SLU Men's Soccer Thread

I was going to post a Duke scouting report later in the week. But since Thor is a popular topic I can add a little bit here.

Thor Ulfarsson is one of Duke’s 3 best players. He had 14 goals this year. Dangerous player in and around the 18. Loves to shoot. Cleans up loose balls. He is the player taunting and getting knocked down in the video. He’s from Iceland.

Ulfarsson will play up top next to Shakur Mohammed. Mohammed is skilled, fast, creator. from Ghana. When they are both on the same page, they are very good.

The third key player is Central Midfielder Peter Stroud. He played at West Ham Academy. Two way player. Ball winner but also very key in the attack as well. 

Duke will likely play a 4-4-2. Ruben Mesalles is also a nice player at left back. They sometimes like to work up wide on the left side through Stroud and Mohammed. Ulfarsson finishes. They also will not hesitate  to play long diagonal balls to switch fields.

Very young Duke team. Big, organized teams with size, can give them some trouble. (Notre Dame type of team). They like to pressure high, use transition. They can get into some higher scoring chance games. 

If SLU can neutralize those 3 players, and if SLU can be reasonably efficient with their chances, it should be a good one. Duke is very good. But I believe SLU has an opportunity in the final 3rd. SLU needs to be mistake free in their own 3rd.

Mohammed was the ACC Freshman of the Year.

Peter Stroud was the ACC Midfielder of the Year. 

Thor Ulfarsson was the ACC Offensive Player of the Year. 

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

44 minutes ago, hmart23 said:

This TV situation isn't great. You have to have a TV provider that works with ACC Network. ESPN+ Won't cut it

Verizon, ATT, DirecTV, Dish and Spectrum all get ACCN. FuboTV offers a 7 day free trial but I can't vouch for wether you can log in to ESPN App with the credentials and get ACCNX.

5 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Verizon, ATT, DirecTV, Dish and Spectrum all get ACCN. FuboTV offers a 7 day free trial but I can't vouch for wether you can log in to ESPN App with the credentials and get ACCNX.

Didn't specify enough. I don't have a TV package. It's just frustrating that I probably won't be able to see the game. 

6 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

I suggest looking into Fubo for that reason. 

Had the free trial. It was nice and easy to use. $65/month is still too steep considering I'd only use it for Billiken Sports. Everything else I care about I can get through the streaming services I have. 

1 minute ago, wgstl said:

hate to get ahead of myself, but seems like that should easily* break the attendance record set last weekend

I can't remember where I posted it but I would say that SLU would absolutely need to bring in temporary seating behind the goal. It's a MASSIVE game against an old rival. St. Louis players and coach from STL combined with IU traveling fans. Easily 9k.

Given the Duke coach's comments on his player's antics in the UCLA game, I looked up their yellow card and red card stats for this year:

image.png.ce2b7923e35afd7a4f9ade354cdd52ac.png

They have 11 players with two or more yellows this year, 6 with four or more, and three reds.  

SLU needs to be aware of this especially as we enter their homestand.  SLU has been much cleaner this year vs Duke. 11 players with 1 or more yellows, only 2 with two yellows, and only one red that being the ridiculous double yellow for Klein at SMU with the second one at the end of the game.

image.thumb.png.8f253908c541fa6825cfd8bab9075abd.png

We can't afford to get caught up in their style of play in terms of fouls.  Play our game, play clean, ignore their pestering, and hopefully we see an even game called by the ref.

BuiltFordBills and Zink like this

I see the game is on ACCNX. If I have Youtube TV, which does have ACCN, am I reading this correctly that it should show up on ESPN+ then since the football game is on ACCN? Never in a million years did I see myself working so hard to watch a soccer game.

3 minutes ago, crymdg2 said:

I see the game is on ACCNX. If I have Youtube TV, which does have ACCN, am I reading this correctly that it should show up on ESPN+ then since the football game is on ACCN? Never in a million years did I see myself working so hard to watch a soccer game.

I agree. This is confusing. My espn+ is showing it's on at 6. Does this mean I can watch it if I have espn+

Just now, jonny karate said:

I agree. This is confusing. My espn+ is showing it's on at 6. Does this mean I can watch it if I have espn+

The way I'm reading it, is that you cannot simply just have ESPN+ and watch it. If you have a service that has ACCN, though, and you have that provider associated with your ESPN+ then you can watch? I think...

3 minutes ago, crymdg2 said:

The way I'm reading it, is that you cannot simply just have ESPN+ and watch it. If you have a service that has ACCN, though, and you have that provider associated with your ESPN+ then you can watch? I think...

Looks like my direct tv stream has accn so what it sounds like I need to log into that through espn to watch it