SLU Men's Soccer Thread

3 hours ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

SLU is 3-0-1 all-time vs. UW.  The last meeting was in '09.

SLU is 1-0-1 vs. UW in Seattle, 2-0-1 in Great Northwest, including a "neutral" game in Portland.

It's raining now in Seattle, 90% chance of rain in 5 pm hour, overcast tomorrow, 70% chance of rain on game day, Saturday, high 41, low 36.  UW has a grass field. 

Forecast has definitely gotten worse in the last day, day and a half. Bummer.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

SLU is 1-0-1 vs. UW in Seattle, 2-0-1 in Great Northwest, including a "neutral" game in Portland.

It's raining now in Seattle, 90% chance of rain in 5 pm hour, overcast tomorrow, 70% chance of rain on game day, Saturday, high 41, low 36.  UW has a grass field. 

Their field already is almost unplayable. Lookup the highlights from the Indiana game… Will be a mud bowl if things don’t change. 

4 hours ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

-gosh I hope not the same grass most of our hoopsters seemed to smoke before the Boise St game

2001 quarterfinals against Stanford.  They hosted but the field was a mess given all the rain that had come through. Much was talked about how bad the field was going to be given the rain.  We lost 1-0.  Believe Politis was our goalie.  He slipped when taking a goal kick with ball not making it much past 18 yd box to the top forward for Stanford. He buried the shot.  This would have been Brad Davis’s group if I am not mistaken.  Jewsbury too.  

Let’s hope we are on the winning end much like 97 against SMU when we made the final four after a game in horrible conditions.  

2 hours ago, SLUBALLS said:

2001 quarterfinals against Stanford.  They hosted but the field was a mess given all the rain that had come through. Much was talked about how bad the field was going to be given the rain.  We lost 1-0.  Believe Politis was our goalie.  He slipped when taking a goal kick with ball not making it much past 18 yd box to the top forward for Stanford. He buried the shot.  This would have been Brad Davis’s group if so am not mistaken.  Jewsbury too.  

Let’s hope we are on the winning end much like 97 against SMU when we made the final four after a game in horrible conditions.  

I was at that game. That goal kick “miskick” was unbelievable. 

5 hours ago, SLUBALLS said:

2001 quarterfinals against Stanford.  They hosted but the field was a mess given all the rain that had come through. Much was talked about how bad the field was going to be given the rain.  We lost 1-0.  Believe Politis was our goalie.  He slipped when taking a goal kick with ball not making it much past 18 yd box to the top forward for Stanford. He buried the shot.  This would have been Brad Davis’s group if I am not mistaken.  Jewsbury too.  

Yep. Politis. John actually lives in the Bay Area. Casey Klipfel (RIP) was 1997. SLU GK great Kevin Johnston 87-90, was among those at the recent Duke game. 

Speaking of the 1997 team, Jason Mims, who played on that team, coached the US League 1 Champion this year, Union Omaha. That team featured recent SLU alum Devin Boyce.

2 minutes ago, courtside said:

How many times are you going to troll the soccer threads in one week? 

We’d prefer to keep the open soccer threads for sincere participants. 

SLU has one of its biggest games in 20 years and these are your posts here. 

Lol what trolling? Busting the balls of a poster (Bay Area) that I know personally? Have a drink, smoke some weed whatever you’re into lighten up Francis.

9 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Lol what trolling? Busting the balls of a poster (Bay Area) that I know personally? Have a drink, smoke some weed whatever you’re into lighten up Francis.

These types of posts are why recruits, their families, and others that read the soccer threads, private message me, and/or leave. 

Again, if you want or need to have some other discussion elsewhere, I’m happy to do it. I’s rather let the people who read or post in the soccer threads, have their their soccer threads. 

2 minutes ago, courtside said:

These types of posts are why recruits, their families, and others that read the soccer threads, private message me, and/or leave. 

Again, if you want or need to have some other discussion elsewhere, I’m happy to do it. I’s rather let the people who read or post in the soccer threads, have their their soccer threads. 

What in God’s name are you talking about? 

9 minutes ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

The weather forecast keeps getting worse, now 90% chance of rain, high 39, low 36, rain starting in the wee hours of Sat. morning. Welcome to Seattle in December, “Seattle mist.”

Yeah, my tweet about having a dry field if the forecast holds did not age well. A couple nights ago, W-F were looking dry in the forecast, with a chance of rain late Saturday.

I know from first hand experience not to take PNW weather in the fall for granted. So it goes.

16 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

Why wouldn't they move the game to a playable field.  If it was a mess before all this they had plenty of time to find another location.  Not only does it make the game less competitive but you risk injuries.  This on the NCAA

Same conversation happened back in 2001.

After the Duke game this past weekend, the common comment among many at the game was wishing Indiana had won against Washington.  Most thought we would have seen 10K-15K potentially at the game if held at Hermann.  How they would have fit, no idea.  Instead, we go to the wet slop of Washington state.  At the end of the day, both teams are playing on the same field so no one has an advantage in terms of the conditions.  Just have to get the job done and be the one with less critical mistakes.

17 minutes ago, SLUBALLS said:

Same conversation happened back in 2001.

After the Duke game this past weekend, the common comment among many at the game was wishing Indiana had won against Washington.  Most thought we would have seen 10K-15K potentially at the game if held at Hermann.  How they would have fit, no idea.  Instead, we go to the wet slop of Washington state.  At the end of the day, both teams are playing on the same field so no one has an advantage in terms of the conditions.  Just have to get the job done and be the one with less critical mistakes.

I disagree that both teams are equal on all fields.  If you were in Washington then you would be more use to this type of muddy field.  Just like with horse racing some are better mudders than others.

slufanskip likes this

MLS Next Showcase and Adidas Generation Cup qualifiers begin today in SoCal. (Norco, Riverside County) and go through Tuesday.

SLU recruiting targets are playing. 

Two local teams are playing 16’s and 17’s. SLSG Academy, and Stl CITY Academy. (SLSG will also have 15’s and 19’s)

1 hour ago, cheeseman said:

Why wouldn't they move the game to a playable field.  If it was a mess before all this they had plenty of time to find another location.  Not only does it make the game less competitive but you risk injuries.  This on the NCAA

or one where there'll be 7K fans!