2020-2021 NCAA Net Rankings

courtside

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

16 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-I don't know if at this point we are the 12th best team, but I'll sure take the love/respect/good press

There are some pretty wonky rankings in there. #14 Colorado (7-3 losing 2 of their last 3), #16 Colgate (1-1 with a win and loss against Army), #20 Drake (10-0 but hasn't played anyone in Quad 1 or 2). I'm sure those outliers will get ironed out as more games are played. And we're certainly far more deserving of our #12 starting spot than they are.

Although insignificant in win/loss, I think our fight to not lose by double digits to Minnesota may be an underrated/under discussed reason for how we got to 12.  If we stop fouling/fighting and lose by 10+ like it looked like was going to happen and I don’t think the algorithms get us this high.  And obviously the big win margin as opposed to the to close for comfort wins we’re used to. 

Quality Is Job 1 likes this

6 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Honestly I find it amazing that we are currently ranked 11th given how our opponents have done in the last seven days.

A few factors at play. LSU (19), Minnesota (31), and NC State (33) have maintained respectable NET rankings. These teams will likely stay high throughout the year since their schedules are littered with strong teams and they get some notable wins along the way. It also helps that we maximized our wins against lower ranked teams by winning by 10+. As Al Davis would say, "just win, baby!", but even better if we can do so by 10+ points.

almaman likes this

27 minutes ago, BilliesBy40 said:

A few factors at play. LSU (19), Minnesota (31), and NC State (33) have maintained respectable NET rankings. These teams will likely stay high throughout the year since their schedules are littered with strong teams and they get some notable wins along the way. It also helps that we maximized our wins against lower ranked teams by winning by 10+. As Al Davis would say, "just win, baby!", but even better if we can do so by 10+ points.

Right but even with those 3(and I know good losses are a thing) LSU lost on Saturday, then beat a #89 UGA in OT at home.  Minnesota went 1-1(good comp) and NC state went 0-1 in the last week.

Meanwhile central Arkansas struggled to beat a 1-9 NO team at home 83-79 last night, and Indiana state lost both games this weak to MO state.

With all that, I know we wouldn't fall out of top 25, but to still remain that high, and only slide one spot is what im surprised about. 

2 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Right but even with those 3(and I know good losses are a thing) LSU lost on Saturday, then beat a #89 UGA in OT at home.  Minnesota went 1-1(good comp) and NC state went 0-1 in the last week.

Meanwhile central Arkansas struggled to beat a 1-9 NO team at home 83-79 last night, and Indiana state lost both games this weak to MO state.

With all that, I know we wouldn't fall out of top 25, but to still remain that high, and only slide one spot is what im surprised about. 

The losses by LSU, Minnesota, and NC State were all to teams with top 25 NET rankings at the time (Florida, who LSU lost to, dropped to 30 after losing last night).

1 minute ago, BilliesBy40 said:

The losses by LSU, Minnesota, and NC State were all to teams with top 25 NET rankings at the time (Florida, who LSU lost to, dropped to 30 after losing last night).

But LSU struggling to beat a bad team at home hurts them. And I know those other games were against good teams, but they were still losses.  Also you have to add in what teams like central Arkansas and more importantly Indiana state are doing.  Indiana state is 0-4 since xmas

30 minutes ago, wgstl said:

But LSU struggling to beat a bad team at home hurts them. And I know those other games were against good teams, but they were still losses.  Also you have to add in what teams like central Arkansas and more importantly Indiana state are doing.  Indiana state is 0-4 since xmas

Central Arkansas won two games in the last week when they only had one win before that.  Minnesota's loss to a top 5 team actually improved their ranking.  LSU's win over a top 100 team was better than the Columbians losing badly to top 100 Mississippi State and Texas Tech winning over top 200 Kansas St.  Indiana State lost twice to a top 20 team back in late December which probably improved their ranking at the time.

LSU's buttstomp last night has to be the main reason SLU has slipped to 17 NET.  Our LSU win now borders at the Q1/Q2 line.  We need LSU to get on a win streak.  They go to Kentucky (NET 94) this weekend, and we really need the Wildcats to continue their losing pattern.  LSU's following game is at Texas A&M (NET 127).   

The NC State win is hanging in as Q2, with by an NET margin of 3.  Indiana State remains a Q3 win, with no possibility of seeing the Q2 line, and hopefully not falling to Q4.  Our four Q4 wins are buried in Quadrant 4.