SLU Men's Soccer Thread

25 minutes ago, BilliesBy40 said:

I didn’t see the play, but I have seen players stand in front of flip-throwers, and it’s totally legal (as it should be).

It wasn't a flip throw or a stand in front on the field, dude was 4 yards off the field and hands up face guarding blocking SLU player from even getting to the sideline.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, BilliesBy40 said:

I didn’t see the play, but I have seen players stand in front of flip-throwers, and it’s totally legal (as it should be).

You can’t guard a throw in like a last second basketball inbound, jumping and waiving your arms. Just like you can’t assess if someone is wrong about a play without seeing it yourself. 

1 hour ago, billikenfan05 said:

You can’t guard a throw in like a last second basketball inbound, jumping and waiving your arms. Just like you can’t assess if someone is wrong about a play without seeing it yourself. 

I could refer to any Fordham basketball play as being wrong without seeing it and have pretty decent chance of being correct. Just sayin…

Billikenbooster and AGB91 like this

10 hours ago, BilliesBy40 said:

Just throw the ball directly at their nose, and hard enough to break it. You have the right to stand there, I have the right to throw it in where I please. 

Good effort. Good result, although lots of chances for a few more and a win. 17 shots. 13 corners. Lots of free kick opportunities. Lots of chances created, several dangerous for SLU. 

SMU builds more up the middle instead of wide. SLU put Anderson and Klein inside underneath Becher. Parker wide left, Murana wide right, but both deeper. Wilkinson, Buendia, inside, Palazzolo. Keller, Niece in back. And, Schulte. This was it for much of the game. (Vaughn was out for the 2nd game in a row) Solid late game and OT minutes from Ross for Niece as he was cramping at left back. Komodi/Anderson. 

SLU bottled up Costa, Ndoye, Simonsen, etc for the most part but SMU has a good a team

On SMU’s pk, Buendia spiked Ndoye’s leg when he swung around and missed the clearance. I wouldn’t have called a pk there. I don’t give out pk’s so easily.  Tough challenge early. SLU responded very well all of the first half and much of the game. 

SLU intercepted lots of interior passes and were dangerous in transition. Interior forwards, defensive mids, and the back line. SLU marked tighter and higher, much better there. 

Lots of Parker and Murana runs on the wing. Palazzolo is textbook stepping in cut off pass, take the space, and deliver long pace long ball on target over and over. 

36th minute, Anderson gets tackled in the box after Klein hurdles a player in the corner, sprints the end line for service. Ugly, late tackle. No call. Klein unhappy and gets a yellow card. One minute later Klein free kick back post for Murana, something they have done several times this year to tie it up at 1-1. Houston kid scores in Dallas. One minute after that, Klein and Keller set up a near post free kick play and it was there but Keller put the finish wide. Five minutes later Murana run can’t connect. Becher had a through ball early in the half, flick on was saved.

Palazollo, Keller, Becher etc all late chances to win it. SLU played well enough to win and was the better team on the night against a quality team. 

All time series is 15-14-7 now. SLU recruits Texas. Murana, Brian Johnson (dad played for SLU), Iverson, Ross’ uncle played for SMU. 

On to the next one.

16 hours ago, SLUBALLS said:

Complete horsesh-t PK call on SLU in first 8 minutes. SMU forward literally kicked our player, goes down, and PK called.  Kalish gets yellow for dissent.  SMU up 1-0. 

Buendia spiked Ndoye on the leg when he spun around to clear, a bit of an open boot. Tough call there. Changed the game.  I wouldn’t have called it. If that one gets called then Anderson getting taken down in the box later was a pk too. (Klein’s first yellow). Klein’s 2nd card was the throw in with timing running out which needed to be a yellow on SMU.)

3 hours ago, slufanskip said:

Just throw the ball directly at their nose, and hard enough to break it. You have the right to stand there, I have the right to throw it in where I please. 

Klein’s 2nd yellow was on that play. The guy ran by so fast that he couldn’t have thrown the ball at him. Needed to be an SMU yellow and free kick for SLU). The first Klein yellow was when Anderson was taken down in the box without a call after Klein worked the corner, raced the end line for service. 

13 hours ago, TheA_Bomb said:

It wasn't a flip throw or a stand in front on the field, dude was 4 yards off the field and hands up face guarding blocking SLU player from even getting to the sideline.

Running by full speed w/o stopping, waving his arms to delay the throw in, under a minute left, needed to be a time stoppage, and card for SMU, and free kick for SLU. Not called. So, Klein let the ref know, and he received his 2nd yellow to end the game. (earlier he objected to the lack of a pk called when Anderson was pulled down in the box on a SLU scoring attempt. And  that’s when he received his first yellow)

18 hours ago, SLUBALLS said:

Appears SLU playing three in back - AJ, Kipp, and Niece.  SLU pressing well and creating some turnovers early.  3 corners but service has been crappy.  Klein not seeing much of ball. SLU misses glorious chance as Parker feeds the ball through to Anderson but he can’t connect and then we miss a side volley with open net.  SLU has looked good this far.  

