2020-2021 NCAA Net Rankings

courtside

2 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

The announcers last night said if the Bills win out then one has to ask if going to the conf tourney has any advantage.  They had a point.  Why risk being exposed for no real reason.  We would be in the tourney without the conf. tourney.  Where you are seeded has some advantages but honestly in this season it may not be that critical - just get in and then win

-if the A10 hasn't they should announce if you want the money from any NCAA Tourney games you will play in the A10 Tourney

-I guess there is one out there but I am not seeing the argument I could get on board with for a team like ours not playing in the conf tourney

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Teams skipping out on the conference tournaments is so incredibly dumb. Saw that Gonzaga and BYU might skip out on the WCC tourney. If they do that they should not be allowed in the NCAAT. Some random third team with a NET near 100 would end up winning the WCC tourney and bump out a bubble team that deserved it much more. If that happens in multiple conferences it completely ruins the NCAAT field

12 hours ago, BillsBeliever!!! said:

Teams skipping out on the conference tournaments is so incredibly dumb. Saw that Gonzaga and BYU might skip out on the WCC tourney. If they do that they should not be allowed in the NCAAT. Some random third team with a NET near 100 would end up winning the WCC tourney and bump out a bubble team that deserved it much more. If that happens in multiple conferences it completely ruins the NCAAT field

As you've alluded to it opens a giant can of worms if you allow teams to skip their conference tournaments with no repercussions in terms of losing NCAA tournament at-large bids and still give the auto-bid to the tournament winner.  You'd actually incentivize all teams that already have at-large bids locked up to skip & give their conferences a better chance at getting more NCAA bids.  Gonzaga & BYU skip so that an underserving 3rd WCC team makes it, Houston skips so a potentially undeserving AAC team makes it, Loyola skips so a potentially underserving MVC team makes it, all top teams in Power conferences skip so to ensure one of their conference's bubble teams make it, etc.

20 hours ago, Deutschkind said:

I thought I read that the A10 was setting up an agreement with all the schools that anyone that's likely to go to the tournament (aka SLU), must participate in the A10 tournament

Rothstein said on Twitter that failing to play in the conference tourney is a "major violation of membership". What that means, I have no idea. 

2 hours ago, JettFlight5 said:

Rothstein said on Twitter that failing to play in the conference tourney is a "major violation of membership". What that means, I have no idea. 

And what, if any, penalties are there if someone makes that "violation"

Could get messy

48 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

NCAA needs to make a rule that if a conference's top seeded team skips the tournament, then that conference doesn't get an automatic bid.

I think the team should get a knock with seeding more than the conference getting penalized.  The conference would want that top team in for revenue, not exactly their fault. 

3 hours ago, wgstl said:

I think the team should get a knock with seeding more than the conference getting penalized.  The conference would want that top team in for revenue, not exactly their fault. 

But it would cause conferences to pressure those teams to play.

Bills down 16 spots to 48.  VCU down only 4 spots to 35 after a home loss to GMU.  Doesn’t make a whole lot of sense to me.  I suppose because we weren’t competitive?

Glass half full - our win could be more impressive since VCU hasn’t slipped in the rankings 

35 minutes ago, BilliesBy40 said:

That’s right. Scoring margin is important in the NET calculation. OT games are capped at a -/+ 1 scoring margin. Regulation games can have a -/+ of up to 10 points (anything beyond that is irrelevant).

I think they got rid of the scoring margin element to NET prior to this season - https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2020-05-12/net-explained-ncaa-adopts-new-college-basketball-ranking-replace-rpi

3 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

Scoring margin is effectively captured in the efficiency component of the NET tool.  

Littlebill likes this

We are up to 44 NET after beating the Spiders.  That's better, but still not anywhere near a lock. 

One small * on the NET.  Colgate is sitting at 11.  I doubt that even Colgate Raiders faithful think they have an At Large bid locked up.  They need to win the Patriot to get in. 

Fraz likes this

3 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

We are up to 44 NET after beating the Spiders.  That's better, but still not anywhere near a lock. 

One small * on the NET.  Colgate is sitting at 11.  I doubt that even Colgate Raiders faithful think they have an At Large bid locked up.  They need to win the Patriot to get in. 

A nice bump and squarely on the bubble.   I will say I hate being within a few spots of UNC, Duke, Lville, etc because we know what will happen

billiken_roy likes this

11 minutes ago, Fraz said:

A nice bump and squarely on the bubble.   I will say I hate being within a few spots of UNC, Duke, Lville, etc because we know what will happen

Yeah all of the P6 tourney's give teams chances at Q1 games.  We have 2 possible Q1 tourney games with VCU and St. B.  I will assume, that if we play VCU at their house, it would be an Away game for us and not a Neutral site game.  (Will the A10 flip VCU and Richmond games to NOT let them play on their home floor?)

43 SLU (up from 50) replaces new 50 Xavier (down from 48) in a pure NCAA NET field. 

New Last 4 IN: 46 Missouri, 47 Louisville, 48 Utah State, 49 Arizona. 

New First 4 OUT:  50 Xavier, 53 Seton Hall, 54 SMU, 55 Syracuse (52 Penn State at 8-13, 5-12 Big Ten is not considered).

Next 4 OUT:  57 Indiana, 58 Duke, 59 Memphis, 60 Ole Miss. 

51 UC Santa Barbara (Big West) and 56 Toledo (MAC) are assumed to be NCAA Automatic Bids.