Official SLU News: Men’s Basketball Pauses Team Activities

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

I consider myself a pretty optimistic person. But after 10 months of lockdown w/minimal social interaction and not being able to travel to visit family because of my age and a medical reason, I have to admit isolation takes a toll. When Billiken BB returned I finally had something to boost my spirits. And then Team Blue gets Covid and shuts it down for what seems like an eternity. I surely can't wait for the Bills to take to the court once more. I'm not down or depressed just fed up and frustrated with this infernal plague, as are most people in my age group. Some tips to get thru it:  happy hours on the phone with friends both old and new help, and listen to some good old 60s and 70s rock while sipping on the Glen Morangie. Music and single malt scotch are great medicines. Soon I'll be getting back on the golf course, so I have that to look forward to. Also, I was able today to secure appts for my Covid shots. Still, there's nothing like watching this edition of Billiken BB to really take one's mind off the tragedies that are taking place in the outside world. Let's go Bills! Come back strong and show the A10 what a great team looks like. God bless all, mask up, thank God every day you wake up, and stay safe. We will beat this thing. 

Which one do you like.  My favorite is the Lasanta

On 1/18/2021 at 11:23 AM, slu72 said:

I consider myself a pretty optimistic person. But after 10 months of lockdown w/minimal social interaction and not being able to travel to visit family because of my age and a medical reason, I have to admit isolation takes a toll. When Billiken BB returned I finally had something to boost my spirits. And then Team Blue gets Covid and shuts it down for what seems like an eternity. I surely can't wait for the Bills to take to the court once more. I'm not down or depressed just fed up and frustrated with this infernal plague, as are most people in my age group. Some tips to get thru it:  happy hours on the phone with friends both old and new help, and listen to some good old 60s and 70s rock while sipping on the Glen Morangie. Music and single malt scotch are great medicines. Soon I'll be getting back on the golf course, so I have that to look forward to. Also, I was able today to secure appts for my Covid shots. Still, there's nothing like watching this edition of Billiken BB to really take one's mind off the tragedies that are taking place in the outside world. Let's go Bills! Come back strong and show the A10 what a great team looks like. God bless all, mask up, thank God every day you wake up, and stay safe. We will beat this thing. 

Thanks for this post, slu72! Here's hoping for some warmer winter days so you can get back out there on the golf course. Golf certainly preserved my sanity this past year. Since my wife does not play I made sure to spread it out so she wouldn't start to resent my mini vacations. It's the perfect sport to play during a pandemic so I never felt like I was doing something I wasn't supposed to be doing. 4 hours away from the kids, along with a few (9) beers, was just the medicine I needed. 

Not a big fan of scotch but I want to try this Glen Morangie...

2 hours ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Thanks for this post, slu72! Here's hoping for some warmer winter days so you can get back out there on the golf course. Golf certainly preserved my sanity this past year. Since my wife does not play I made sure to spread it out so she wouldn't start to resent my mini vacations. It's the perfect sport to play during a pandemic so I never felt like I was doing something I wasn't supposed to be doing. 4 hours away from the kids, along with a few (9) beers, was just the medicine I needed. 

Not a big fan of scotch but I want to try this Glen Morangie...

If your willing to play in low 50s temps you can still get out once or twice a week in STL

I know we're all frustrated that the team has been on pause for an extended period of time, but I'm really proud of the University for making the players health the #1 most important thing and not just generating profit from the team.  I have not read about any other schools undertaking these efforts to track & measure the health of their athletes as the return from COVID.

Pistol and HoosierPal like this

Just now, RUBillsFan said:

I know we're all frustrated that the team has been on pause for an extended period of time, but I'm really proud of the University for making the players health the #1 most important thing and not just generating profit from the team.  I have not read about any other schools undertaking these efforts to track & measure the health of their athletes as the return from COVID.

Agreed, but iirc Ford mentioned st Louis has an additional rule in place that I’m fairly sure isn’t anywhere else, something like an additional 7 days after quarantine 

We are all expecting the team to be as good as advertised if and when they resume competition.   I am running out of optimism on this issue. 

While other teams are playing games, improving, and getting in increasingly good game shape our players are being told that they are not allowed to overexert themselves in practice and are significantly behind in number of games played so far this season.   It may take a few games to get back into form - our ranking and our national profile might take a hit as a result. 

