The NCAA tournament will be contained within Indiana's borders

1 hour ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

You seem to be insinuating that the Billikens "may not" make the Tournament.  My response:

SILENCE, you Doubting Thomas!

This is still an NCAA Tournament squad.  Periodt.

(Wish I could do the meme with the yelling woman and the cat in the restaurant.)

I don’t know, man. I try to be optimistic, but I don’t like the trajectory of this season.

49 minutes ago, Brighton said:

That’s also correct.

That's fine, but if you were also meaning that things don't look good anymore such that you think there's a chance we won't make the tournament, then I wholeheartedly disagree.  Yesterday was our only bad loss, albeit a team with a decent reputation, and it was right after we came back from a long COVID pause.  We will be in the tournament.

Quality Is Job 1 likes this

35 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

This will be very interesting. 

I think this will be a huge issue. Basically anybody that is a lock for the dance is going to opt out of their conference tourney, which in turn will result in a lot of bid stealers getting in. Not sure how the NCAA can stop this.

HoosierPal likes this

Maybe a standard NET ranking penalty for those that skip conference tournaments? I don't know whether you'd have to apply it to the formula or the actual ranking, though. For some teams it would mean their seed gets worse, and for others it means they can't make it. Power conference bubble teams are basically the ones I'd be trying to send the message to.

My instinct is to be sympathetic to those with genuine COVID-related concerns who don't want to travel, but I don't think that applies to programs who aren't willing to go to a conference tournament and totally ready to go to the NCAA Tournament.

kshoe likes this

-is it as simple as if you can't or won't play in your conf tourney you aren't going to play in the NCAA tourney? 

-if you 'throw' a game or anyone on the Committee thinks, just thinks,  you 'threw' a game you also don't get invited to the Dance, this year and the next three including all teams with any member of the coaching staff that 'threw' a game

1 hour ago, Cowboy said:

-is it as simple as if you can't or won't play in your conf tourney you aren't going to play in the NCAA tourney? 

-if you 'throw' a game or anyone on the Committee thinks, just thinks,  you 'threw' a game you also don't get invited to the Dance, this year and the next three including all teams with any member of the coaching staff that 'threw' a game

No it is not that simple.  

If Gonzaga goes undefeated, and they skip their league tourney, you want them out? 

Really this does not pertain to the typical multi-bid leagues.  The league champ should and will get in.  It is highly unlikely, but possible, that a team - example Nebraska - runs the Big 10 tourney and gets a bid. Again, highly unlikely.  So i would give a pass to all typical multi-bid leagues champs.  SLU wins the A10, St. B wins the tourney, we both get in regardless of SLU playing in the tourney. 

Where I would draw the line, and I don't have an answer where the line is, are conferences like the Missouri Valley.  Assume Drake runs away with the league table and says no to the tourney.  Should the winner of the MVC tourney get the bid or should Drake?  I'm saying, in this particular example, no, to Drake, hmm, or maybe - yeah the Valley may be a two bid league this season. It gets confusing.  Lower mids like the MEAC, one bid no matter if the champ plays or sits....let the league figure it out who gets that cherished 16th seed.

No good answer, but I want the Gonzaga's of the field In.  I will be interested in reading how the NCAA is going to handle it.  They draw a hard line against skipping, and due to the tourney a team comes down with COVID like we did, they have an interesting issue to handle.  The only for sure is that Boeheim gets Syracuse in, no matter what they do.  He has a lifetime autobid.

On 1/27/2021 at 4:03 PM, cgeldmacher said:

That's fine, but if you were also meaning that things don't look good anymore such that you think there's a chance we won't make the tournament, then I wholeheartedly disagree.  Yesterday was our only bad loss, albeit a team with a decent reputation, and it was right after we came back from a long COVID pause.  We will be in the tournament.

Soooo, wanna take this back ?

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

That's an unreal team, although I think the lineup would shake out differently once they got together. I forgot about Aaron Cook at Gonzaga.

• 2 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Will teams need to have a winning record to participate?  If so, a lot of those lower tier Power conference teams might not even be eligible.

Bummer about not giving conference champions who don't win conference tournaments a spot, but with only 16 spots, they can't guarantee that regardless.  There are 31 conferences (32 - Ivy League) that would participate.  Being generous 11 conferences regular season champs would likely make the NCAAs regardless of winning their touraments (A10, AAC, ACC, B10, B12, BE, MVC, MWC, P12, SEC, WCC).  That still leaves 20 conferences whose champs would need NIT spots of they don't win their tournaments.  Not very likely that 17 of those would lose their conference tournaments, but that is something the NIT needs to factor in.  How would you decide which 16 make if more than 16 end up with "guarenteed" spots.