SLU Men's Soccer Thread

13 hours ago, courtside said:

Celio Pompeu. He is a nice player on left wing for VCU. He created the first half chance 1v1 with Murana for service and point blank Schulte save. He kept working Shterenberg 1v1 until getting off that shot through a screen for a goal. He also hit the cross bar from distance. He didn’t get a lot of support or discipline from his teammates tonight. 

Just for additional color on this particular player for those unawares.   He is currently listed as one of the top 5 potential #1 draft picks for the MLS SuperDraft on CollegeSoccerNews.  We did well to contain him last night; he looked extremely dangerous every time he got the ball in VCU's offensive third:

image.thumb.png.0b7b2397f4fadededbe1fe7279f3703e.png

https://collegesoccernews.com/an-early-look-at-potential-1-picks-for-the-2022-mls-superdraft/

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Been wondering when SLU would catch the eye of some of the various college soccer online publications  Heading into this weekend TopDrawer had our own Kipp Keller at the top of the article.  Their comment on the VCU/SLU game was spot on. Hats off to the boys for being on the right side of the comment on goals expected:

https://www.topdrawersoccer.com/college-soccer-articles/mens-weekend-preview:-tight-races_aid49983

image.thumb.png.510cb22e032fa37452104be4e28076da.png

slufanskip and brianstl like this

Just finished watching. Very good game by the Bills.

Not much to add that hasn’t been said but I think Patrick S would like that goal back. He got caught leaning the wrong way and had to go in with his feet. He saves that 9 of 10 times.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a defender as lazy or completely uninterested in making a play as the defender near Komodi on the last goal. He literally never breaks out of a slow jog. Embarrassing 

courtside likes this

On 10/7/2021 at 8:54 AM, brianstl said:

Saturday's game is huge.  A win on the road at VCU would really solidify the team's profile.  VCU is the only opponent on the schedule this year currently in the RPI top 25.  The RPI is still supposed to play a big role in the seeding and selection of the men's soccer tournament.  SLU's current RPI is 31 with a SOS of 116.  VCU is 23 with a SOS of 56.

Billikens move up to 20th in the RPI after last night’s win. VCU is at 26th.  Billikens SOS is at 109.  Next two games won’t be RPI boosters and then we close out the season against Rhode Island currently at 42nd in the RPI.

@Pistol is correct that making up the game against Central Arkansas would offer a great RPI booster chance.

Becher named Collegesoccernews player of the week:

https://collegesoccernews.com/college-soccer-news-mens-national-team-of-the-week-week-ending-october-10-2021/

Also named as TopDrawerSoccer's player of the week:

https://www.topdrawersoccer.com/college-soccer/men

Random data....given how we are on a high right now with SLU soccer, I was curious to see just how bad we had fallen in the last decade.  Showing record, total goals scored, and top three individual player points. Absent that group McGinty had (Grayden, Kristo, Lee) which disappointed in the NCAA tourney appearances, we have been a second/third rate program for much of the last ten years.  Hopefully we are seeing the beginnings of a sustainable comeback.  Much to do though.

image.png.6aaf9ac853ace58bc79b0aebb0185531.png

1 hour ago, SLUBALLS said:

Becher named Collegesoccernews player of the week:

https://collegesoccernews.com/college-soccer-news-mens-national-team-of-the-week-week-ending-october-10-2021/

Also named as TopDrawerSoccer's player of the week:

https://www.topdrawersoccer.com/college-soccer/men

Random data....given how we are on a high right now with SLU soccer, I was curious to see just how bad we had fallen in the last decade.  Showing record, total goals scored, and top three individual player points. Absent that group McGinty had (Grayden, Kristo, Lee) which disappointed in the NCAA tourney appearances, we have been a second/third rate program for much of the last ten years.  Hopefully we are seeing the beginnings of a sustainable comeback.  Much to do though.

image.png.6aaf9ac853ace58bc79b0aebb0185531.png

John Klein made honorable mention on this week's Top Drawer Soccer Team of the Week.

