Official SLU News: Men’s Basketball Pauses Team Activities

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Littlebill said:

Goodwin, Collins, and French have all been shooting around this whole time. If we have those three, I'd be willing to take on anyone in our conference

I hadn't seen French, that's good.  Also with that is THJ and GJ. 

Just now, Littlebill said:

That would be the best starting five in the league

Idk if Jimmy Bells foot was doing better, but I have a feeling we wont even see Bell for a while.  With his size, I feel bad about his conditioning right now.  And on a lighter note, same with Fred.  Dude cant catch a break. 

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

Have we been the hardest hit team in the nation? It sure seems like we are. 

If you measure hardest hit at # of games lost, then probably not.

SLU has played 8 games to date.  Not counting the Ivy League and a few other schools who haven't played any games there are still a bunch of schools who have played fewer games than SLU.  Some of them (ex Alabama A&M 3-0 and Siena 6-0) skipped nonconference play entirely so I'm not sure if that was by choice or because of COVID.

In the A10 alone the following teams have played 8 or fewer games to date:

Fordham - 6

Bona - 7

SLU, St Joes, Duq - 8

One thing I do not like is that there are currently no highly ranked teams that have played fewer than SLU.  Bona at 59 is the next highest ranked team on KenPom after SLU to have played 8 or fewer and the next after that is South Carolina at 66 who has played 7 games.  I know the selection committee theoretically won't punish teams for COVID pauses, but I'll believe that applies to non-Power conference teams when I see it.

billiken_roy and Pistol like this

17 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

If you measure hardest hit at # of games lost, then probably not.

SLU has played 8 games to date.  Not counting the Ivy League and a few other schools who haven't played any games there are still a bunch of schools who have played fewer games than SLU.  Some of them (ex Alabama A&M 3-0 and Siena 6-0) skipped nonconference play entirely so I'm not sure if that was by choice or because of COVID.

In the A10 alone the following teams have played 8 or fewer games to date:

Fordham - 6

Bona - 7

SLU, St Joes, Duq - 8

One thing I do not like is that there are currently no highly ranked teams that have played fewer than SLU.  Bona at 59 is the next highest ranked team on KenPom after SLU to have played 8 or fewer and the next after that is South Carolina at 66 who has played 7 games.  I know the selection committee theoretically won't punish teams for COVID pauses, but I'll believe that applies to non-Power conference teams when I see it.

The difference between SLU and many of the other hard hit schools is that the other schools had been off, started back up, and then had another positive test result in another shut them down for another couple weeks. It's kind of like two separate shut-downs that happened to be close together. I can't think of any that have had one outbreak lead to a layoff of this magnitude (Dec 30 to Jan 26 at the best). Add in that it had been a week since we had played prior to the shut-down and Dec 23 - Jan 26 is just an enormous amount of time. 

Are the 4 players still testing, players who have been negative the entire time?  This doesn't say that these 4 are out, so hopefully they are in individual workouts.  Stu concludes 11 were positive.  11/16 = 68%, so I wonder the numbers included for 80%.  It's not important, but just wondering about the count.

17 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Are the 4 players still testing, players who have been negative the entire time?  This doesn't say that these 4 are out, so hopefully they are in individual workouts.  Stu concludes 11 were positive.  11/16 = 68%, so I wonder the numbers included for 80%.  It's not important, but just wondering about the count.

I think they're the ones who aren't cleared to play is my guess. Not the ones who have tested negative the entire time. I could be wrong though.

12 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

I'm pretty sure French has to test now that he is long past the 3 month window, unless he got it a second time (which is pretty unlikely). That would imply that 12 got it this time around. If you add French to the list that is 13 out of 16 which is 81%.

Obviously it's good that they have all had minor symptoms, but the other good news is that the 12 that just got it won't have to test again until the end of March when their 3 months are up. It means that the disaster scenario of one player or coach getting it while in Indianapolis for the NCAA tourney won't mean the whole team will have to quarantine. The 12 plus Ford will be free to keep playing and the other 4 (including French) will likely have to contact trace or follow any test out procedures that all other teams have to follow. 

brianstl and rgbilliken like this