SLU Men's Soccer Thread

2 hours ago, Pistol said:

We cover the field/weather outlook with Kalish in the podcast. Definitely give it a listen.

I just listened to the podcast, very good job.

One would think the late Harry Keough and Val Pelizzaro would be proud of this soccer support. While I can’t speak for Ty Keough, who was a Senior when I was a SLU Freshman, I’m confident he is too.

SLUMedBilliken15 and Pistol like this

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

51 minutes ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

I just listened to the podcast, very good job.

One would think the late Harry Keough and Val Pelizzaro would be proud of this soccer support. While I can’t speak for Ty Keough, who was a Senior when I was a SLU Freshman, I’m confident he is too.

Appreciate it. It's been spread around on social media way more than I expected in the first few hours. Hopefully people are enjoying it and it translates into good viewership numbers tomorrow. It is indeed painful that it'll be on a soggy field out in Seattle and not in front of a record home crowd, but that's life.

In the last regular show, we talked about SLU's soccer fan base being something of a sleeping giant. Not in terms of massive scale, just that there's a larger fan base in the area and among alums than we might've realized as the program has been up and down but not this deep in the NCAAT since 2003. People have been hungry for this success. There's palpable buzz for the first time in a long time.

NextYearBill likes this

I know a couple of Huskies here.  One wonders if they know UW has a soccer team.  I can tell you my Domer friend here didn't know ND had a soccer team.

In any event, the first time I heard "UDub" was from one of those UW grads, a paralegal, at a key Pac-12 football game at Cal's Memorial Stadium, the very day before the Oakland Hills fire.

Reviewing the Husky website, Husky Soccer Stadium has a grass field, looks like seating on one side, reportedly seats 2,200.  While it looks like a high school facility at best, the Husky website touts the high level teams that have trained/played there.

21 minutes ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

I know a couple of Huskies here.  One wonders if they know UW has a soccer team.  I can tell you my Domer friend here didn't know ND had a soccer team.

In any event, the first time I heard "UDub" was from one of those UW grads, a paralegal, at a key Pac-12 football game at Cal's Memorial Stadium, the very day before the Oakland Hills fire.

Reviewing the Husky website, Husky Soccer Stadium has a grass field, looks like seating on one side, reportedly seats 2,200.  While it looks like a high school facility at best, the Husky website touts the high level teams that have trained/played there.

It's a nice setting...when it isn't 40 degrees and raining. All of the athletic facilities are in a row. The football stadium is at the south end and you get those great views of Union Bay and Lake Washington from the stands. The soccer stands are small, basically two sets of bleachers, and the field is a little north of the edge of Union Bay so you don't get the same views, but still surrounded by a line of trees. It's an impressive campus. Unfortunately we just won't be seeing it at the best time. I'm more worried about the field itself.

Is it just me or is the Billikens as a mid-major trying to reach the College Cup a weird way to frame the Post Dispatch story?

I know most of the Billikens best seasons happened long ago, but it seems crazy to think of SLU Men’s Soccer as a mid-major program.

Not that it matters…

There was reporting yesterday that the Washington coach stated that SLU has not seen a team as talented as the Huskies.  That they were Duke but with far better defense.   

9 minutes ago, WUH said:

Is it just me or is the Billikens as a mid-major trying to reach the College Cup a weird way to frame the Post Dispatch story?

I know most of the Billikens best seasons happened long ago, but it seems crazy to think of SLU Men’s Soccer as a mid-major program.

Not that it matters…

There was reporting yesterday that the Washington coach stated that SLU has not seen a team as talented as the Huskies.  That they were Duke but with far better defense.   

I thought the same thing about the article.  In fact I thought the story was a kind of a shrug of the shoulders pointing out that it is not that big of a deal.  In fact the article could have been written in any city in the US. 