United Soccer Coaches has SLU at 11th Nationally this week.

slufanskip likes this

Random data....given how we are on a high right now with SLU soccer, I was curious to see just how bad we had fallen in the last decade.

I don't follow soccer super closely, but given the current rankings I started dreaming about what the rest of the season might hold.  However, I also don't want to have totally unrealistic expectations given the state of the program for the last decade.

Not losing again during the regular season seems reasonable to me and hopefully avoiding draws as well, but we know those can happen.  I think the team should also win the A10 tournament.  Losing would be disappointing, but anything can happen in single elimination soccer tournaments.  I'd then hope for one of the top 16 seeds in the NCAA tournament (1st round bye) & winning at least 1 game in the NCAAs which would take us to the 3rd round.  That would be the the best finish since 2003, so it seems pretty ambitious.  Given our current ranking it seems reasonable though.  Is that reasonable / too conservative?  Am I getting ahead of myself and should just enjoy the ride?

1 hour ago, RUBillsFan said:

I don't follow soccer super closely, but given the current rankings I started dreaming about what the rest of the season might hold.  However, I also don't want to have totally unrealistic expectations given the state of the program for the last decade.

Not losing again during the regular season seems reasonable to me and hopefully avoiding draws as well, but we know those can happen.  I think the team should also win the A10 tournament.  Losing would be disappointing, but anything can happen in single elimination soccer tournaments.  I'd then hope for one of the top 16 seeds in the NCAA tournament (1st round bye) & winning at least 1 game in the NCAAs which would take us to the 3rd round.  That would be the the best finish since 2003, so it seems pretty ambitious.  Given our current ranking it seems reasonable though.  Is that reasonable / too conservative?  Am I getting ahead of myself and should just enjoy the ride?

Yes, you are getting ahead of yourself as you (like I) WANT all those things to happen and then some because it would feel good to see a) SLU get back on the map and b) its exciting to support a strong, competitive, winning team.  But, not losing another game is highly unlikely and an unreasonable expectation.  Odds are it will happen; to be sure, I would hope it is not early in the A10 tourney.  This team should win the conference tournament but as you noted, anything can happen.  This year, what we have going for us is a strong track record against high level teams which is great for seeding purposes in the NCAAs.  That is very different to previous years.  Wrap up the season as regular conference champion, win or go deep at the conference tourney, and we should be able to secure a high enough seed to get a couple home games for the NCAAs.

slufanskip likes this

Yes, you are getting ahead of yourself as you (like I) WANT all those things to happen and then some because it would feel good to see a) SLU get back on the map and b) its exciting to support a strong, competitive, winning team.  But, not losing another game is highly unlikely and an unreasonable expectation.  Odds are it will happen; to be sure, I would hope it is not early in the A10 tourney.  This team should win the conference tournament but as you noted, anything can happen.  This year, what we have going for us is a strong track record against high level teams which is great for seeding purposes in the NCAAs.  That is very different to previous years.  Wrap up the season as regular conference champion, win or go deep at the conference tourney, and we should be able to secure a high enough seed to get a couple home games for the NCAAs.

Thanks for the feedback.  I'll pump the brakes a bit.  I want to note, however, that I said "not losing another game during the regular season".  By that I meant winning or drawing vs Dayton, at GW, vs Rhody, and vs Central Ark (if it gets rescheduled).  While it would be awesome, I certainly don't expect them to win out, win the A10 tournament, and win the College Cup.

TSLU has two Top 100 Freshman currently per Top Drawer Soccer (#2 and #20):  https://www.topdrawersoccer.com/college-soccer/college-national-freshmen-top-100/men

Been wondering if there is any D1 school who has a professional MLS team literally down the street rorm campus?  And, if and how that will impact SLU's ability to recruit talented players if they forge a solid relationship with St. Louis City that provides opportunities for SLU soccer players: contracts, internships, other career possibilities, etc?  Seems to be a real nice secondary aspect to the convincing a recruit: solid school, great tradition, solid fan base, solid facility, and oh yea....we have a MLS team down the street we work/partner with.

