SLU Men's Soccer Thread

35 minutes ago, SLUBALLS said:

Season-to-date avg attendance figures for a few teams; NCAA rank shown in parentheses :

SLU (#15)   2391

SMU (#12)    650

Clemson (#19)   2472

Indiana   2850

Georgetown (#1)  1215

Creighton 2705

Duke (#4) 620

I will almost swear they said SLU was number 1 on more than 1 ESPN+ broadcast. Clearly I misheard or they were wrong.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The 1-0 win last night vs UMKC may look odd as I for one would have thought SLU would have run riot.  Shots-wise they did but SLU couldn't get the ball in the back of the net.  Then I looked at UMKC's record this year and while they have a losing one, they have played some decent teams fairly well this year: Creighton, VT, JMU, Marquette, Dayton, etc.  Getting out with a 1-0 win on the road should probably been as a decent success.  Thoughts Courtside?  Am I off base?

image.thumb.png.4242de40aea8f5bc31fd588cd039ed5a.png

brianstl likes this

1 hour ago, SLUBALLS said:

The 1-0 win last night vs UMKC may look odd as I for one would have thought SLU would have run riot.  Shots-wise they did but SLU couldn't get the ball in the back of the net.  Then I looked at UMKC's record this year and while they have a losing one, they have played some decent teams fairly well this year: Creighton, VT, JMU, Marquette, Dayton, etc.  Getting out with a 1-0 win on the road should probably been as a decent success.  Thoughts Courtside?  Am I off base?

Nope, not off base. SLU could have scored a lot of goals, be it Becher off of the post, or Buendia’s pretty service  on the double header goal (Becher) in the opening minutes and so on. (called back, just offsides) I could list several others too.

SLU opened the game playing super high up top, 3 across the front, (Becher, Klein, Anderson) with 3 aggressive defensive midfielders instead of 2, (Wilkinson, Palazzolo, Buendia) and the back 4.(Vaughn, Niece, Keller, Murana) Later in the game, and after taking a lead they played a bit deeper. But this was a dominant performance that needed, and easily could have had several more SLU goals. Much of the game was in UMKC’s end of the field. I was expecting the run of the play to be a bit more competitive than it was based on how UMKC has played some others.

I am going to go back and take a look at the game again when I get a chance. I believe the KC Roos site has their games available on demand at your leisure if you follow the prompts. (Not positive about that)

SLU’s goal was a set piece of a Klein free kick to a Becher near post run, headed far post for the goal. This happened just after half time. It really could have been a comfortable half time lead. The effort was there for SLU which I was happy about. 

This is an example of what the game looked like at times. Here’s a Klein corner, Becher flick header near post run, save, rebound Palazzolo. Bend but don’t break defense kept the Roos in the game.They didn’t have the same counter firepower as a few other teams. It’s pretty surprising that SLU finished with only one goal based on both quantity of chances, but also quality of some chances. But finding a way to get the win is of first and foremost importance. 

For anyone who asks why play Kansas City, and the importance and value of playing there (Men or Women):

As for some pre-game background, KC is in transition from a coaching standpoint. Long time HC (and former St. Louisan) Rick Benben stepped down after 22 years. Long time Tulsa player and Tulsa assistant Ryan Pore (All American as a player, played 4 yrs at Sporting KC MLS) He was a part of some NCAA teams at Tulsa. He has them playing hard. He’ll need some time to get his guys in there. And, SLU’s Kevin Komodi played at UMKC before transferring to SLU. 2nd team all Summit League Conference, and WAC Freshmen team prior to that. 

On 9/29/2021 at 10:16 AM, SLUBALLS said:

I went back to take another look to see if there was anything to add to my other post, not much…a few things.

KC was determined to play 8 behind the ball the entire game, even when losing. They thought their best chance were those very few counters. If they open up, it had a good chance to get lopsided quick. They kept good shape. I counted 8 near miss goals for SLU in the first half. 

Wilkinson moved up to right wing but he was really a hybrid there and defensive midfield.

Buendia to Wilkinson to Becher pretty double header goal called back. Another close call corner. Vaughn threading to Becher, not enough on the low shot, keeper save. Buendia top of box from Klein, just wide of post. Klein slots to Becher, rips it off of far post, rebound cleared. Keller to Klein, last second tackle before tap in goal. Vaughn to Buendia top of box over the goal. Shterenberg to Murana 5 yards out ripped just wide. Komodi left foot just over the bar. Multiple goal mouth scrums and chances. Another Buendia chance keeper save. All of this was just the first half.

KC had a couple of blocked shot corners from distance and a counter in the first, that’s it.

SLU had a lot of success with backline ground passes to showing target forwards who either gave corner give and go’s, turned to goal and shoot, or switch to far side. 

Early 2nd half goal, and a lot of count the possession passes in a row for SLU at midfield/KC half of the field. 

Get the win and get out. 