WUH likes this

20 minutes ago, WUH said:

Not that it matters…

The answer is yes. SLU, with an NCAA record 10 National Championships and 49 NCAA Tournament appearances is not a “mid-major.” The only thing “mid-major” re SLU Soccer is being in the A10, in which playing the conference schedule adversely affected SLU’s RPI, which spawned the #10 seed and is the reason this game will be played on a wet field in Seattle more conducive to ducks and geese.

Updated weather forecast: Rain in Seattle has begun, continues all day, ends by 5 pm, 40% chance in the 4 p.m. hour.  Skies should be overcast without rain for the game itself, but the grass field will be very wet. 

As for the UW Coach, let him talk. He gave some nice locker room material to the Billikens.

WUH likes this

Calling SLU Soccer a “mid-major” is like calling Gonzaga Basketball a mid-major.

If it even is required to be said, a more accurate statement for those Mizzou Journalism grads at the STL P-D would be to say SLU is not in a Power 5 (which is Power 3 in Soccer sans the SEC and Big XII) Conference.

This being said, the media coverage of SLU’s run is good. Perhaps we can tolerate SLU being labeled “mid-major” in exchange for all this positive publicity, while still pointing out the inaccuracy of the moniker. 

WUH likes this

Power 5 or 6 is irrelevant in college soccer and college hockey.  Those are terms used for the big money events like the College Football Playoff and March Madness.  They are qualifiers that give the NCAA selection committees carte blanche to do as they please.  Kentucky and South Carolina of the SEC play soccer in CUSA as noted.  

Funny.  Over in the UAB thread someone wrote that most students don't know who UAB is because today's students weren't around when we were in their league.  That was in the nineties. Our last soccer title predates even me ... and I got there in 1975.

I guess the use of "mid major" in today's story was the onyl ability they had to connect the dots they wanted to connect.

10 minutes ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

I remember the early ‘70’s National Champions, was 13 when SLU won its last one in ‘73, explicitly remember watching the Sunday night 10 pm news the day SLU was upset in the Final by Howard in ‘74.

When we were at SLU, the team was highest level, had All-Americans, lost in the playoffs. 

SLU Soccer did make it into the Final 4 in 91 & 97.

For some reason I thought they advanced further in 2003 when they had DiRaimondo & Ibisevic. They made it to the 2nd round and beat Washington in the 1st round.

Did get to see them that year when they played in a tourney at Furman. Beat Furman and Clemson in that. Furman had a good team that year with Clint Dempsey.

17 minutes ago, MusicCityBilliken said:

SLU Soccer did make it into the Final 4 in 91 & 97.

For some reason I thought they advanced further in 2003 when they had DiRaimondo & Ibisevic. They made it to the 2nd round and beat Washington in the 1st round.

Did get to see them that year when they played in a tourney at Furman. Beat Furman and Clemson in that. Furman had a good team that year with Clint Dempsey.

SLU Men’s Soccer made the NCAA Quarterfinals in both 2001 and 2003. (2002 was Sweet 16) Both of the Quarterfinal teams were top 10 teams. (6&7)

slufanskip likes this

3 hours ago, WUH said:

Not that it matters…

There may be some that are new to “Jamie speak.”  It’s how Jamie talks at times. When Jamie’s dad retired a few years ago, he said that Notre Dame may want to go outside of the Bobby Clark coaching tree because 2nd best isn’t the same. Then he said, he didn’t mean they were 2nd best but that his dad was unique and so forth. Jamie thought UDub deserved to be the #1 overall seed instead of #2, even though Oregon won the Pac 12. 

Jamie’s Udub teams made 3 Sweet 16’s in four seasons, before making 3 straight NCAA Quarterfinals. If he wants to try to will his team to the Final Four, and talk up his team’s athleticism in front and back, and transition defense, that’s fine.

Jamie’s a good coach, who has a good team. SLU’s pretty good too. We’ll see.. Let’s roll the ball out and play.

Bobby Clark (retired) won the 2013 National Title as Head Coach at Notre Dame. And, his 1998 Stanford team was College Cup Runner Up. 4 of the remaining 8 NCAA Quarterfinal teams are connected to Jamie’s dad, Bobby. 

