right up to that path. I wouldn't be surprised to see a scoreboard relocation/upgrade along with it.

BilliesBy40 and slufanskip like this

33 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

My guess is it will be built along almost the entire end line and will back right up to that path. I wouldn't be surprised to see a scoreboard relocation/upgrade along with it.

That would be my assumption also. Plenty of places don't have a lot of room behind the goal so it should be fine

39 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

No mention of a weight room in the short article nor in the renderings.  @brianstl do you know if one is to be included?  There is mention of a 'training center'. 

It’s 5,000 square feet, so, not enough room for a full service weight room. But there will likely be some equipment in the Sports Medicine portion. 

Having a building next to the soccer stadium is “standard,” in soccer. 

Based on other recent projects, sizes, costs, etc…SLU’s is about 1/3 or 1/2 the size of the larger ones but similar in size some others out there. The larger ones have been in the $10 Million max range. 

Mississippi St. for example, who has secured a few recent top local recruits has a recent smaller one for close to $2 Million. Smaller sized than SLU’s.

Having something is standard across college soccer for player/coach care, comfort, convenience, recruiting, etc…

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

No mention of a weight room in the short article nor in the renderings.  @brianstl do you know if one is to be included?  There is mention of a 'training center'. 

I imagine by training center they meant the athletic training portions of the draw-ups, like courtside said as well.  That was huge need to have a useable AT room by the soccer fields.