GDT: Arch Baron Cup Rd 1

wgstl

Honestly we all saw this coming, lets be honest guys. Its NEVER easy for us.  And if we lose Friday, suddenly what seemed like a sure at large bid is going to start to slip. 

Ford coached a bad game.  Linssen needed more time. So did Hargrove.  And the no in game adjustments from OK state did rear their ugly head.  How do you let them shoot almost 50 percent from three? No excuse for that..

HoosierPal likes this

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

25 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

I think I had Kmed's mom as a customer today. She said the Dem's were putting mind control drugs in the Covid vaccine. I'm conservative and I can't help but say wtf... and just laugh

If your even considering taking the kung flu vaccine it seems like  you are the one under mind control . 

I have a secret for you skip bc you obviously havent seen the CDCs reports saying it's a 99.999% survival rate .  My secret for you is , dont believe in kung flu and it will all magically go away. And instead of being nervous about kung flu you can laugh at all the people wearing masks running around afraid .  I guarantee If you never wore a mask again in your life and didn't believe in kung flu , you would not only survive but you would also be more comfortable . Your not gonna die from kung flu I promise .  It's much more likely you negatively affect your life by overworrying and putting a muzzle on yourself when buying milk then getting the sniffles from kung flu.

Try my secret , it works , from one bill to another , 

Good night 

God bless 

7 hours ago, slufanskip said:

I'm sorry but this just shows a complete lack of understanding what kind of condition you have to be in to play a basketball game at this level, forget coming off a sickness that causes respiratory issues. We practiced for 4 days and I'm sure they weren't going as hard as possible. Why don't they just start the season after 4 days of limited practice. 

Guarding Crutcher is hard, it's even harder when you're not in peak condition and are a half step slow

I was saying I think Dayton (Crutcher) beats us even if we were at full strength. We haven't found an answer for him in 4 years.

7 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

I was saying I think Dayton (Crutcher) beats us even if we were at full strength. We haven't found an answer for him in 4 years.

So you're just going to ignore Ibi Watson's 18 points and our worst game of the year by far on the offensive boards?  Okay.

Crutcher played well against us in the A10 tournament two years ago on a better Dayton team and we won going away.   We don't have to find an "answer" for a single player to win ball games.  We just have to do what we do.  But it's going to take time.

8 hours ago, slufanskip said:

I'm sorry but this just shows a complete lack of understanding what kind of condition you have to be in to play a basketball game at this level, forget coming off a sickness that causes respiratory issues. We practiced for 4 days and I'm sure they weren't going as hard as possible. Why don't they just start the season after 4 days of limited practice. 

Guarding Crutcher is hard, it's even harder when you're not in peak condition and are a half step slow

skip if we would have used our depth and still had the result we had and looked the same i would hear you.   but the fact that the starters played more cumulative minutes then the starters have played in any other game this year tells us we didnt use our bench.   now if ford wants to tell us the subs all were really still suffering from the virus quarantine time off, fine, tell us that.   but those that did get in the game looked as good as the starters when in the game. 

changing the tempo and not pressing till the end not getting out and getting down the floor played right into dayton's hands.   

and shooting the three like we did?   what the hell was that about?

just not a good game.  actually painful to watch last night.   that game imo is on ford.  

bauman and willie like this

7 hours ago, youjustgotKMed said:

If your even considering taking the kung flu vaccine it seems like  you are the one under mind control . 

I have a secret for you skip bc you obviously havent seen the CDCs reports saying it's a 99.999% survival rate .  My secret for you is , dont believe in kung flu and it will all magically go away. And instead of being nervous about kung flu you can laugh at all the people wearing masks running around afraid .  I guarantee If you never wore a mask again in your life and didn't believe in kung flu , you would not only survive but you would also be more comfortable . Your not gonna die from kung flu I promise .  It's much more likely you negatively affect your life by overworrying and putting a muzzle on yourself when buying milk then getting the sniffles from kung flu.

Try my secret , it works , from one bill to another , 

Good night 

God bless 

You have no self control or awareness.

Please boycott immediately.

This was the kind of game I expected from the Billikens last night, but I still thought we would win.  What I didn’t expect was Dayton to play as well as they did.  We weren’t sharp mentally at all, but I think physically we were better than I expected. The staff wasn’t in mid season mental form either. Give Dayton some credit.  They played like a proud and desperate team.

Overall, I think we all are over analyzing what happened last night and we will be fine as the mental focus approves with more court time.

