SLU Men's Soccer Thread

29 minutes ago, courtside said:

Yep, scoring draughts have cost SLU Men this season, both in and out of conference. That 1-0 2OT loss at Marquette with 5 seconds left stings, as Marquette has had a very good season, and, is 9th in RPI. SLU is 50th.

SLU needs to win both games in the conference tourney, and, both are very winnable. 

So they're out if they don't win both?

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

50 minutes ago, Pistol said:

So they're out if they don't win both?

It would be in their best interest to take care of their own business Thursday and Saturday to avoid the possibility. Not getting the 1 seed, not winning the conference tourney title, and not having strong non conference results to fall back on, would not be ideal. It’s an unusual season with an unusual schedule. 

3 hours ago, courtside said:

It would be in their best interest to take care of their own business Thursday and Saturday to avoid the possibility. Not getting the 1 seed, not winning the conference tourney title, and not having strong non conference results to fall back on, would not be ideal. It’s an unusual season with an unusual schedule. 

They absolutely need to with the A10 tournament to make the dance.

Good news: they are the best team in the A10.  if Vegas gave odds, and the oddsmaker understood soccer, Bills would be favored over the other three teams, including Dayton.

Bad news: it seems like every time Bills make the A10 tournament, they total outplay their opponent.....and find a dramatic way to lose.  Heart wrenching....

Bizziken and Reinert310 like this

A-10 Awards:

Defensive Player of the Year: Patrick Schulte

4 first team players. (Patrick Schulte, Christian Buendia, Simon Becher, Mujeeb Murana)

3 2nd team players. (Kipp Keller, John Klein, Mason Leeth)

All Academic team, Keaton Schieffer)

20 players 3.0 or higher GPA.

Mujeeb Murana was also named to the Top Drawer Soccer Team of the Week.

Zink and BuiltFordBills like this

Schulte launches a long ball into the box and headed by Fordham off of the cross bar. Late pressure comes up short.

SLU not good enough parts of the 2nd half, but, had much more of the play. End result is just one goal. This was consistent this year as SLU didn't finish enough at times.

Disappointing end to the season.

2-1 Final Fordham.

48 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

If you are a soccer power, do you lose to Fordham?  Or George Washington?  They didn’t score all day.

Do you mean those specific schools/teams? Or do you mean smaller conference non-Power 5/Big East teams? (Because there are about a dozen of them in the top 25). 

SLU hasn't been a Men's soccer power in many years. They are hoping to get back to that. They were expected to win the league and win the conference tourney. They finished 2nd in the league, and, they lost in the Conference Tourney Semifinals.

They finished below expectations. They were good at times this year. Their problems developed when they couldn't or didn't score enough goals in games they otherwise were in position to win. That happened today. It was a lot or a little this year game to game. Flashes but not consistent enough, finding ways to lose a few close games while winning convincingly in some others. Fordham had far less chances but they converted two of them.

SLU hasn't been a consistent NCAA team in over a decade. And when they were a consistent NCAA team prior to that, you have to go back about 18 years and prior when SLU was making consistent deeper NCAA Tourney runs.

Donigan was no longer getting deeper NCAA runs. McGinty was no longer getting consistent NCAA's. This is Kalish' 3rd season. It hasn't been quick success. But SLU has a young team with some positives too.

Zink likes this

12 minutes ago, courtside said:

Do you mean those specific schools/teams? Or do you mean smaller conference non-Power 5/Big East teams? (Because there are about a dozen of them in the top 25). 

SLU hasn't been a Men's soccer power in many years. They are hoping to get back to that. They were expected to win the league and win the conference tourney. They finished 2nd in the league, and, they lost in the Conference Tourney Semifinals.

They finished below expectations. They were good at times this year. Their problems developed when they couldn't or didn't score enough goals in games they otherwise were in position to win. That happened today. Fordham had far less chances but they converted two of them.

SLU hasn't been a consistent NCAA team in over a decade. And when they were a consistent NCAA team prior to that, you have to go back about 18 years and prior when SLU was making consistent deeper NCAA Tourney runs.

Donigan was no longer getting deeper NCAA runs. McGinty was no longer getting consistent NCAA's. This is Kalish' 3rd season. It hasn't been quick success. But SLU has a young team with some positives too.

All true, but D*&% that was a brutally clear penalty!!!  And the save on Klein in the first half was sublime.  

3 minutes ago, Gremio14 said:

All true, but D*&% that was a brutally clear penalty!!!  And the save on Klein in the first half was sublime.  

Those things are true. But SLU didn't defend well enough on two goals, didn't finish enough chances etc...to create enough of a cushion for a bad call or great save.

1 minute ago, courtside said:

Those things are true. But SLU didn't defend well enough on two goals, didn't finish enough chances etc...to create enough of a cushion for a bad call or great save.

Agreed.  Becher has the tools...he was simply off today. He had two clear chances in first half.  Keeper made a great reaction save on one, and Becher totally blew the second. Finishing was not good....

1 hour ago, Taj79 said:

If you are a soccer power, do you lose to Fordham?  Or George Washington?  They didn’t score all day.

I would also point out what Katie Shields is doing with SLU Women’s soccer. It’s apples to oranges. But she spent her first 3 seasons seasons building, struggling. She then won at higher levels the next two seasons, on the cusp, 2nd place etc.. a couple of times. Then in season’s 6, 7, 8, three straight regular season titles, 3 straight (hopefully) conference tourney titles, 3 straight NCAA’s. 

Her next step is doing damage in the NCAA’s, winning games in it and making deeper runs. Her team starts one Senior, a few Juniors, and most are Freshmen and Sophomores. 

She won her 100th game today. She has built a fun, winning, positive culture on and off of the field. 

Let’s see if Kalish can do that too. 

I enjoyed the women's game today.  But a thrice-time undefeated champion in  the A10 MUST move on or what does it matter?  We are a girl's soccer power in the A10. Which could be seen as a big fish in a tiny pond.  Shields and company now need to do more.  First Davidson.

The men need to give up the ghost as far as anything meaningful in the national consciousness.  I don't care that Georgetown won a national title last year just like I don't care Umass won a Frozen Four this year.  The sports don't matter to me.  But that's me .... as we all know by now.  If you can't beat Fordham, George Washington, and dominate the A10, competing with the likes of Maryland, Virginia, Stanford, North Carolina and Indiana are pipe dreams.  I don't care that Fordham made an Elite Eight ..... that's like Abilene Christian making a Sweet Sixteen.  Or Loyola.  happens.  Not only are we not even going to the Dance, we didn't win our lowly conference as predicted.  Just another men's soccer failure.

bauman likes this

23 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

I enjoyed the women's game today.  But a thrice-time undefeated champion in  the A10 MUST move on or what does it matter?  We are a girl's soccer power in the A10. Which could be seen as a big fish in a tiny pond.  Shields and company now need to do more.  First Davidson.

The men need to give up the ghost as far as anything meaningful in the national consciousness.  I don't care that Georgetown won a national title last year just like I don't care Umass won a Frozen Four this year.  The sports don't matter to me.  But that's me .... as we all know by now.  If you can't beat Fordham, George Washington, and dominate the A10, competing with the likes of Maryland, Virginia, Stanford, North Carolina and Indiana are pipe dreams.  I don't care that Fordham made an Elite Eight ..... that's like Abilene Christian making a Sweet Sixteen.  Or Loyola.  happens.  Not only are we not even going to the Dance, we didn't win our lowly conference as predicted.  Just another men's soccer failure.

Yet you still cheer for the men’s basketball team.