SLU Men's Soccer Thread

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

41 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

At least it wasn't an "awful post tbh," so I guess I'm slowly making progress.

I do think / hope they use the video boards to show some highlights of the soccer game (or even some live portion of the game) halftime and/or timeouts.  That could take a lot of coordination to happen.

Even better would be if they could move the basketball game up to the 4pm - 5pm range and then allow fans to stay inside Chaifetz for a soccer watch party on the big screens afterwards.

27 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

I do think / hope they use the video boards to show some highlights of the soccer game (or even some live portion of the game) halftime and/or timeouts.  That could take a lot of coordination to happen.

Even better would be if they could move the basketball game up to the 4pm - 5pm range and then allow fans to stay inside Chaifetz for a soccer watch party on the big screens afterwards.

My guess is it becomes an attendance problem. However I think they should try to move it if Bally and UAB would agree to it. 

40 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

My guess is it becomes an attendance problem. However I think they should try to move it if Bally and UAB would agree to it. 

UAB I would think agrees, since it really only gives them the advantage( even if its ever so slightly).  Bally Midwest is showing a replay of the blues game at 3, with nothing worthwhile until SLU game.

Just picture it….one of our players is about to shoot a FT, when the soccer ref makes a bad call and the crowd  reacts, or we score a goal and everyone goes ballistic. And we lose the bball game by one point. Would be awful.

Great idea CG, but could really backfire.

Now showing the soccer match on a screen in the concourse, or over in the practice area, sure! Let folks decide  what they want to watch.

2 hours ago, Billikenbooster said:

Just picture it….one of our players is about to shoot a FT, when the soccer ref makes a bad call and the crowd  reacts, or we score a goal and everyone goes ballistic. And we lose the bball game by one point. Would be awful.

Great idea CG, but could really backfire.

Now showing the soccer match on a screen in the concourse, or over in the practice area, sure! Let folks decide  what they want to watch.

All of these points are valid.  Again, it was just a thought that came out in reaction to feeling upset about not being to watch both games.  I've had worse thoughts.

2 hours ago, wgstl said:

UAB I would think agrees, since it really only gives them the advantage( even if its ever so slightly).  Bally Midwest is showing a replay of the blues game at 3, with nothing worthwhile until SLU game.

When I first heard that the game was on Bally's I thought that meant there was no way they would move the game since it would disrupt their schedule.  However, now that you point out that before the Billiken game, they are just showing a replay of the Blues game, now I'm thinking they should have no issue swapping the Blues replay and the Billiken game.  Probably won't happen though.

Scouting the Washington Huskies. #2 National Seed. 

Jamie Clark’s 11th season, 4 Elite 8’s, seeking their first College Cup Final Four. (For those unfamiliar, Jamie was an All American player for his dad at Stanford, and, his dad was also well known for his long tenure coaching Notre Dame as well as Dartmouth earlier in his career)

4-4-2 often. (they can look like 4-3-3 and 3-5-2 at times)

1) Defending set pieces. This is how Washington scores often. Charlie Ostrem and Dylan Teves take their free kicks. Conveniently, both are All Americans. Lots of aerial curls and end swingers to UDub’s 3 tall, back line players who get forward. (Sailor, Burks, Robin). They also clean up mistakes. But cannot allow the Huskies to win those aerial battles, and need to limit corners and set pieces. Back post.

2) Teves and Ostrem. Teves will position up top or a central attacking midfield spot. He’s all over the field. Absolutely cannot give him space in the open field or counters. And, he will clean up any scrum in the box.  Fast, fit, technical, cerebral player. Great finisher and passer too. He has back to back hat tricks this NCAA Tourney. If there is one player you must find at all times, it’s Teves. He can make something out of nothing quickly. 

Charlie Ostrem is a left footed, left back who plays end line to end line. He will go where the play takes him, anywhere on the field not just up the left flank. He’ll be more likely to create and provide service. Teves will do both. They will both be at every free kick. 

Burks will push up the right side but he’s more likely to send diagonal long balls from midfield instead of go to box to box. 

Achille Robin will play inside next to Burks. Steady defending and aerial threat. Getting into tight spaces, through balls are ways to counter that.

Soto and Kossa Rienzi are undersized ball winners in the defensive midfield. Scardina is power/speed wing who likes to shoot from distance and can finish within the 18. 

Lucas Meek will possibly come off of the bench. He’s a very good 1v1 attacking mid who had been out much of the earlier part of the season with a broken collarbone. 

Ryan Sailor is the Pac 12 Defender of the year. Center Back, left side. He’s their Kipp Keller. He’s very good in the air on both offense and defense. He’s their steady back line leader. 

Teves and Ostrem were first team Pac 12. Meek 2nd team with Burks. 

Kossa-Riezi, Scardina, Soto were 3rd team.

Washington is very good in transition. Lots of one touch combo play in the final 3rd. They don’t play a deep bench but they wear opponents down over time in games, and, they can get better as the game progresses. They also have a tendency to sit back a little bit with a lead leaving opponent opportunity on space in the box but it also creates counters for themselves and Teves. 

Fowler is a solid keeper who is not afraid to come out and challenge. 

Gio Miglietti is a versatile grinder up top or midfield.

SLU needs to be efficient in the final third again. Defending Duke’s attacking third players was good experience tor SLU ahead of the game at Washington. The Huskies have a bigger and better back line than Duke. (Ostrem is smaller at left back) There is a bit of opportunity in the midfield for SLU. 