Yep. Vaughn out the past two games. Played Moore last game. (He did well.)   Ross also played back there late for Niece, and all of OT. Lots of talent and depth in back.  Murana and Parker (both active) outside of Wilkinson and Buendia. Klein and Anderson tucked behind Becher. It was very effective for SLU much of the game. Shorter bench this time based on what was working, opponent, injury, and who’s been performing in games/practice. 

On 9/11/2021 at 8:58 AM, slufanskip said:

That’s a Jim Crews move!  When he was coaching Evansville he had Chris Mack (now Louisville HC) spike the ball off a Dayton players face because he thought the kid was guarding the inbounds passes too closely.  Mack later transferred because he didn’t want to play for Crews.

Louisville 3 Wake Forest 0. Unsurprisingly, Pedro Fonseca set up all 3 Louisville goals.

This is a helpful win for SLU. Wake Forest was 8th in the Top Drawer Soccer Poll, 10th in the College Soccer News Poll, and 25th in United Soccer Poll. 

Top Drawer Soccer has SLU remaining at 25th this week after a well played draw at SMU. (SMU is 13)

On 9/13/2021 at 11:38 AM, courtside said:

Louisville 3 Wake Forest 0. Unsurprisingly, Pedro Fonseca set up all 3 Louisville goals.

This is a helpful win for SLU. Wake Forest was 8th in the Top Drawer Soccer Poll, 10th in the College Soccer News Poll, and 25th in United Soccer Poll. 

Top Drawer Soccer has SLU remaining at 25th this week after a well played draw at SMU. (SMU is 13)

SLU is 24th in this week’s United Soccer Coaches Poll. (SMU 18th)

18 hours ago, courtside said:

SLU Keeper Patrick Schulte was named Conference Defensive Player of the Week by the Atlantic 10.

Isaiah Parker was named to the Top Drawer Soccer Team of the Week. (Simon Becher and AJ Palazzolo made earlier this season). 

https://www.topdrawersoccer.com/college-soccer-articles/mens-team-of-the-week:-september-14_aid49865

vs SMU, SLU played 3 in front of Schulte (Palazzolo, Keller, Niece). In front of them, Parker wide left, (moved back) Murana (moved up) wide right, outside of Buendia and Wilkinson. Anderson (mostly) and Klein behind Becher.

1 hour ago, SLUBALLS said:

Parker was very, very dangerous that night.  He was cutting through so many SMU's players with ease.  Commentators - who were certainly SMU supporters - noted how Parker was causing them a lot of problems.  Think Kyle Patterson-like but with an immensely better touch and control.

He looks like Tom Holland.

Courtside, hoping you have some insight from the game last night.  Disappointing to see so many quality chances created by SLU and not converted and then to give up a goal in the last ten minutes due to a poor header clearance.  Why did SIUE ascend in the last half of regulation?  I know Parker came off in the second half after getting injured but SIUE seemed to suddenly dominate SLU for reasoning I could not pick up on.  It almost looked like SLU was using tactics from the Louisivlle game and sitting back for the counter.  Did not see OT so any color is appreciated.

SLU 1 SIUE 1 2OT

Another winning home game that SLU let slip away late for a draw.

Johnny Klein was a big loss missing the game for SLU. He received two yellow cards vs SMU. The first was when Seth Anderson was pulled down in the box without a call. The 2nd was after the SMU game ended about the SMU player running by the throw in which needed to be a play stoppage, card, and final free kick scoring attempt. 

Klein not only sets and scores many of SLU’s goals, he’s one of SLU’s biggest difference makers in the final third of the field connecting passes, creating opportunities, tight spaces, and finishing opportunities. He also creates space and opportunity for his teammates by occupying defenders. And he brings an energy and toughness. 

SLU controlled most of the game and had most of the scoring chances Much of the game had at least a 3-0 feel for SLU but 1-0 score. (SIUE Coach Cale Wasserman said after that he thought his team was the better team in the 2nd half and both OT’s. I must have watched a different game.)

Early goal, 10th minute for SLU’s Seth Anderson. Wilkinson battles for  the 50/50 ball to Becher who volleys nicely to Anderson who outworks his defender to get in alone for 1-0 SLU early. 

18 shots, 7 corners later, and SLU couldn’t extend the lead. Couldn’t get the final touch. Becher had many close chances. Just one more goal changes the game. Leeth didn’t have the first touch on a Keller long ball in behind the defense. Lots of East/West aerial service for SLU around the 18 that didn’t connect except for Becher’s top corner header that was a great save to keep it 1-0. At times SIUE had 8 players defending in the box, blocking shots.

SLU’s Formation was similar to the SMU game for SLU. Leeth received the start for Klein. Deeper bench for SLU this game but 

Chandler Vaughn had a very good game for SLU. He was back after missing the past two games. He moved up as a wingback in a midfield position both defending passing lanes, and making outside runs, while also getting up and involved in the attack. 

SIUE tied it late on one of their few scoring chances on a nice play. SLU had just had a free kick and corner kick deep in SIUE territory. Splitting the center of the defensive midfield. (Buendia was subbed out a minute before this) laying a pass wide left for Jackson, one time cross, headed away by Keller but it landed at the feet of Pau Palacin, (Wilkinson slow to close out) who settled and ripped a low far post shot to the right of Schulte through a screen despite 5 SLU players nearby. It appeared it would be a harmless attempt and clear.

SIUE was content to sit back much of  the game and let SLU control the ball in the midfield circle until later in the 2nd half pushing for an equalizer. Even then, chances were limited for them. The Cougars are a balanced mix of local players, regional players and Internationals. They defended well in the final third. SLU had many chances, some very dangerous, some not dangerous.

SLU didn’t finish well enough in the final third to extend the lead. They made one mistake to tie the game. This happened vs UIC as well but that was a much different game with a much different playing style. UIC is quick, offensive and defensive transition bothered SLU at times. UIC was much more of a defend the final third team. It can get frustrating over time in a game to not get that goal to extend the lead and force SIUE to open up more. 

WUH likes this

1 hour ago, SLUBALLS said:

Courtside, hoping you have some insight from the game last night.  Disappointing to see so many quality chances created by SLU and not converted and then to give up a goal in the last ten minutes due to a poor header clearance.  Why did SIUE ascend in the last half of regulation?  I know Parker came off in the second half after getting injured but SIUE seemed to suddenly dominate SLU for reasoning I could not pick up on.  It almost looked like SLU was using tactics from the Louisivlle game and sitting back for the counter.  Did not see OT so any color is appreciated.

The header clearance by Keller was actually not bad. He had a lot behind it. The SIUE player needed to be marked there. No one was marking him even though SLU had multiple defenders nearby. Even then, it was seemingly harmless as Wilkinson was there in time to defend 1v1 at the edge of the box, but he overran the ball and the shot was behind him in between two SLU defensive midfielders. Having that shot not get blocked by Wilkinson seemed to surprised SLU’s other defenders and Schulte who was screened. I also think Patrick would like that one back. 

I think SIUE created a little more offense in the final 10-20 minutes of the 2nd half than earlier in the game. Even then, much of it was pretty benign, with SLU having more of the chances and play. Same for OT. Some of OT was played in the middle of the field. Some of it was a few chances for SLU.  Vaughn to Becher back post near miss etc…The final few minutes of 2nd OT was fatigue for both teams and not much happening. 

I didn’t think SIUE was dominating the 2nd half at all. I do think they stuck to their game plan which was a 4-4-2 sitting deep, waiting for that one or two opportunities to tie the game instead of completely opening up their play which would have been what SLU wanted. This was more frustrating over time for SLU as they had many final third chances to tack on a few goals for a bigger cushion.

SLU could have been more aggressive in alignment and positioning after the SIUE goal, to change the style of play in the game and press for their 2nd goal, and take more chances. It would be fair to question SLU’s tactics and alignment vs a team that plays the way SIUE plays, as opposed to SMU. It worked well vs SMU. But this was a much different team.

Louisville is also a different team, much more aggressive than SIUE, more firepower but more vulnerable defensively. SLU does have a tendency to sit deeper with a lead. But SIUE didn’t change their tactics much. Many teams would open up more and take more chances. They didn’t. 

In back, SLU is very good and solid but in those handful of chances per game, a ball gets deflected by a SLU player to an opponent who has sometimes finished. 

Both Louisville and UIC in my opinion were more dangerous more often than SIUE.

Playing to your best level vs playing to the level of opponent is a thing too. SLU’s best games have been vs Creighton and SMU. Have to bring that for 90 plus vs every team. Finish chances. It doesn’t have to be pretty.

They still haven’t lost a game. They will fall out of the rankings temporarily and that’s ok. They are doing some things well. They also learned the value of a missing Klein last night. They have some work to do to keep improving.

@courtside Your posts are so good that I feel like I should be paying you to read them. As long as you are posting, I have nothing to add, but I'll say this: for the casual fan who usually goes to a few games because you love supporting SLU, it is definitely time to get back to campus for a game.

It may be that I was overly excited to watch my first in-person game since 2019, but that was a great game. 

SLU plays a style that should appeal to most fans and does so with a number of local players.  Lots more intriguing games on the schedule.  Go support this team!

4 hours ago, WUH said:

@courtside Your posts are so good that I feel like I should be paying you to read them. As long as you are posting, I have nothing to add, but I'll say this: for the casual fan who usually goes to a few games because you love supporting SLU, it is definitely time to get back to campus for a game.

It may be that I was overly excited to watch my first in-person game since 2019, but that was a great game. 

SLU plays a style that should appeal to most fans and does so with a number of local players.  Lots more intriguing games on the schedule.  Go support this team!

Thanks, that’s very kind. It’s good to know periodically that some people are interested in the topic. Sometimes you don't know without feedback or input. And, it’s more effective when it’s not just one or two people involved in the discussion. 

Everyone is welcome, everyone can learn something, and everyone has something to offer. It doesn’t take much for a back and forth positive discussion. It just takes some interest, and respectful/sincere posting. That’s it. 

It was a good game. SLU only has two Seniors that play, four overall. So, combined with new payers, they have a chance to be pretty good the next few seasons as well. Hopefully both the SLU Men and Women can finish strong and keep it going.

slufanskip likes this