SLU Men's Soccer Thread

6 minutes ago, courtside said:

I understand what you are saying. But the term isn't meant to be negative or lucky. That may be more of a personal preference of choice of words. Many goals of that terminology are what i would consider great skilled goals. It was a great goal and strong, skilled, individual effort from Simon. David Carson took a nice photo of the finish here:

I knew you didn't mean it that way but the old school soccer guy in me still remembers my coach at 7 years old yelling at us for kicking with our toe. In the instance of Belchers play even if he had stretched out and actually toe poked it in, it would have been a nice play. However, he didn't toe poke it. 

The one pic above that makes it look like a toe poke is actually a half second late to see he actually hit it with his laces. 

I'm sure it's just me lol

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

18 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

Nit picky but I hate when someone calls a shot like Belchers a toe poke. It sounds like such a lucky un soccer play. He actually hit that ball with his laces exactly as he should have. I know you didn't mean it to come across as it does to me, and to many it probably doesn't, just a strange pet peeve of mine when it's not actually a toe poke. 

Have to love the way Bécher turned towards the stands and was already celebrating the goal while the ball was still five feet away from crossing the goal line.  He is such a natural talent - born to be a #9. 

slufanskip likes this

Just now, Gremio14 said:

Have to love the way Bécher turned towards the stands and was already celebrating the goal while the ball was still five feet away from crossing the goal line.  He is such a natural talent - born to be a #9. 

Watching the video back. He waived goodbye to LIU’s bench too. All of these dudes are so cocky in the best way.

slufanskip and Gremio14 like this

2 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Watching the video back. He waived goodbye to LIU’s bench too. All of these dudes are so cocky in the best way.

There is a reason Stojanovic (Big East tournament MVP) transferred to the Hoyas. As good as he is (and he is legit good) he was not going start over Bécher.  Kind of like the old Ronaldão/Adriano thing in Brasil. 

19 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

I knew you didn't mean it that way but the old school soccer guy in me still remembers my coach at 7 years old yelling at us for kicking with our toe. In the instance of Belchers play even if he had stretched out and actually toe poked it in, it would have been a nice play. However, he didn't toe poke it. 

The one pic above that makes it look like a toe poke is actually a half second late to see he actually hit it with his laces. 

I'm sure it's just me lol

I’m all for scoring goals with toe, laces, inside/outside of the foot, sliding with bottom side of cleats. Whatever it takes. (The Forward, attacking player in me who counted all of them the same, lol)

That of course is different from teaching 7 year olds, of which, there’s always a few that need some technique instruction for ball striking. 

For me, the term just means the type of goal. Actual strike location on the boot may vary. 

slufanskip likes this

17 minutes ago, SLUBALLS said:

Booked air travel, hotel, rental, and game tickets this  morning for Saturday's game.  Who else headed out to Duke?  Hope we can get a decent contingent out there even with it being Thanksgiving weekend.

Wish I could make the trip, kind of excited to sit my a$$ on the couch with a beer or two and enjoy the game that way. Duke apparently only had 626 in attendance for the UCLA game. 

48 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Wish I could make the trip, kind of excited to sit my a$$ on the couch with a beer or two and enjoy the game that way. Duke apparently only had 626 in attendance for the UCLA game. 

Is Klein at risk of a red card if he gets a yellow card in the Duke match, since he got a yellow in the LIU match?

Is it a guarantee that the game will be at Duke?  Has it been set already?  I say this, because the Duke/UCLA game at Duke drew 626 people.  The game at SLU against powerhouse Long Island University drew over ten times that many people.  Why would the NCAA have the game at Duke when they can have it here?

4 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

Is it a guarantee that the game will be at Duke?  Has it been set already?  I say this, because the Duke/UCLA game at Duke drew 626 people.  The game at SLU against powerhouse Long Island University drew over ten times that many people.  Why would the NCAA have the game at Duke when they can have it here?

I wish we were ranked on attendance but we aren't so because Duke is the 7th seed and we are the 10th, we are at Duke. If we can get enough SLU fans out there, we can certainly make it more of a homefield feel for the boys.  I think hanging out with the in-laws over the holidays has a three day shelf life, so cut it one day short and get out to Durham.

If they are not hosting, then they need to take down their ticket portal for the game:  https://goduke.evenue.net/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/SEGetEventList?groupCode=MS&linkID=duke-athletics&shopperContext=&caller=&appCode=

BilliesBy40 likes this

20 minutes ago, SLUBALLS said:

I wish we were ranked on attendance but we aren't so because Duke is the 7th seed and we are the 10th, we are at Duke. If we can get enough SLU fans out there, we can certainly make it more of a homefield feel for the boys.  I think hanging out with the in-laws over the holidays has a three day shelf life, so cut it one day short and get out to Durham.

If they are not hosting, then they need to take down their ticket portal for the game:  https://goduke.evenue.net/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/SEGetEventList?groupCode=MS&linkID=duke-athletics&shopperContext=&caller=&appCode=

I get it.  I just wasn't sure if it was mandated that the lower seed host the game or if there was some discretion there.  It is a shame too.  A few measly ranking points robs NCAA soccer of another huge attendance number.

SLUBALLS and slufanskip like this

The taunting by that Duke player is making the rounds: https://www.topdrawersoccer.com/college-soccer-articles/duke-victory-marred-by-taunting_aid50224

The Duke coach's dismissal of the taunting as just "part of the sport" is pathetic.  That was beyond taunting.  Classless  Hope our boys can keep their composure as Duke is likely to do more of the same on Saturday.

Second, the article linked below has this classic line:  "The last seconds left in the game slipped away, even as the Bruins desperately tried to overcome a two-man disadvantage to get an equalizer, and the cheers of Koskinen Stadium were probably heard around the whole city of Durham. "

Are they seriously talking about the 626 fans that were there?  Seriously?  Come to Hermann to hear 6000 fans cheering and then maybe you can understand how loud a college game can be.

Never been a Duke hater but I sure will be on Saturday night.  

Better quality video of the goal and follow-up taunting: