Jump to content

SLU Men's Soccer Thread (2020 - 2021)


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

I believe that facility is too small for the men to play on, or so it was explained to me. 

It is. It's not too far from being big enough, but far enough to not be able to play there. You could tell from watch the Women's Game. So many American Football Indoor Practice Facilities are very tight with space even just for football, let alone a larger soccer field. It's too bad so few have been made with soccer in mind or multi purpose. 

The bubble concept helps with this. SLU's game at Marquette was regulation size field. They have a full size grass and full size turf practice field next to their Soccer Stadium. The bubble goes over the turf field, and soccer and lax games can play there. Cost was somewhere between $3.6 to $5 Million. SLU doesn't have the space on campus. Seasonal Bubbles are a pretty big these days in colder climates, for off season/Winter training and games.

The Indy Facility is a massive 400 Acre indoor/outdoor facility, various sports, in the burbs. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Cowboy said:

-why would the women be able to play at the Earth City indoor facility but not the men? serious question

I don't know the answer. I counted 11 each while watching because I was curious about the slightly smaller field and the numbers. It played fine in a unique one off/one game situation. And it can certainly be used for practice.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

6pm Home Game Sunday night v Lipscomb. 

 

Does everyone remember SLU v UVA a few years ago? How about the rise of Daryl Dike of UVA. He had a strong rookie MLS Season at Orlando City, and is now, on loan Barnsley in the EFL. He is on a scoring tear as they have won 7 straight since he joined the team. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, courtside said:

6pm Home Game Sunday night v Lipscomb. 

 

Does everyone remember SLU v UVA a few years ago? How about the rise of Daryl Dike of UVA. He had a strong rookie MLS Season at Orlando City, and is now, on loan Barnsley in the EFL. He is on a scoring tear as they have won 7 straight since he joined the team. 

 

There are a lot of people on USMNT Twitter that want/expect Dike to end up being the starting striker for the National Team. My guess is: right now, Josh Sargent (STL kid) will be given every opportunity to earn the starting striker job, but it’s far from a sure thing right now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

SLU 2 St. Bonaventure 0 Final.

Christian Buendia, 39th minute, and John Klein, 55th minute. Bonnies playing with 10 immediately before SLU 2nd goal. Top class settle and score, not breaking stride, for Klein making a run inside the box on a long ball. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, billikenfan05 said:

That game was miserable to watch. The fans were too close to the mic(thankfully they fixed that in the second), the camera angle, the sun, the announcers, soccer on turf.

The sun was brutal in the first half especially. It also didn't look like "recent" turf. In some fairness to them, unusual Spring season, vs early fall, upstate NYC, grass field quality wouldn't be great. you could still see some snow in the background. They would benefit from a bubble. The spirited opposing fans usually don't bother me.

Many of these ESPN+ games have poor broadcasts. As I have said before, if I am not multi tasking too much I can watch games on mute just fine. I realize that's not for everyone. Maybe lower but some sound helps.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, courtside said:

The sun was brutal in the first half especially. It also didn't look like "recent" turf. In some fairness to them, unusual Spring season, vs early fall, upstate NYC, grass field quality wouldn't be great. you could still see some snow in the background. They would benefit from a bubble. The spirited opposing fans usually don't bother me.

Many of these ESPN+ games have poor broadcasts. As I have said before, if I am not multi tasking too much I can watch games on mute just fine. I realize that's not for everyone. Maybe lower but some sound helps.

 

The spirit of the fans doesn't bother me, it would be hypocritical of me if it did haha!

I understand why Bonas have turf but as you mentioned it looked so matted down and old.  I thought the Bills took a little while to adjust to it and if Bonaventure could have came out and scored early while SLU was adjusting that game could have gone very differnt.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

The spirit of the fans doesn't bother me, it would be hypocritical of me if it did haha!

I understand why Bonas have turf but as you mentioned it looked so matted down and old.  I thought the Bills took a little while to adjust to it and if Bonaventure could have came out and scored early while SLU was adjusting that game could have gone very differnt.

Go play on what I played on as a goalkeeper in Germany. It’s basically finely ground gravel. It was 30 plus years ago so I don’t know if it’s changed but small towns couldn’t or can’t afford to maintain grass and I guess turf was also too expensive. Those fields were rough. I’d go through 2-3 pair of keeper pants per season. You learn no shorts quickly

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • SluSignGuy changed the title to SLU Men's Soccer Thread (2020 - 2021)

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share


×
×
  • Create New...