SLU_Lax and billiken_roy like this

18 minutes ago, SLUMS81 said:

We are all expecting the team to be as good as advertised if and when they resume competition.   I am running out of optimism on this issue. 

While other teams are playing games, improving, and getting in increasingly good game shape our players are being told that they are not allowed to overexert themselves in practice and are significantly behind in number of games played so far this season.   It may take a few games to get back into form - our ranking and our national profile might take a hit as a result. 

My expectation is that it will take 2-3 games to regain their prior form.  Because practically every team coming off a pause has needed that much time to knock off the rust.  If we go 2-1 in our first three games back that would be a major accomplishment.

4 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

My expectation is that it will take 2-3 games to regain their prior form.  Because practically every team coming off a pause has needed that much time to knock off the rust.  If we go 2-1 in our first three games back that would be a major accomplishment.

-all of this but especially the last part 

12 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

2-1 vs Dayton at home, Richmond on the road and GW on the road is a major accomplishment? Come on now. Richmond is a toss up but the other two simply have to be wins. 

We’ve had a bunch of guys back for a week now and they’ll have 3-4 days of full team practices before the Dayton game. 

2 minutes ago, kshoe said:

2-1 vs Dayton at home, Richmond on the road and GW on the road is a major accomplishment? Come on now. Richmond is a toss up but the other two simply have to be wins. 

We’ve had a bunch of guys back for a week now and they’ll have 3-4 days of full team practices before the Dayton game. 

I expect we'll have a rescheduled game prior to the GW game.  Dayton without a COVID pause is a win.  Dayton after a COVID pause is a toss-up.  I've seen too many good teams struggle in their first game back.

7 minutes ago, mrjoelabs said:

Are we even back for Dayton?  Ford seems to think its gonna be a while...

Ford has been hinting through the media we will play the Dayton game. Honestly, there is no reason a team should have to go an entire month between games when all of the symptoms of the players have been described as minor.

billiken_roy likes this

24 minutes ago, kshoe said:

Ford has been hinting through the media we will play the Dayton game. Honestly, there is no reason a team should have to go an entire month between games when all of the symptoms of the players have been described as minor.

Yea but then last night on his show he says "not close" to playing.  Nova stopped the same day we did. They came back tonight, looked sluggish, barely beat Seton Hall. 

8 hours ago, mrjoelabs said:

Yea but then last night on his show he says "not close" to playing.  Nova stopped the same day we did. They came back tonight, looked sluggish, barely beat Seton Hall. 

I mean Technically we’re not close to playing, we were seven days and two Missed games away when he said that.  . 

We will not get back up on the horse just like that when we resume playing.  It is silly to assume such a thing.  I'd much rather come back and play Dayton then to pick up again and try to play Bonaventure and/or Umass.  All these teams have been playing games and are in much better positions than we are.  This is going to be like the OOC all over again ... remember those nights we'd sweat our arses off trying to put away NE Directional State U?  I think that is what we're looking at here.  In late January no less.  I have watched a lot of (bad0 A10 basketball what with the Bills down and out and the teams that seem to be currently at or near the A10 top are the team with enough returning veteran leadership to weather the storms.  That means, to me, Dayton, Richmond, Bonaventure and Davidson.  Both Umass and Rhode will be tough but i don't see them as solid as the others due to inexperience ---- Russell and Mitchell can only do so much.  VCU is too young and too reliant on Hyland right now.  Everyone else, despite being able to rise up on a given night and win, are down right bad and sinking.  Mason.  La Salle.  St. Joes.  Fordham.  Geedubya.  And really Duquesne.  

I am expecting a difficult return no doubt.  Here's hoping there will be no real upsets to deal with as well.  But we don't know.

44 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

-I'm not a fan of this continued use of "80% of the roster" tested positive, what is the harm in telling us the actual number of positives of players, coaches and staff? not asking for names, just the number

-if we have players that can't get through 15 minutes of individual work followed by 15 minutes of stationary bike and others getting dizzy that concerns me going into a game

9 hours ago, mrjoelabs said:

Seton Hall would probably be the second best team in our conference. It isn't totally surprising that game was close