Coach of the Year: Kalish

Defender of the Year: Keller

Offensive Player of the Year: Becher

1st team:

Becher, Klein, Palazzolo, Schulte

2nd team: Murana, 

Rookie Team: Anderson, Parker

Academic Team: Becher

https://atlantic10.com/news/2021/11/11/pompeu-oystese-slu-trio-headline-2021-mens-soccer-end-of-year-honors.aspx

slufanskip likes this

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, courtside said:

Atlantic 10 Conference Regular Season Awards:

Coach of the Year: Kalish

Defender of the Year: Keller

Offensive Player of the Year: Becher

1st team:

Becher, Klein, Palazzolo, Schulte

2nd team: Murana, 

Rookie Team: Anderson, Parker

Academic Team: Becher

https://atlantic10.com/news/2021/11/11/pompeu-oystese-slu-trio-headline-2021-mens-soccer-end-of-year-honors.aspx

-Congrats Gents, go win about 10 more games in a row

Just now, cgeldmacher said:

One save and one off the crossbar combined with SLU burying four gives the Billikens the win.

What a game. I think SLU leads the all time series with Fordham 9-6… all of the games against the Rams have been tough, physical contests. Much respect. HCKK was letting some of the Ram players after the game how much he respected their physicality. Great sportsmanship from Kevin. 

Whew....while PKs are exciting it's such a strange ending.   Let's finish that game we were just playing by playing a very different but related game.  Plus ya never know would've been such a let down after the season.   But they're victorious, 10 Time National Champions SLU going to the NCAAs.  Where can I get A10 championship swag?  Maybe a blue and white scarf?

17 minutes ago, Bills By 40 said:

PKs are one of my favorite parts of any sport. So much suspense. 

Good dub boys. 

I hate them. Imo it's a ridiculous way to decide an important game.  

Imo soccer needs a couple of things one will never happen, one you never know. 

1. Enlarge the goals. Goalkeepers are just too long and athletic. If players could shoot with a real chance to score from 25 or 30 yards out the game would open up. Much less 11 in the box defense and play for a lucky counter, draw, or PK's

2. Change the offsides rule. Preferably get rid of it but at least make it to where any part of the body has to be equal to the defender. Calls where the players head leaning forward puts them off is silly. 

Bizziken and SLU_Lax like this

12 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

I hate them. Imo it's a ridiculous way to decide an important game.  

Imo soccer needs a couple of things one will never happen, one you never know. 

1. Enlarge the goals. Goalkeepers are just too long and athletic. If players could shoot with a real chance to score from 25 or 30 yards out the game would open up. Much less 11 in the box defense and play for a lucky counter, draw, or PK's

2. Change the offsides rule. Preferably get rid of it but at least make it to where any part of the body has to be equal to the defender. Calls where the players head leaning forward puts them off is silly. 

Offsides needs to exist but I agree with that caveat. The goal size argument is akin to raising the rim in basketball because everyone can dunk. 

If goalkeepers are too good (rims too low), offensive players just need to get better (defenders get better). 

16 minutes ago, TheA_Bomb said:

Whew....while PKs are exciting it's such a strange ending.   Let's finish that game we were just playing by playing a very different but related game.  Plus ya never know would've been such a let down after the season.   But they're victorious, 10 Time National Champions SLU going to the NCAAs.  Where can I get A10 championship swag?  Maybe a blue and white scarf?

This was just the semis. I believe the championship game is Sunday. 

32 minutes ago, Bills By 40 said:

Offsides needs to exist but I agree with that caveat. The goal size argument is akin to raising the rim in basketball because everyone can dunk. 

If goalkeepers are too good (rims too low), offensive players just need to get better (defenders get better). 

You may like soccer with 11 men defending  in the box all game and teams trying to string together 4-5 passes within 18 yards of the goal to get off a crappy shot or 0-0 games after 110 minutes. I'd like to see the game opened up more. More offensive flow, more shots from distance and less packed in defending. 

I find myself turning off games unless I'm emotionally invested in the team as many, many games are just incredibly boring. And this comes from someone who played for 30 years and has followed the game very closely for 50. 

The rim argument isn't the same because it would affect shooters. Every shooter in the game would have to completely change their shot. Enlarging the goal a little only changes the strategy not the required skill. I get it'll never happen but there is absolutely no question in my mind it would make the game more exciting. I'm not talking about a huge change maybe 18" wider and 6" taller. 

Btw ... basketball did add a 3pt shot. Made the game a better game. 

And back to our regular scheduled programming......Schulte's save in regulation was unreal.  I thought it was a sure goal.

The last 20 seconds of regulation saw us almost pull it out.  Kipp does a nice move around a Fordham just inside the half near SLU's bench and plays a great ball up over everyone to Klein who is in the box.  Klein gets it down, stays so unbelievably composed as the defenders and goalie are sh-tting themselves, takes it right and tries to sneak it in the near post, only to see it go just wide.