On 10/12/2021 at 3:57 PM, RUBillsFan said:

Thanks for the feedback.  I'll pump the brakes a bit.  I want to note, however, that I said "not losing another game during the regular season".  By that I meant winning or drawing vs Dayton, at GW, vs Rhody, and vs Central Ark (if it gets rescheduled).  While it would be awesome, I certainly don't expect them to win out, win the A10 tournament, and win the College Cup.

You don’t?! 

To paraphrase the great Dave Grohl, Stranger things have happened. We could get on a major heater and run the table!

2 hours ago, SLUBALLS said:

TSLU has two Top 100 Freshman currently per Top Drawer Soccer (#2 and #20):  https://www.topdrawersoccer.com/college-soccer/college-national-freshmen-top-100/men

Been wondering if there is any D1 school who has a professional MLS team literally down the street rorm campus?  And, if and how that will impact SLU's ability to recruit talented players if they forge a solid relationship with St. Louis City that provides opportunities for SLU soccer players: contracts, internships, other career possibilities, etc?  Seems to be a real nice secondary aspect to the convincing a recruit: solid school, great tradition, solid fan base, solid facility, and oh yea....we have a MLS team down the street we work/partner with.

I mean, "down the street" is nice but there are plenty of other programs located very close to MLS teams. Xavier and NKU are both within 15 minutes of FC Cincinnati, to use my local example.

Is there a formal partnership between STL City and SLU?

5 hours ago, SLUBALLS said:

With regards to some of those things…

Roughly 25-30 of the top ranked national prep players, (not in order, not all) bypass college and go the professional route from academies. 

St. Louis City Academy acquired roughly 17 St. Louis FC Academy players to start their Academy. St. Louis FC still has their Academy under SLSG. St. Louis City also hired long time SLSG Goalkeeper Coach Tim Kelly from SLSG. St. Louis City also recruits Academy players from across the country and Internationally, although they have many local ones too.

Some players from the above Academies are college commits. Akron has a few now. Indiana has a few upcoming, Maher and Wagoner. And so on.

SLU briefly had Patrick Weah last year before he turned professional with Minnesota United (his hometown team). He played 3 matches for SLU and scored a goal. Patrick played in two MLS games this season at the age of 17. He then went on loan to Real Betis of La Liga for first team training, and more recently with Sacramento Republic FC. Patrick’s cousin Tim scored the game winning goal for the U.S. Men’s National Team last night in its World Cup Qualifier vs Costa Rica (Los Ticos)

Having an MLS team is definitely a positive for SLU with both local and out of town players. The two academies, and SLU all have a positive relationship. There is lots of SLU representation and crossover with all three. SLU has recruited players from academies around the country, including locally. Other teams do it too. 

2 hours ago, courtside said:

With regards to some of those things…

Roughly 25-30 of the top ranked prep players, (not in order, not all) bypass college and go the professional route from academies. 

St. Louis City Academy acquired roughly 17 St. Louis FC Academy players to start their Academy. St. Louis FC still has their Academy under SLSG. St. Louis City also hired long time SLSG Goalkeeper Coach Tim Kelly from SLSG. St. Louis City also recruits Academy players from across the country and Internationally, although they have many local ones too.

Some players from the above Academies are college commits. Akron has a few now. Indiana has a few upcoming, Maher and Wagoner. And so on.

SLU briefly had Patrick Weah last year before he turned professional with Minnesota United (his hometown team). He played 3 matches for SLU and scored a goal. Patrick played in two MLS games this season at the age of 17. He then went on loan to Real Betis of La Liga for first team training, and more recently with Sacramento Republic FC. Patrick’s cousin Tim scored the game winning goal for the U.S. Men’s National Team last night in its World Cup Qualifier vs Costa Rica (Los Ticos)

Having an MLS team is definitely a positive for SLU with both local and out of town players. The two academies, and SLU all have a positive relationship. There is lots of SLU representation and crossover with all three. SLU has recruited players from academies around the country, including locally. Other teams do it too. 