SLU can win the game by being a high level version of themselves. SLU needs to limit mistakes, limit transition, be efficient in the final third, be opportunistic, put pressure on UW backline and wings. Two of the best teams in the country. Playing an experienced, confident team as good as anyone in the country, at their place. This is why you play. Great, fun, opportunity for SLU. 

8 minutes ago, courtside said:

Scouting the Washington Huskies. #2 National Seed. 

Jamie Clark’s 11th season, 4 Elite 8’s, seeking their first College Cup Final Four. (For those unfamiliar, Jamie was an All American player for his dad at Stanford, and, his dad was also well known for his long tenure coaching Notre Dame as well as Dartmouth earlier in his career)

4-4-2 often. (they can look like 4-3-3 and 3-5-2 at times)

1) Defending set pieces. This is how Washington scores often. Charlie Ostrem and Dylan Teves take their free kicks. Conveniently, both are All Americans. Lots of aerial curls and end swingers to UDub’s 3 tall, back line players who get forward. (Sailor, Burks, Robin). They also clean up mistakes. But cannot allow the Huskies to win those aerial battles, and need to limit corners and set pieces. Back post.

2) Teves and Ostrem. Teves will position up top or a central attacking midfield spot. He’s all over the field. Absolutely cannot give him space in the open field or counters. And, he will clean up any scrum in the box.  Fast, fit, technical, cerebral player. Great finisher and passer too. He has back to back hat tricks this NCAA Tourney. If there is one player you must find at all times, it’s Teves. He can make something out of nothing quickly. 

Charlie Ostrem is a left footed, left back who plays end line to end line. He will go where the play takes him, anywhere on the field not just up the left flank. He’ll be more likely to create and provide service. Teves will do both. They will both be at every free kick. 

Burks will push up the right side but he’s more likely to send diagonal long balls from midfield instead of go to box to box. 

Achille Robin will play inside next to Burks. Steady defending and aerial threat. Getting into tight spaces, through balls are ways to counter that.

Soto and Kossa Rienzi are undersized ball winners in the defensive midfield. Scardina is power/speed wing who likes to shoot from distance and can finish within the 18. 

Lucas Meek will possibly come off of the bench. He’s a very good 1v1 attacking mid who had been out much of the earlier part of the season with a broken collarbone. 

Ryan Sailor is the Pac 12 Defender of the year. Center Back, left side. He’s their Kipp Keller. He’s very good in the air on both offense and defense. He’s their steady back line leader. 

Teves and Ostrem were first team Pac 12. Meek 2nd team with Burks. 

Kossa-Riezi, Scardina, Soto were 3rd team.

Washington is very good in transition. Lots of one touch combo play in the final 3rd. They don’t play a deep bench but they wear opponents down over time in games, and, they can get better as the game progresses. They also have a tendency to sit back a little bit with a lead leaving opponent opportunity on space in the box but it also creates counters for themselves and Teves. 

Fowler is a solid keeper who is not afraid to come out and challenge. 

Gio Miglietti is a versatile grinder up top or midfield.

SLU needs to be efficient in the final third again. Defending Duke’s attacking third players was good experience tor SLU ahead of the game at Washington. The Huskies have a bigger and better back line than Duke. (Ostrem is smaller at left back) There is a bit of opportunity in the midfield for SLU. 

SLU can win the game by being a high level version of themselves. SLU needs to limit mistakes, limit transition, be efficient in the final third, be opportunistic, put pressure on UW backline and wings. Two of the best teams in the country. Playing an experienced, confident team as good as anyone in the country, at their place. This is why you play. Great, fun, opportunity for SLU. 

Teves has 2 hattricks in 2 games. Seems odd to miss this.

5 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Teves has 2 hattricks in 2 games. Seems odd to miss this.

15 minutes ago, courtside said:

2) Teves and Ostrem. Teves will position up top or a central attacking midfield spot. He’s all over the field. Absolutely cannot give him space in the open field or counters. And, he will clean up any scrum in the box.  Fast, fit, technical, cerebral player. Great finisher and passer too. He has back to back hat tricks this NCAA Tourney.

🤔

Pretty easy to miss something in @courtside's soccer novels. You should double check before calling him out on missing anything.

1 hour ago, RUBillsFan said:

🤔

Pretty easy to miss something in @courtside's soccer novels. You should double check before calling him out on missing anything.

Meh, he doesn't single or double check before accusing myself or my friend of plagiarism. I'd say I don't see a reason to extend him the courtesy of doing it either.

SLUMedBilliken15 likes this

Top Drawer Soccer named SLU’s Simon Becher to its National Team of the Week. (Best 11) 

Simon had a goal, an assist, and, he was largely responsible for SLU’s winning goal. His defense created the turnover, which led to the corner won by Klein. Becher’s ensuing header was saved with a diving stop, but the rebound bounced off of a defender and in for SLU’s 4th goal. 

1 hour ago, billikenfan05 said:

Meh, he doesn't single or double check before accusing myself or my friend of plagiarism. I'd say I don't see a reason to extend him the courtesy of doing it either.

True, but in his case I don't think it was an issue of single or double checking.  If anything it was a case of checking too much.  He was obsessively combing through his old posts and your Podcast until he found "plagiarism" (if only in his own head).

SLU is 3-0-1 all-time vs. UW.  The last meeting was in '09.

SLU is 1-0-1 vs. UW in Seattle, 2-0-1 in Great Northwest, including a "neutral" game in Portland.

It's raining now in Seattle, 90% chance of rain in 5 pm hour, overcast tomorrow, 70% chance of rain on game day, Saturday, high 41, low 36.  UW has a grass field.