SLU Men's Soccer Thread

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

16 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

I enjoy it for what it is. You just have to accept it as something completely different from traditional outdoor soccer. It’s good entertainment especially on a budget. 

Former Billiken Daryl Doran is an indoor soccer LEGEND. Even my buddies, who have absolutely zero interest in outdoor soccer, much less indoor soccer, know Daryl Doran. Mostly, because he was a player-coach for so long. I’d love to go see some Ambush games sometime.

12 minutes ago, courtside said:

It’s literally in the link the team provided in their tweet. 

You're clearly good with writing long diatribes recapping soccer, but seem to struggle a bit with reading comprehension.  I said "in the Tweet itself" not in the linked article.  Way more people are going to see that Tweet than will actually click on the link.  Would have been nice for the Ambush to show SLU some love by putting "The Ambush have signed former #Billikens forward..." instead of not referencing SLU in the Tweet at all.

1 minute ago, Reinert310 said:

Former Billiken Daryl Doran is an indoor soccer LEGEND. Even my buddies, who have absolutely zero interest in outdoor soccer, much less indoor soccer, know Daryl Doran. Mostly, because he was a player-coach for so long. I’d love to go see some Ambush games sometime.

Daryl Doran LEFT school early to play professional indoor soccer. I don't care if it was a go pro early deal or a school isn't my thing deal that's bananalands.

Reinert310 likes this

22 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

I enjoy it for what it is. You just have to accept it as something completely different from traditional outdoor soccer. It’s good entertainment especially on a budget. 

I get it, I just never enjoyed it. Tried playing when I first got to StL.  Just doesn't work for me. 

11 hours ago, SLUBALLS said:

2-0.  Keller PK

This team is good and getting better every game. They’re solid up the middle and have quick feet at almost every position; but where I really give Kalish credit is with the manner in which he uses his wing backs. The two of them wreck opponents’ defenses with their constant overloads..it’s a joy to watch!

courtside likes this

SLU 3 Rhode Island 1.

Rhode Island is a solid top 40 RPI team, but it was all SLU. 

Palazzolo returned to the defensive midfield from his knee injury two games ago, Wilkinson, who sometimes plays wing as an extra d-mid, was first sub there. Anderson, Komodi, Shterenberg  up front.

Schulte

Murana, Keller, Niece, Vaughn

Leeth, Buendia, AJ, Parker

Becher, Klein

SLU forced a faster pace which caused Rhode Island some challenges. 

Another early goal for SLU, something they have been able to do often this year. Parker making a wide run, so Vaughn (another strong game for Chandler) cuts inside and delivers to Becher for 1-0. Lots of wide play with Vaughn and Murana. 

Becher was taken down dribbling toward middle right side of the box. Close play. PK awarded. Keller takes it for a comfortable  2-0 halftime lead.

John Klein takes advantage of the Rhode Island giveaway. Game long pressure catching up to Rhode island, for 3-0.

Rhode Island was able to get one back  just before the end of the game on a PK. Somehow Chase Niece was called for a foul when it appeared to be the other way around. 

Solid game all around for SLU, from back to to front. 

Courtside, in all the years you have watched SLU, which team of the 20 years would you rate as comparable to this year’s team?  They feel like the SLU of old with the possession and quick passes but have an edge with the team pressing.  They just dominate teams right now.  Just a machine you expect to win.  I was thinking back to Brad Davis’s teams as being the closest and that group of freshman that were led by Vedad and company. Thoughts?  

Also if you haven’t been to Hermann lately, I would suggest it.  With the new facility coming in quickly on the south side, it is becoming an awesome confine for the team.  

slufanskip likes this

1 hour ago, SLUBALLS said:

Courtside, in all the years you have watched SLU, which team of the 20 years would you rate as comparable to this year’s team?  They feel like the SLU of old with the possession and quick passes but have an edge with the team pressing.  They just dominate teams right now.  Just a machine you expect to win.  I was thinking back to Brad Davis’s teams as being the closest and that group of freshman that were led by Vedad and company. Thoughts?  

Also if you haven’t been to Hermann lately, I would suggest it.  With the new facility coming in quickly on the south side, it is becoming an awesome confine for the team.  

Offensively, a couple of different early 2000 teams:

Dipsy, Davis, Jackie.

Vedad, John D, W John

Those were some teams that won a lot and expected to win every game, with depth of players.

If you want to go back to the mid later 90’s:

Leonard, Dimaria, Corbett, Mckeon (some kid named Kalish, Moriarity brothers on d) 

This current team has strengths in all areas of play, from Goalkeeper to backline, to wingbacks, to D-Mid, to wings, to forwards, speed, strength, size, fitness, and, they can roll out a 2nd 11 at times as needed. (and for practice/training) Maybe could add a little more efficient finishing from some of the supporting cast, transition d here and there, but they’re pretty good. Style of play is a bit different with this team. There’s a lot of experience too. Some of those past years players didn’t stay four years, Vedad, Davis, etc

Yep, I’d encourage anyone who can make it out to a game, to go for it. The new buildings are essential for recruiting and player retention. The games are fun, entertaining soccer. SLU keeps adding to keep up. Chair back seats, l.e.d. scoreboards, music entertainment for kids and families, are all part of the deal at some places. 

Hopefully, there will be several more home games this year. i believe about 4 teams either had a loss or draw ahead of SLU in the NCAA list. If SLU can win the conference tourney, while some others drop off, they should slide into the top 10 for seeding. 

One game at a time, Dayton is next. And, they played SLU pretty tough the first time. 

1 hour ago, billikenfan05 said:

Which one of us degenerate MBMs is going to hassle College Soccer News about using a logo that hasn't been official in almost a decade?

Funny you say that.  I thought the exact same thing.  That was the logo when Ream was playing.  Guess it shows how far we have fallen in the national conversation : )