And what a stupid rule that makes that an own goal, unless it's been changed since and I haven't seen it. If the only person that touches the ball besides the shooter is the keep, it should never been an own goal. The CR keep didn't score that goal Weah did. 

courtside likes this

6 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

And what a stupid rule that makes that an own goal, unless it's been changed since and I haven't seen it. If the only person that touches the ball besides the shooter is the keep, it should never been an own goal. The CR keep didn't score that goal Weah did. 

Yep. That was a rocket, off of the post first then keeper and in. That goal deserves to be credited to Weah. 

Just now, slufanskip said:

I couldn't be sure but it looked like the keep might have nicked it before it hit the post also. 

I’d have to look at it again. I saw post then back of keeper then in. But it really doesn’t matter because it could also be keeper then post and in or keeper post keeper and in etc…and, our agreed opinion would be the same. He deserves credit for the goal as opposed to an own goal which is a much different thing. I think the circumstances vary, and therefore decisions need to vary depending on that individual circumstance.

Here’s the goal: 

slufanskip likes this

Ms. BAB and yours truly are flying into STL tomorrow (Friday), Southwest Airlines permitting, then driving up to Quincy Friday.

But we are planning to attend the SLU vs. Dayton Soccer game Saturday night, 7 p.m.

If anyone is interested in joining us, please let me know.  Perhaps we could meet for some pregame food and libation.  Our plans are totally flexible, beyond attending the game.

SLU 2 Dayton 0

Another early goal for SLU. Parker getting to the end line on left wing for a Becher near post run. Chase Niece started the play. He had a strong game in back, with distribution, knowing when to take the space, switch fields, etc, and breaking up plays

SLU controlled much of the first half and had a few more good looks but didn’t add on. 

Dayton was a deeper 4-4-2, using quick transition as much of their limited first half offense. Dayton changed a bit in the 2nd. Trapped the wings, mixed playing higher, and deeper. It was more effective for them. Chippy, hard fought, strategic game vs an open free flowing game.

SLU started Wilkinson on right wing until Palazzolo was kicked in the knee on a slide tackle, and he moved down. 

Schulte was solid. Made a couple of nice saves to keep Dayton off of the board. 

Parker added the 2nd, late for SLU off ot the set piece corner:

Schulte

Murana, Keller, Niece, Vaughn

Palazzolo, Buendia, Parker, Wilkinson 

Becher Klein

slufanskip likes this

On 10/17/2021 at 8:44 AM, courtside said:

SLU 2 Dayton 0

Another early goal for SLU. Parker getting to the end line on left wing for a Becher near post run. Chase Niece started the play. He had a strong game in back, with distribution, knowing when to take the space, switch fields, etc, and breaking up plays

SLU controlled much of the first half and had a few more good looks but didn’t add on. 

Dayton was a deeper 4-4-2, using quick transition as much of their limited first half offense. Dayton changed a bit in the 2nd. Trapped the wings, mixed playing higher, and deeper. It was more effective for them. Chippy, hard fought, strategic game vs an open free flowing game.

SLU started Wilkinson on right wing until Palazzolo was kicked in the knee on a slide tackle, and he moved down. 

Schulte was solid. Made a couple of nice saves to keep Dayton off of the board. 

Parker added the 2nd, late for SLU off ot the set piece corner:

Schulte

Murana, Keller, Niece, Vaughn

Palazzolo, Buendia, Parker, Wilkinson 

Becher Klein

The first goal was a very nice play by Parker. I thought he had no chance to turn the corner and get the service off. Then a very nice one touch redirect/shot by Betcher. 

I thought SLU looked as good as I’ve seen them. They were patient, held the ball and then exploited weaknesses or openings whenever they came about. 

courtside likes this