SLU Men's Soccer Thread

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

18 hours ago, SLUBALLS said:

SLU wins late at UMASS 3-2.  Kipp Keller with a bullet strike to tie it with 7 to go.  You can see a great angle in it on Twitter.  Becher with the go-ahead two minutes later.   

I can’t give a recap of this one. There is group that flies to games, Madison, Dallas, etc…but I couldn’t make it to Amherst.

I can give some other tidbits. 

UMass can play. They were an NCAA Tourney Team this past season, and they returned 14 of their top 16 or so players. So this was a good win for SLU.

UMass doesn’t sit back, they are willing to attack and create and this in part makes them a likable matchup for SLU. 

Game basics from those there:

SLU played a similar formation to the last few games. Back 3 (Palazzolo, Keller, Niece) played the full 90. Vaughn and Parker split the left flank/wingback time. Murana played most of the game on the right side. (Shterenberg) In the defensive midfield, Buendia/Wilkinson played much of the defensive mid spots with Townsend/Johnson getting some time. Becher/Klein (Bruch, Komodi) up top along with Anderson/Leeth splitting time there.

I am told both of UMass’ goals were nice legit goals, good build up, service and finish. Klein set up 2 of SLU’s 3 goals. Here is the one SLUBALLS is referencing, Klein laying one off for Keller as a trailer:

Keller has had several near miss goals supporting from his center back position this season. It was good for him. Bruch and Becher with the other two SLU goals.

Moore and Ross played late as SLU changed up formations a little bit late to preserve the lead.

John Klein was back and he set up two of the goals.

11 minutes ago, courtside said:
14 hours ago, SLUBALLS said:

SLU wins late at UMASS 3-2.  Kipp Keller with a bullet strike to tie it with 7 to go.  You can see a great angle in it on Twitter.  Becher with the go-ahead two minutes later.   

Also…SLU opponent, Creighton, gave #1 Georgetown a good game and all they could handle, but a 90th minute game winner gave the Hoyas a 2-1 win at Creighton in front of a big crowd, 6,577. 

SLU released that Central Arkansas has had to cancel their game vs SLU Tuesday due to COVID-19 protocols. 

New Head Coach for UCA this year, Frank Kohlenstein. He laid the foundation for the many UNC Charlotte teams beginning in the 90’s. Had very good success in D-2 as well. Ross Duncan and his family, wanted to move back to Oregon. (He played at Oregon St.)

They are a solid team. They have a predominantly International mix. 2017, 218 NCAA teams were MVC League Champions. In 2019 they won the Sun Belt Conference Title, all under Ross Duncan.

10 hours ago, slufanskip said:

Anyone know who does the announcing of the games for ESPN+?

This is a good topic of discussion. 

SLU is playing catch up a bit compared to some other places with home broadcasts and production, just as it has been with facilities, soccer building etc…

On the one hand it’s great that many SLU games are available for streaming for some people who cannot make it to a game(s), as well as those who go back and rewatch a game. 

On the other hand, once that has been established, there are areas of improvement that would help. 

The enthusiasm is there. But there are things some others are doing that may help SLU. 1) Have a two person broadcast. This is more common elsewhere. It’s very challenging to be a one person broadcast, especially televised vs radio. 2) Have an additional camera on the far side of the field. The SLU pxp broadcaster clearly has trouble seeing the far side of the field. 

1a) Having an ex player or coach or other person analyst would help explain some of the strategic aspects of the game that the pxp person might not know, or remember. This is more common elsewhere. There’s an old saying that says someone knows the words but not the music. 

1b) Having two people allows for a break for the pxp person. When to talk, when not to talk, what about etc…would help with game flow.

1b) Game prep, familiarity with both teams, staying current, knowing some things from off of the field, practice etc..may help reduce speculation or guessing.

2) SLU has a higher, farther from the field camera angle than many other places. The pxp person will get quiet often when action takes places on the far side of the field. 

I think the enthusiasm is there. Describing things in real time is fine. I think some of the tangents or general type of recaps, or other don’t often match up with that. And that’s where a few suggestions such as the above may help some of those things. 

I certainly don’t have sky high expectations. But I do see a lot of games in person and streamed of several teams. So I have little bit of an understanding of the landscape.

SLU is playing catch up with the new soccer building. It’s something other schools frequently used in recruiting against SLU. (The Leahy family was kind enough to help with the current locker rooms etc..) Other bells and whistles, chair back seats, L.E.D. video scoreboards etc…are more common these days. 

For me personally, just having some video to go back and rewatch a game to take a look at some things, is all I need. I watch a lot of games in various sports on mute. But I know that’s not for everyone. 

slufanskip likes this

SLU 4 George Mason 0. SLU dominated the game. Shots 25-6. Corners 16-2. 

It will take a little more time for 2nd year GMU coach Elmar Bolowich (great success m at both UNC, Creighton) to get something going at George Mason. Does he have one more run left? It would be good for the league if he does. Very young GMU team of mostly first and 2nd year players. (heavy International and regional)

Two very different variations of a 4-4-2 between the two teams. (GMU a more traditional looking two stacks of 4.)

SLU tweaked again based on opponent and game circumstances. At times SLU essentially was playing a 2-4-4 from the back. AJ Palazollo played several different positions at Indiana. Last night he played defensive midfield, but sometimes shifted to right outside back when necessary or in the attacking midfield when necessary. Instead of 3 up top tucked inside, SLU played more two across (Becher, Klein) with wider mids. 

Kipp Keller is often one of SLU’s best players as a Center Back. He defends well, plays help defense well, distributes well. Textbook player. He has also had several near misses this season to finish offensively. Now he has scored in two straight games in different ways. Adding offense and goals from the back only adds to SLU’s attack.