Georgetown Head Coach Brian Wiese played for, and coached under Bobby Clark. (Georgetown won the 2019 National Title)

Notre Dame Coach Chad Riley played for, and coached under Bobby Clark.

Oregon St. assistant BJ Craig coached under Bobby Clark.

And of course, Jamie, played for, and coached under his dad. 

WUH likes this

On 11/30/2021 at 9:31 AM, courtside said:

Scouting the Washington Huskies. #2 National Seed. 

Jamie Clark’s 11th season, 4 Elite 8’s, seeking their first College Cup Final Four. (For those unfamiliar, Jamie was an All American player for his dad at Stanford, and, his dad was also well known for his long tenure coaching Notre Dame as well as Dartmouth earlier in his career)

4-4-2 often. (they can look like 4-3-3 and 3-5-2 at times)

1) Defending set pieces. This is how Washington scores often. Charlie Ostrem and Dylan Teves take their free kicks. Conveniently, both are All Americans. Lots of aerial curls and end swingers to UDub’s 3 tall, back line players who get forward. (Sailor, Burks, Robin). They also clean up mistakes. But cannot allow the Huskies to win those aerial battles, and need to limit corners and set pieces. Back post.

2) Teves and Ostrem. Teves will position up top or a central attacking midfield spot. He’s all over the field. Absolutely cannot give him space in the open field or counters. And, he will clean up any scrum in the box.  Fast, fit, technical, cerebral player. Great finisher and passer too. He has back to back hat tricks this NCAA Tourney. If there is one player you must find at all times, it’s Teves. He can make something out of nothing quickly. 

Charlie Ostrem is a left footed, left back who plays end line to end line. He will go where the play takes him, anywhere on the field not just up the left flank. He’ll be more likely to create and provide service. Teves will do both. They will both be at every free kick. 

Burks will push up the right side but he’s more likely to send diagonal long balls from midfield instead of go to box to box. 

Achille Robin will play inside next to Burks. Steady defending and aerial threat. Getting into tight spaces, through balls are ways to counter that.

Soto and Kossa Rienzi are undersized ball winners in the defensive midfield. Scardina is power/speed wing who likes to shoot from distance and can finish within the 18. 

Lucas Meek will possibly come off of the bench. He’s a very good 1v1 attacking mid who had been out much of the earlier part of the season with a broken collarbone. 

Ryan Sailor is the Pac 12 Defender of the year. Center Back, left side. He’s their Kipp Keller. He’s very good in the air on both offense and defense. He’s their steady back line leader. 

Teves and Ostrem were first team Pac 12. Meek 2nd team with Burks. 

Kossa-Riezi, Scardina, Soto were 3rd team.

Washington is very good in transition. Lots of one touch combo play in the final 3rd. They don’t play a deep bench but they wear opponents down over time in games, and, they can get better as the game progresses. They also have a tendency to sit back a little bit with a lead leaving opponent opportunity on space in the box but it also creates counters for themselves and Teves. 

Fowler is a solid keeper who is not afraid to come out and challenge. 

Gio Miglietti is a versatile grinder up top or midfield.

SLU needs to be efficient in the final third again. Defending Duke’s attacking third players was good experience tor SLU ahead of the game at Washington. The Huskies have a bigger and better back line than Duke. (Ostrem is smaller at left back) There is a bit of opportunity in the midfield for SLU. 

SLU can win the game by being a high level version of themselves. SLU needs to limit mistakes, limit transition, be efficient in the final third, be opportunistic, put pressure on UW backline and wings. Two of the best teams in the country. Playing an experienced, confident team as good as anyone in the country, at their place. This is why you play. Great, fun, opportunity for SLU. 

Washington 2 SLU 0

Tough one for the Billikens, as SLU was as good as any team in the country this season. This year’s team had a legit chance to win the National Championship. When you get to this point in the tourney, a few things here or there can and do decide a game. Washington is also a good team. 