11 hours ago, SLUBALLS said:

Sweet, sweet combo between Klein and Becher to get opening goal.  1-0 SLU vs Fordham 23 min in the first half.  

So much to love and be excited about with this team. I have no proof but it feels like they are starting to catch the imagination of the SLU and St. Louis soccer community

SLU 2 Fordham 0

SLU’s John Klein came into the week leading the country in assists. He assisted on every SLU goal this week.

First goal was a Vaughn long ball settled by Klein with defender on him. Turn and sprint to goal. Back heel to Klein who returns the pass and Becher beats the defender and keeper for the tap in. 2nd goal was Klein to Murana back post free kick. Murana, Keller, etc…dangerous in support up front on set pieces.

Simon Becher has been one of the country’s offensive leaders, he scored twice this week. 

Fordham is the team that knocked SLU out of NCAA contention in the Spring. They haven’t had the same success this Fall, but they were coming off of a Big East win over Seton Hall. 

4-4-2 for SLU. Palazzolo in the defensive midfield shifting to outside back when necessary when the wing backs are forward. Shifted into the attack when necessary as well. 

Roughly similar to KC game first half. Everything down one end with heavy SLU possession. Fordham was more able on counters. 

I counted about 8 strong scoring chances for SLU in the first half, and they scored two of them.

SLU is dangerous on set pieces and corners. (Murana goal) Keller another near miss from Shterenberg. 

SLU is dangerous with the combo of Becher and Klein creating several chances together.

SLU plays ground diagonal back line balls to either defensive mids or forwards to turn as targets and go to goal, or play wide to wings in corners. 

One injury of note, and not a good one, Chandler Vaughn defending at left wing back quick change of direction slipped (it rained and the sprinkler system unexpectedly went off all over the field for 5 minutes in the middle of the game) and went down hard directly on his right elbow. Vaughn has been playing very well. (SLU has a lot of back line depth.)

Another game where first half chances were many. Getting two was good. But there’s still some room to finish the 3rd, 4th, and 5th ones. Klein, Buendia getting off a lot of shots. Komodi missed a wde open goal wide in the 2nd. Need to keep stretching the lead. 

Perhaps one reasonable scoring chance all game for Fordham went Niece went down, but it ended up harmless. 1 shot on goal all game for Fordham 

Shots were 18-8, corners 9-2.

2 hours ago, cgeldmacher said:

Hey Courtside, what is Becher's outlook after finishing at SLU next season?  Is he an MLS draftee?

Simon keeps putting himself in good position. He’s one of 3 Billikens to watch for that. 

He was named a top 10 prospect of U23 USL League 2 ball this Summer. He had a big Summer for Ocean City. SLU Keeper Patrick Schulte (SLSG) was also on that top 10 list. The third Billiken player often on the watch lists is Kipp Keller at Center Back. Whether it was as a top 25 Top Drawer Soccer list of players to watch, or top 100 list of players etc…

Simon is having a strong season after a strong summer, and he keeps getting more and more recognition, which can only help his cause. 

https://www.uslleaguetwo.com/news_article/show/1184767

I don't know why I find this interesting, but as a former Catholic high school kid from St. Louis, I do.  SLU's soccer team has one kid from CBC, one kid from Chaminade, one kid from Vianney, one kid from Priory, one kid from SLU High, and one kid from St. Mary's.  That a pretty even distribution from the local Catholic boy's schools.  Also, what the hell Desmet.

Reinert310 and drkelsey55 like this

1 hour ago, cgeldmacher said:

I don't know why I find this interesting, but as a former Catholic high school kid from St. Louis, I do.  SLU's soccer team has one kid from CBC, one kid from Chaminade, one kid from Vianney, one kid from Priory, one kid from SLU High, and one kid from St. Mary's.  That a pretty even distribution from the local Catholic boy's schools.  Also, what the hell Desmet.

Ty Frederking graduated in the Spring. He went to DeSmet. 

Times change.

SLU has 5 non-Catholic High School (4 public) players. Indiana, who’s had many Stl players over the years has 5 Stl players now, 4 attended public schools. Two recent IU commits from Stl and they are public school kids.

SLU is doing a good job of building a diverse, balanced roster, of Local, Regional, National, and International players. 

1 hour ago, cgeldmacher said:

SLU has a young budding star freshman from Quincy Notre Dame, which is a Catholic school.  Quincy is not that far away, a 2:20 drive, with US 61 now being 4 lanes.

3 hours ago, almaman said:

Oh that Quincy. Did they used to be CBC college?

The Boys half of Quincy Notre Dame High School was Christian Brothers High School from 1959-1970.  

Quincy University is the Franciscan college that used to be known as Quincy College, a former Soccer power at the NAIA level with most of its players then coming from St. Louis.  QU now plays in NCAA Division 2 in the Great Lakes Valley Conference, same conference as UMSL and McKendree.