SLU Men's Soccer Thread

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Big Day for SLU Soccer.

SLU has 7 draft eligible players.

They also have a few current and future homegrown candidates. 

……………………

Just getting around to posting this…

MAC Hermann Trophy Banquet in St. Louis, Georgetown’s Dante Polvara and Florida St.’s Jaelin Howell (her 2nd straight) took home top honors for Men and Women’s Soccer. (Both have been discussed in the Men and Women’s Soccer threads here during the season.) Two defensive midfielders. 

Polvara signed with Aberdeen, Scorland. Howell was the 2nd overall NWSL draft pick for Racing Louisville.

USWNT player Crystal Dunn was the featured speaker. Great opportunity for many young local Stl Soccer players who attended the banquet.

14 minutes ago, courtside said:

Big Day for SLU Soccer.

SLU has 7 draft eligible players.

They also have a few current and future homegrown candidates. 

……………………

Just getting around to posting this…

MAC Hermann Trophy Banquet in St. Louis, Georgetown’s Dante Polvara and Florida St.’s Jaelin Howell (her 2nd straight) took home top honors for Men and Women’s Soccer. (Both have been discussed in the Men and Women’s Soccer threads here during the season.) Two defensive midfielders. 

Polvara signed with Aberdeen, Scorland. Howell was the 2nd overall NWSL draft pick for Racing Louisville.

USWNT player Crystal Dunn was the featured speaker. Great opportunity for many young local Stl Soccer players who attended the banquet.

Heck, I would have wanted to go just to hear Crystal Dunn who imo is maybe the most under rated player by fans on the USWNT. I don't think I've seen a left back that provides as much offense as she does while still being a better than capable defender. I've heard she'd rather be a forward, but imo she and the team are better served with her at left back. Either one among many good forwards or one of the best left backs in the world. 

courtside likes this

1 hour ago, slufanskip said:

Heck, I would have wanted to go just to hear Crystal Dunn who imo is maybe the most under rated player by fans on the USWNT. I don't think I've seen a left back that provides as much offense as she does while still being a better than capable defender. I've heard she'd rather be a forward, but imo she and the team are better served with her at left back. Either one among many good forwards or one of the best left backs in the world. 

Yep. She does prefer being an attacking player but she can play several positions at a very high level. It’s 9 years after she won the MAC Hermann Trophy at North Carolina. She’s one of the favorites of multiple SLU Soccer players and commits. Her baby is due in May.

SLU of course has had recent college success at outside back with both the Men and Women’s teams. And both teams have good ones committed for the future too. One of those had a strong weekend in Florida this past weekend. 

slufanskip likes this

16 hours ago, courtside said:

Congratulations to Chandler Vaughn 60th overall to L.A. Galaxy, and, Chase Niece 66th overall to Dallas. 

Okay, with eligibility left, do Vaughn and Niece sign or stay?  From what I remember, the number of players drafted as late as 60th and 66th have a tough time sticking with the MLS team.  Can they, in effect, have a look with their MLS team, and return to SLU?  I believe the MLS team would retain their draft rights up until the next draft.

4 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Okay, with eligibility left, do Vaughn and Niece sign or stay?  From what I remember, the number of players drafted as late as 60th and 66th have a tough time sticking with the MLS team.  Can they, in effect, have a look with their MLS team, and return to SLU?  I believe the MLS team would retain their draft rights up until the next draft.

Drafted players can and do have different outcomes and signings. 

A team can sign a player to various types of contracts, or, put a drafted player on its college protected list, (unless claimed off of waivers), or a team can part ways with a player entirely. The protected college list goes to Dec 31st of the following year a player is drafted. example: 2021 draft, player will remain that list until Dec 2022. 

SLU played against a few 2021 drafted players this season. Brandon Terwege (SMU), Diego Gutierrez (Creighton). A couple of others, Brandon Hackenberg (Penn St.) Justin Malou (Clemson) were first rounders who went back to school. 

There’s also the new MLS Next Pro league. Patrick Schulte for example was drafted to play a lot here, as Columbus is pretty set with its first two keepers. 

There are also other types of non drafted signings as previously mentioned in the thread.

The MLS has crazy salary cap and foreign player rules.  There are multiple drafts too.  Most of my knowledge of it comes from playing Football Manager 2020 (great game huge in the UK) anyway.  Here's some info from a Football Manager site

https://www.footballmanager.com/guides/guide-mls

"Generation Adidas contracts are offered by the league to the best hot prospects that come through the SuperDraft, but these cannot be renewed. Reserve contracts are for players new to the league and these can only be given to those under the age of 25.  ........ Players on Generation Adidas and Reserve contracts are considered cap free."

My guess is #1 overall is probably near $200,000 and #10 is $125,000

based on this data a few years old

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/ianquillen/2019/10/04/in-mls-rookie-of-the-year-race-salary-doesnt-match-performance/amp/