9 hours ago, slufan13 said:

I've been wondering that too. Not just with Jimerson but really all out shooters. French seems way less willing to pass out of the post this season. It was quietly a really good skill of his

He’s trying to do way too much... trying to prove he’s this dominant post presence who can also handle the ball.  And that just isn’t the case.  We were most successful when he stuck to what he is... a good A10 level defender and rebounder. You aren’t going to the Association, kid.  Sorry to say it

bauman and slufan13 like this

Just now, gobillsgo said:

He’s trying to do way too much... trying to prove he’s this dominant post presence who can also handle the ball.  And that just isn’t the case.  We were most successful when he stuck to what he is... a good A10 level defender and rebounder. You aren’t going to the Association, kid.  Sorry to say it

i contend French is an NFL player.   that one catch and dunk in traffic last night was spectacular.   a lot of NFL teams would kill for that tight end.

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

skip if we would have used our depth and still had the result we had and looked the same i would hear you.   but the fact that the starters played more cumulative minutes then the starters have played in any other game this year tells us we didnt use our bench.   now if ford wants to tell us the subs all were really still suffering from the virus quarantine time off, fine, tell us that.   but those that did get in the game looked as good as the starters when in the game. 

changing the tempo and not pressing till the end not getting out and getting down the floor played right into dayton's hands.   

and shooting the three like we did?   what the hell was that about?

just not a good game.  actually painful to watch last night.   that game imo is on ford.  

Demarius Jacobs played 12 minutes, TJ Hargrove 0+ minute. Unless there is an undisclosed explanation, that is insufficient utilization of the Bench, especially coming off a 34 day layoff. 

My contention stands that Jacobs should be played as many minutes, if not more, than Gibson Jimerson (28 minutes last night). And we’re back to confining to the deep recesses of the now socially spaced bench a potential Dr. J in TJ Hargrove.

HoosierPal likes this

I don’t know what to think about this game. Dayton hit a lot of circus level shots. Crutcher in particular hit some shots that should never have gone down. We did not rebound great. Our defense was not tight enough in the first 10 minutes, but better after that.

Pistol nailed the issue, we need to get Gibson and Perkins 6 3-pointers each game. We should be manufacturing that, no matter how we do it. If you cannot at least work harder to get Gibson open, then play Jacobs instead. He will get 6-8 points and has better defense and driving. Also, FT looked great at times last night, and I still can’t imagine how he takes more minutes than Jacobs. I see FT as a pure Goodwin sub right now, which is great for next year.

One weird thing that we did was have French and Linssen on the court in the second half, and it worked. If you are not going to shoot the three, then pounding inside with those two is fine by me. 
Just a bummer if a loss. I don’t think the coaching was bad. Just players being rusty, and other teams have learned how to game plan us.

2010andBeyond likes this

imo we did not see near the agression of yuri as we have seen all year prior to last night.   yes he had a season high in assists, but it was a different feel than normal.   i actually dont think this is yuri's doing.  we all know he wants to go.   until we hear different, i believe that ford dictated the style of the offense last night which resulted in more standing around which lead to less open spots for jimmmerson, jacobs and perkins behind the line and likely less easy offensive rebounding opportunities.   we played right into the dayton 2011 team's hands with their short bench quality. 

23 minutes ago, AnkielBreakers said:

I don’t know what to think about this game. Dayton hit a lot of circus level shots. Crutcher in particular hit some shots that should never have gone down. We did not rebound great. Our defense was not tight enough in the first 10 minutes, but better after that.

Pistol nailed the issue, we need to get Gibson and Perkins 6 3-pointers each game. We should be manufacturing that, no matter how we do it. If you cannot at least work harder to get Gibson open, then play Jacobs instead. He will get 6-8 points and has better defense and driving. Also, FT looked great at times last night, and I still can’t imagine how he takes more minutes than Jacobs. I see FT as a pure Goodwin sub right now, which is great for next year.

One weird thing that we did was have French and Linssen on the court in the second half, and it worked. If you are not going to shoot the three, then pounding inside with those two is fine by me. 
Just a bummer if a loss. I don’t think the coaching was bad. Just players being rusty, and other teams have learned how to game plan us.

7 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

imo we did not see near the agression of yuri as we have seen all year prior to last night.   yes he had a season high in assists, but it was a different feel than normal.   i actually dont think this is yuri's doing.  we all know he wants to go.   until we hear different, i believe that ford dictated the style of the offense last night which resulted in more standing around which lead to less open spots for jimmmerson, jacobs and perkins behind the line and likely less easy offensive rebounding opportunities.   we played right into the dayton 2011 team's hands with their short bench quality. 

Lots of good comments in these two posts.  The easiest job for a sports fan is to second guess after the game is over.  We are all good at that.

Crutcher's circus shots, that is what he does.  Yes, we left him and Watson wide open way too often.  Thatch, in my opinion, did the best job on Crutcher.  He quieted him down a little during the middle portions of the game.

Perkins averages only 3.7 3FGA and Jimerson 4.9 3FGA per game.  They don't shoot that many threes.  Jimerson is not that difficult to guard.  You don't have to put your best perimeter defender on him.  He is primarily a catch and shoot sniper.  He doesn't have Crutcher's circus shots in his arsenal.  So we have to get him the ball on target, on time, for him to be at his best.  

