TV Carriers

courtside

1 hour ago, Compton said:

UT @ Austin has started down that road with the Longhorn Network. Although it's not available (yet) as a standalone streaming service. 

BYU was doing something like this as well. Notre Dame’s NBC deal will end in the next 4 years. When that happens, it will be interesting to see what they do.

1 hour ago, AnkielBreakers said:

I don’t know. They are just figuring out what people are willing to pay. I just won’t pay it. That said, I look forward to the day that the sports teams cut out the middle man and start placing their content in an online platform themselves. It would be more money for them, and potentially expensive for us, but if I could just have Billiken Basketball, then I would pay $5-$10 per month without concern.

I don't think that's really the solution. It works for die-hards of any school that will pay those fees, but the average fan of a team or even causal fan nationwide of a sport isn't going to pay to buy subscriptions for every team. For example, when I watch college football I watch the big games that are on CBS at 2:30 or ESPN/ABC at 7 PM because they are big-time teams playing other big-time teams. I have no interest in searching for an internet feed to watch Alabama play LSU and then entering my credit card info for the pleasure to do so. But if I turn on CBS and the game is on, I'll watch.

Going down the path of cutting out the middle man risks alienating a large set of eyeballs that would otherwise tune in if it was free (and the only cost incurred was having to watch tv commercials).

SLU_Nick and BilliesBy40 like this

I see this just like when quick lubes started up.  They kept dropping their price until the hit a price point that people were willing to pay for a drive in oil change service.  Once they got people coming then they slowly started raising the price until they are now as expensive as a dealer.  This what Bally will do  - the first price they put out doesn't attract enough people they will start giving special pricing until they get to a price point that people are willing to pay - might be $5.95 (who knows) but once they get you in then they will start raising prices. Cable also did this.

21 minutes ago, kshoe said:

I don't think that's really the solution. It works for die-hards of any school that will pay those fees, but the average fan of a team or even causal fan nationwide of a sport isn't going to pay to buy subscriptions for every team. For example, when I watch college football I watch the big games that are on CBS at 2:30 or ESPN/ABC at 7 PM because they are big-time teams playing other big-time teams. I have no interest in searching for an internet feed to watch Alabama play LSU and then entering my credit card info for the pleasure to do so. But if I turn on CBS and the game is on, I'll watch.

Going down the path of cutting out the middle man risks alienating a large set of eyeballs that would otherwise tune in if it was free (and the only cost incurred was having to watch tv commercials).

I envision a future where each university has only given a non-exclusive right over their broadcasts to a central system, a d retained part for their private use.

On 6/24/2021 at 7:22 PM, Compton said:

It's behind a pay wall, but I'm pretty sure the headline and blurb say it all: 

Media Views: Bally Sports Midwest expected to charge $20-$30 monthly for direct access

Channel that carries Cardinals, Blues and some SLU games is planning to be offered à la carte beginning next spring.

The Bally sports app I’ll make you want rip your own face off in frustration..  will be very disappointed if this will be the only Avenue to get some slu games.