Official SLU News: Men’s Basketball Pauses Team Activities

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, HenryB said:

Lol...since when does voting make any difference in this country??

I guess I’m trying to understand what you’re angry at me for? I haven’t even made a political comment. I’m going to stop replying now. 

59 minutes ago, hmart23 said:

Dude are you okay?

I’m doing just fine... I just pointed out i that I don’t enjoy reading about Trump hate and vile language on a BASKETBALL BOARD... do you????? There are scores of political based message boards that I could refer you to if you need help. If the moderators intend to turn this board into a bastion of liberal talking points, then they are well on their way to success....

bauman likes this

31 minutes ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

I’m doing just fine... I just pointed out i that I don’t enjoy reading about Trump hate and vile language on a BASKETBALL BOARD... do you????? There are scores of political based message boards that I could refer you to if you need help. If the moderators intend to turn this board into a bastion of liberal talking points, then they are well on their way to success....

Private messages sent to you and @HenryB 

not trying to fight on a basketball message board about politics. 

RUBillsFan likes this

I follow the Billikens for basketball and Notre Dame for football (because SLU doesn't have a football team).  ND has a fan website just like this one for Billiken fans.  The ND website though has several forums.  One is for the football program.  Another is the "Open Forum" for fans who want to talk about other, non-football topics.  The moderators of that website (and those who post) do a great job of keeping the topics separate.  You want to talk politics or make a political comment - take it to the Open Forum.

Billikens.com would be well served to create separate forums for Billikens sports discussion and for "open" discussions topics.  

But I'm not the moderator, so just sharing one approach.

18 minutes ago, Wendelprof said:

Billikens.com would be well served to create separate forums for Billikens sports discussion and for "open" discussions topics.  

Many moons ago there was an off topic forum. It just ended up bleeding over to bickering on the main forum though. So it went away. If I remember correctly. 

billiken_roy likes this

3 hours ago, HenryB said:

Sounds like a good suggestion to me. I do find it interesting, though, which messages you bad post and which ones you don't. 

Quality is Job 1 -  So the guy who wants the nonsense to stop pours fuel on the fire by giving me a bad post for AGREEING WITH HIM???  Did  I strike a nerve by noting you have an interesting pattern of reactions??🤣🤣🤣.  Your plea for the nonsense to stop is about as convincing as a democrat asking for unity as we are marched off to deprogramming camp 🤣🤣

1 hour ago, brianstl said:

I don’t know why anyone gives a shite about the politics of anyone else on the board.  When I have high fived other season ticket holders in my section, I didn’t ask them to show me a picture of their ballot first.  They are Billiken fans and that is good enough for me.  

No matter our politics we all share the love of our Billikens.

At times I have been triggered by some political cheap shots that posters who have no respect for Steve have posted but I quickly remember my respect for Steve and our common bond of Billikens basketball.

I am sure my political views are different than a lot of my favorite posters and like Brian said the fans I high five and sing sweet Caroline with after a win.

Lets get the party started again.

brianstl and TheChosenOne like this

1 hour ago, Wendelprof said:

I follow the Billikens for basketball and Notre Dame for football (because SLU doesn't have a football team).  ND has a fan website just like this one for Billiken fans.  The ND website though has several forums.  One is for the football program.  Another is the "Open Forum" for fans who want to talk about other, non-football topics.  The moderators of that website (and those who post) do a great job of keeping the topics separate.  You want to talk politics or make a political comment - take it to the Open Forum.

But I'm not the moderator, so just sharing one approach.

A Open Forum was tried about 2 decades ago. It was a disaster. We were at each others throats. Steve had to shut it down. 

AlumniFan likes this

-using UVA as an example, they went into Q on Dec 9, resumed practice Dec 19, so 10 days shutdown, played a not good Wm & Mary on Dec 22, so 13 days from into Q to playing and 3 days of practice, then on Dec 26 played Gonz and lost by 23, they had to travel to Dallas to play, I watched the Gonz game and UVA was crushed, not sure how much of this was Covid and how much was Gonz playing great but my point is the timing

-on Saturday UVA played a ranked Clemson that went into Q on Jan 8, had a 5 day shutdown, played 3 days after resuming practice and got crushed by 35 and their coach said among other things they looked 2 steps slow, confused, dazed, again a 5 day shutdown

-the above are on semester break, the Spring semester at SLU begins Jan 28 so we don't have classes to deal with, yet

-we went into Q on Dec 30, if Frank is correct and listening to CFord this morning talk about the protocols  Frank might be correct, we will hold practice on Jan 22, that is 23 days shutdown,---- where according to CFord our guys have spent 7-10 days in a room, no hoop to shoot, no ball to dribble, no place to run,------ if we play SVU on the 26th that would give us 4 days to practice after being shutdown for 23 to prepare for a game, I understand individual workouts are happening and I hope those are real safe but real intense

-all this being said, I understand a lot more clearly CFord's comments about resuming playing games 

-most important though, Mama Hargrove and all get healthy

8 hours ago, ARon said:

Look for the A10 to try and schedule another game at Chaifetz between SLU and GW or Davidson  on Feb 3. LaSalle would also be possible.

I was surprised to see that the A10 lists (only) 8 conference games being postponed through today.  Five of those 8 are ours, with our UMass game and our St. Bonnie game to be added to the total this week. 

https://atlantic10.com/calendar.aspx?path=mbball

51 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Get well, Mrs Hargrove. At least you're smiling, so that' a good sign. 

My aunt, in her 70s, suffered from pneumonia and had tested positive for COVID-19 a few months ago.  Most people fight to beat this thing, just like any other illness, but some succumb.  When it's your time, it's your time.  I pray for the eradication of this contagion.  And it WILL happen; it's just a matter of time.  In the meantime, we have to keep our spirits up, because mental illness and depression can be just as devastating, if not more so.

RUBillsFan, bauman and slu72 like this