Yes, I think Grant won the battle of the coaches.  He was going to let Tshimanga and Sissoko bounce off of French and sent him to the line 9 times.  The doubles came, but not too many triples.  He had Amzil on Jimerson a lot, a player with limited defensive skills but length.

We have all mentioned the question of shortening our bench.  Perhaps there were players not yet ready to contribute, particularly Bell and Hargrove.  TJ got in what 20 seconds, and Bell DNP.  Perhaps Bell could have bodied Tshimanga into an earlier foul or two, who knows.  Just mysterious after what Coach indicated on the pre game show that we would be coming at them in waves.

Move on.  While it is too early for a Must Win, our At Large resume won't look very good if we don't win at Richmond.  We don't want to be next to St. Joe's in the table.

slufan13 likes this

11 hours ago, Soderball said:

Billikens terrible from the three-point line. Jimerson, Perkins, jacobs, and collins have to get it together. We will win exactly zero games with this kind of 3 point performance. Awful. Jimerson needs to take more shots, perkins needs to give us the threes I know he can deliver

I think we blame the layoff on that one. In game jumpers don't come easy after a month without them

15 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Lots of good comments in these two posts.  The easiest job for a sports fan is to second guess after the game is over.  We are all good at that.

Crutcher's circus shots, that is what he does.  Yes, we left him and Watson wide open way too often.  Thatch, in my opinion, did the best job on Crutcher.  He quieted him down a little during the middle portions of the game.

Perkins averages only 3.7 3FGA and Jimerson 4.9 3FGA per game.  They don't shoot that many threes.  Jimerson is not that difficult to guard.  You don't have to put your best perimeter defender on him.  He is primarily a catch and shoot sniper.  He doesn't have Crutcher's circus shots in his arsenal.  So we have to get him the ball on target, on time, for him to be at his best.  

Yes, I think Grant won the battle of the coaches.  He was going to let Tshimanga and Sissoko bounce off of French and sent him to the line 9 times.  The doubles came, but not too many triples.  He had Amzil on Jimerson a lot, a player with limited defensive skills but length.

We have all mentioned the question of shortening our bench.  Perhaps there were players not yet ready to contribute, particularly Bell and Hargrove.  TJ got in what 20 seconds, and Bell DNP.  Perhaps Bell could have bodied Tshimanga into an earlier foul or two, who knows.  Just mysterious after what Coach indicated on the pre game show that we would be coming at them in waves.

Move on.  While it is too early for a Must Win, our At Large resume won't look very good if we don't win at Richmond.  We don't want to be next to St. Joe's in the table.

I thought we did a very poor job of getting the ball to Jimerson when he was open. Several times we forced the ball to the rim when he appeared open on the outside. I don't know if they have lost confidence but Yuri seems to be the only one who will throw him the ball. 

Dr Bird and slufan13 like this

19 minutes ago, AnkielBreakers said:

The one problem I had with the coaching was sitting on the first half time out during a scoring drought late in the first half.  From the the 5:56 mark we went seven trips without scoring and it was obvious two trips in the offense was a mess.  I know Ford was waiting for the under 4 timeout, but I think his waiting cost us some points by holding on to time that time out.  We finally got the under 4 timeout with 2:51 to go and scored on our next possession with 2:24 to go.

slufan13 likes this

-TJH was dancing on the sideline in several camera views, funny way to act if he can't log 5 minutes

-the mpg stats are head scratching for a team in our status

-CFord seemed very engaged with the refs, more than normal, I don't like that, are refs going to make bad calls? sure and they typically go both ways and they did last night

-JGood you did charge, complaining won't help it, play the game

-SVU did an AMAZING job rebounding, simply AMAZING, for our team to get 2 offensive rebounds (we were averaging over 12) and JGood to get zero is, well, AMAZING

-how can our game plan not include to never leave Crutcher? although postgame CFord said we didn't do our typical job of following the plan

-move on, we'll see what we have on Friday at 5.30 CT on ESPN2, looking at their box scores Richmond has not had fans in the stands

It seems like when we fell behind by 7 or 9, guys would resort to hero ball rather than setting up Jimerson, Perkins, or Jacobs for a 3 attempt. French tried to do too much at times and that means he’ll get fouled. So you get 1 pt instead of 2 or 3. Because UD got so hot from 3 town, when we answered we’re still losing a point or two to them. Our 3 pt game was not there last night, but was it because we weren’t looking to set guys up for 3’s or because they were missing them? A little bit of both I think.   Both Jimerson and Perkins are rhythm guys on 3s so they got to get more shots they make a couple and they’re off to the races. 

Dr Bird likes this