SLU Men's Soccer Thread

1 hour ago, TheA_Bomb said:

The MLS has crazy salary cap and foreign player rules.  There are multiple drafts too.  Most of my knowledge of it comes from playing Football Manager 2020 (great game huge in the UK) anyway.  Here's some info from a Football Manager site

https://www.footballmanager.com/guides/guide-mls

"Generation Adidas contracts are offered by the league to the best hot prospects that come through the SuperDraft, but these cannot be renewed. Reserve contracts are for players new to the league and these can only be given to those under the age of 25.  ........ Players on Generation Adidas and Reserve contracts are considered cap free."

My guess is #1 overall is probably near $200,000 and #10 is $125,000

based on this data a few years old

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/ianquillen/2019/10/04/in-mls-rookie-of-the-year-race-salary-doesnt-match-performance/amp/

so  JG's Go Go $$ @ best? hard 2 believe they have passed NHL in popularity while paying G league $$.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 1/13/2022 at 12:38 PM, courtside said:

What I can say is AJ came close to being drafted in the 3rd round, and, he’d be a good signing for any team, including the local team. 

And, SLU has had a player strongly considered for a homegrown signing elsewhere. 

Congratulations to Mujeeb Murana for signing a homegrown deal with Houston. This covers some of the ongoings.

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/slu/slu-approaches-spring-soccer-season-without-bulk-of-elite-eight-roster/article_a29dedcb-d42d-5504-9ca5-6b137fdd25c8.html

Gremio14 likes this

Lane is a very experienced, versatile 4 year player, already on campus at SLU. 

He has played a lot of wing back (similar position to Murana and Vaughn) for SMU, much of it on the right side. But he’s played both. He’ll get up and down the wing and defend. Has a long throw in the offensive third of the field.

He’s played in 3 games vs SLU in his career. 

2 minutes ago, courtside said:

Lane is a very experienced, versatile 4 year player, already on campus at SLU. 

He has played a lot of wing back (similar position to Murana and Vaughn) for SMU, much of it on the right side. But he’s played both. He’ll get up and down the wing and defend. Has a long throw in the offensive third of the field.

He’s played in 3 games vs SLU in his career. 

can he dunk?

slufanskip and Bills By 40 like this

Recent 2022 SLU commit Devin Padelford has been training with the Minnesota United first team this past week.

Devin is a versatile, MF/LW, who previously was a Twin Cities 1st team All State player, (also a hooper) who plays for the U19 MUFC Academy team. (2022 SLU commit CJ Coppola is also a MUFC Academy player who is a former Iowa Gatorade Player of the Year.)

BuiltFordBills and Gremio14 like this

10 hours ago, courtside said:

Recent 2022 SLU commit Devin Padelford has been training with the Minnesota United first team this past week.

Since I know nothing about college/mls soccer I'm asking this question. ^ doesn't this sound like a big deal? This exact sentence linked to any other sport would mean that player is elite. 

30 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Since I know nothing about college/mls soccer I'm asking this question. ^ doesn't this sound like a big deal? This exact sentence linked to any other sport would mean that player is elite. 

It’s a great experience and opportunity for Devin. It’s also a testament to SLU recruiting and player evaluation. SLU will play him where he is needed most and fits best. But he’s played a lot of left wing and center mid. Would be a nice outside back too. 

Minnesota has been one of several recent, SLU friendly geographies. Devin is from Woodbury. Dylan Olson is from Minnetonka, Patrick Weah settled in Maple Grove. And CJ Coppola has been playing club ball there this past year.

I think some recent SLU Soccer followers will also get to see some of the player development side of things next season as some of the players that didn’t play as much this year are pretty good. 

And, transfer Lane Warrington is off to a great start, and, is already showing leadership qualities on the back line. 

BuiltFordBills likes this

• 2 weeks later...

Scouting some of the new Billikens as SLU continues to fill out its 2022 roster:

Alberto Suarez, 5th year transfer from Central Arkansas.

2021 ASUN Player of the Year, and the 2021 ASUN Defensive Player of the Year. 6’1 Center Back from Zaragosa, Spain. Co-league champion ASUN 2021. He also was a part of the 2019 Sun Belt League Champion team, and 2018 MVC League Champion team. 

Suarez started 60 games at Central Arkansas. He scored 20 goals in his career from his center back position. (in a variety of ways) Named team captain for Senior season.

(Alberto started and played 74 minutes  in the 2-1 loss to SLU his Freshman year.)

Strong technically, leader out of the back, versatile passer and scorer. Very good on set pieces and aerially.

Started on the back line for the 2021 USL League 2 U23 Champion, Des Moines. (75 teams)

Captain at El Olivar Spanish youth team. 

On 1/13/2022 at 12:38 PM, courtside said:

What I can say is AJ came close to being drafted in the 3rd round, and, he’d be a good signing for any team, including the local team. 

And, SLU has had a player strongly considered for a homegrown signing elsewhere. 

Let’s go #15.

https://www.stlcitysc.com/unveiling-st-louis-city-2s-mls-next-pro-roster/

HoosierPal likes this

11 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

I don't know many of them, but good to see a lot of locals on the roster.

8 of them originally came from SLSG. Two of them are committed to Indiana, one 2022, (Wagoner) one 2024. (Maher). A few are Missouri St. guys, Hiebert Dolling, and Creek. Pompeu was a star at VCU. Gibbs brothers were SLSG and local High School State Champs. Rivas was a D-3 all American for former Billiken Joey Clarke at Wash U. Wilkomenn won a national title at Marshall. Aaron Heard, from DC, Philadelphia Union, StlCITY Academy is the number one U15 player nationally.

11 players from St. Louis. Some stlCITY Academy players. 7 countries. Armstrong’s dad was the first U.S. born black World Cup player in (1990). Some players will retain amateur status. Some will not. SLU has recruited a few of these players. 

HoosierPal likes this

8 hours ago, courtside said:

Is the Brazilian Pompeu the same offset left wing who turned our right wing back inside out several times when we played VCU? If so, that is a heck of a get for STLFC. The dude can play!! Was, from my perspective, the most impressive guy we played against all year. 

5 minutes ago, Gremio14 said:

Is the Brazilian Pompeu the same offset left wing who turned our right wing back inside out several times when we played VCU? If so, that is a heck of a get for STLFC. The dude can play!! Was, from my perspective, the most impressive guy we played against all year. 

It is

Gremio14 likes this

Yep. Pompeu is a skilled midfielder with pace on the left wing. Played for St. Louisan Dave Giffard at VCU. (Originally committed to UCLA.) Played at the same high school as Tab Ramos, Claudio Reyna, Gregg Berhalter. He was one of the 44 players invited to the MLS College Showcase.