Klein corner, near post, back post header, using his height, and physicality to separate from defenders. 

George Mason is more of a build it wide team than a central attacking team. SLU defended wide very well. Lots of turnovers, and opportunities. SLU’s wingbacks played well, especially Vaughn. He’s added a lot since his return defending wide, making flank runs, with distribution from the back. Strong back line game in that regard.(Murana, Niece)

Offensively, SLU’s a different team with and without Klein. SLU struggled in the final third in the game he missed with final passes and winning balls. He makes things happen as well as he frees up space for others.

Few long balls for SLU as they weren’t necessary to play over the top in front of, or in back of GMU back line. Strong ground game. Building wide, wings cutting in, give and goes was a regular occurrence. Anderson stood out there. Shterenberg and Parker later in the game. Deep bench vs a short bench helped later in the game.

Klein does the work winning the ball in the middle of the field for SLU’s 2nd goal to Komodi for the flick catching George Mason’s keeper way off of his line. 

SLU was able to add two more late after several near misses earlier.

Parker with a nice run from the left wing:

Parker with another left wing run to Simon Becher for the back heel goal.

A good win for SLU. 

cgeldmacher likes this

3 hours ago, courtside said:

This is a good topic of discussion. 

SLU is playing catch up a bit compared to some other places with home broadcasts and production, just as it has been with facilities, soccer building etc…

On the one hand it’s great that many SLU games are available for streaming for some people who cannot make it to a game(s), as well as those who go back and rewatch a game. 

On the other hand, once that has been established, there are areas of improvement that would help. 

The enthusiasm is there. But there are things some others are doing that may help SLU. 1) Have a two person broadcast. This is more common elsewhere. It’s very challenging to be a one person broadcast, especially televised vs radio. 2) Have an additional camera on the far side of the field. The SLU pxp broadcaster clearly has trouble seeing the far side of the field. 

1a) Having an ex player or coach or other person analyst would help explain some of the strategic aspects of the game that the pxp person might not know, or remember. This is more common elsewhere. There’s an old saying that says someone knows the words but not the music. 

1b) Having two people allows for a break for the pxp person. When to talk, when not to talk, what about etc…would help with game flow.

1b) Game prep, familiarity with both teams, staying current, knowing some things from off of the field, practice etc..may help reduce speculation or guessing.

2) SLU has a higher, farther from the field camera angle than many other places. The pxp person will get quiet often when action takes places on the far side of the field. 

I think the enthusiasm is there. Describing things in real time is fine. I think some of the tangents or general type of recaps, or other don’t often match up with that. And that’s where a few suggestions such as the above may help some of those things. 

I certainly don’t have sky high expectations. But I do see a lot of games in person and streamed of several teams. So I have little bit of an understanding of the landscape.

SLU is playing catch up with the new soccer building. It’s something other schools frequently used in recruiting against SLU. (The Leahy family was kind enough to help with the current locker rooms etc..) Other bells and whistles, chair back seats, L.E.D. video scoreboards etc…are more common these days. 

For me personally, just having some video to go back and rewatch a game to take a look at some things, is all I need. I watch a lot of games in various sports on mute. But I know that’s not for everyone. 

Agreed with all. I’m very happy the games are at least being shown. 

courtside likes this

Top Drawer Soccer named SLU Center Back, Kipp Keller, to its National Team of the Week. He was also named A-10 Co-Defender of the Week.

Freshman Isaiah Parker was named Top Drawer Soccer weekly Honorable Mention. He was also named A-10 Rookie of the Week.

SLU is ranked 24th in this week’s Top Drawer Soccer Poll. (Notables: SMU is 6th and still unbeaten)

United Soccer Coaches Poll, will be released this afternoon. Last week it had SLU ranked 16th. (Notables: Louisville was 25th last week, SMU was 13th)

Some stats from NCAA:

SLU’s John Klein is 1st in the country in assists (7) per game (7). Simon Becher is in the top 20.

SLU is 1st in the country in Corner Kicks per game, 70 in 8 games.

SLU is top 5 Nationally in assists as a team. 

SLU is top 10 Nationally in scoring offense.

SLU is top 10 Nationally in points per game, as well as total points.

SLU is top 10 Nationally in goal differential. 

BuiltFordBills likes this

1 hour ago, courtside said:

Top Drawer Soccer named SLU Center Back, Kipp Keller, to its National Team of the Week. He was also named A-10 Co-Defender of the Week.

Freshman Isaiah Parker was named Top Drawer Soccer weekly Honorable Mention. He was also named A-10 Rookie of the Week.

SLU is ranked 24th in this week’s Top Drawer Soccer Poll. (Notables: SMU is 6th and still unbeaten)

United Soccer Coaches Poll, will be released this afternoon. Last week it had SLU ranked 16th. (Notables: Louisville was 25th last week, SMU was 13th)

Some stats from NCAA:

SLU’s John Klein is 1st in the country in assists (7) per game (7). Simon Becher is in the top 20.

And doesn't SLU lead the country in Attendance 

42 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

And doesn't SLU lead the country in Attendance 

I forgot to look that up. Maybe someone else has it. If SLU isn’t at the top of attendance this year, it has to be close. (I remember the most recent NCAA archives from 2018 had SLU Men at 30th and SLU Women at 36th.)

2 hours ago, courtside said:

Some stats from NCAA:

Just a follow up to the rankings, United Soccer Coaches has SLU 15th this week. (16 last week). Louisville jumps from 25 to 14. SMU is 12.