Overall, SLU was able to get what they wanted in the game, considering the circumstances. But finishing was inefficient, especially with several good first half opportunities. And, two mistakes cost them the game. UDub’s goals were created by their grinder high motor, supporting role, hustle players.

SLU pressured the Husky backline early, sped them up a bit, spread them out, forced turnovers and transition opportunities. Getting one of those goals to go in, changes the game. Parker had a few early. Fowler was very good throughout, (as was Patrick) And, SLU had a few just off frame as well.

UDub’s goals were both field conditions related. 1st goal. Transition, Keller was in position to slide over to knock the ball out of bounds. Niece lost his footing, and blasted it back to Schulte through the mud. Patrick had about 3 to 4 yards from Scardina. He was a little bit deliberate and the clear deflects to an unmarked Miglietti in the center of the box, for the open goal. It’s a harmless play 9 out of 10 times. 

https://twitter.com/uw_msoccer/status/1467315731511480320?s=21

Very shortly after that, Soto, an undersized, speedy, ball winning defensive midfielder made a run down the left side. 3 Billiken defenders were in position. Murana took the wide winger touch line passing lane, Keller bodied Teves. That left Anderson and Palazzolo chasing the ball. AJ was there, but Soto was able to get past the corner by AJ to cross it near post. Buendia took Teves. Niece was there, but he lost his footing again covering Miglietti’s run. Great one time finish for Miglietti upper 90 near post. Looked like a frequent SLU goal this year. No chance for Patrick. 2-0 

https://twitter.com/uw_msoccer/status/1467316725397872647?s=21

SLU came close again, but just couldn’t get on the board before half time. Palazzolo, Keller, Murana, Klein all with chances or multiple chances around the frame.

SLU pressured a bit early in the 2nd and had some chances again, but as the half progressed, UDub’s backline was more organized and disciplined in the 2nd half defending the 2nd ball across the box. The flick on headers, the received target pass turns, lay offs, etc…SLU couldn’t get the final touch. 

Burks flirted with a straight red card with his foul undressing Parker early in the 2nd half. (received a yellow) I thought it could have been red.

The game was less of a possession game due to conditions. This can and does affect overlapping wingback runs, switching fields East West for diagonal balls. Slows down combination play in transition etc…it’s more about making a play and limiting mistakes. SLU’s back line, especially, center backs looked uncomfortable  with their footing in the first half. UDub is a combination of small quick technical players, size in back, and physical grinding finishers upfront. 

Both teams 4-4-2, no surprises in formation or personnel. Shots were 17-13 SLU and corners were 8-6 SLU.

All 3 other quarterfinal games were played on a reasonable surface.’UDub and Georgetown will be a battle of 4-4-2. Any remaining team can win it. Georgetown’s strength is its defensive midfield and left back. Sands is similar to Ostrem. Polvara is one of the best in the country in the middle. Would have been nice to see SLU v Georgetown, and then perhaps a chance against the size of Notre Dame, (6’2,6’3,6’5 all over the field) and Jack Lynn, U23 teammate of Schulte, Klein, Bruch, Keller  etc…). 

28F45570-C0E0-4045-A465-FCFAA71585EF.jpeg

slufanskip likes this

@courtside maybe we just don't know enough yet about who will return, but how good can SLU men's soccer be next season?  Can they potentially make run like this again or should we expect a step back?

Per the roster on SLU's website there are only 4 seniors (AJ Palazzolo, Patrick Wilkinson, Iwan Webster, and Nick Faddis).  Of those 4 onlyu Palazzolo and Wilkinson got regular playing time.  However, I assume the soccer roster is like the basketball roster and has an adjustment for the COVID year.  Therefore, the guys listed as juniors have all mostly played 4 years now, sophmores 3, and freshmen potentially 2.  John Klein for example is listed as a junior, but has played 4 already at SLU.  Is there any indication yet who will return and if anyone will go pro early?  No idea when that is typically announced in soccer.