Official SLU News: Men’s Basketball Pauses Team Activities

Just now, HenryB said:

Take a deep breath and count to ten. Like I said...sure glad no one has negative opinions of people because of their association with Trump.   Why does that enrage you?🤔

What do you think about Kalish's new goalie?  Do you think he is a Republican or Democrat?

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

20 hours ago, Minerva N. Owl said:

Dana O'Neill, the author of the article in the Athletic, has a significant reputation as a national sports writer. This is not a case where we need "to be careful of sourcing" or "journalistic integrity".  She is a senior writer with the Athletic, as is Ken Pomeroy. She was previously a writer for ESPN, and she wrote the book on Villanova's 2016 NCAA Championship run. The questions to be asking are not "Can we trust her?" or "Is this second-hand leaked information?", but "Why did Coach Ford wait to reveal the number of players who had the virus until now?"

I have no special insight, but given that so many SLU players and others in the program had the virus, it's quite sensible both to protect privacy and to wait until it seems clear that the worst is behind. In a sense, it's pretty amazing that the extent of the spread was kept quiet, given that many people must have had some awareness of this outbreak's extent.

It seems sensible for Coach Ford to release the details to a national writer rather than to a local reporter. After all, the point of the article in the Athletic is to answer this question:  "How can two really good teams maneuver month-long layoffs?"  The article answers that question with a deep dive into the basketball programs at Villanova and SLU.

Rather than quibbling about why local reporters didn't break this story, it's probably better to enjoy the national attention: SLU now is being treated by national writers as a "really good team" similar to Villanova. Getting the story out in this way might be part of what helps come March at selection time. And this seems more important than earlier complaints about a lack of details regarding who had the virus or when, especially before the seriousness of the symptoms were known.  It seems reasonable to think that the information was given to Dana O'Neill in a rather intentional way, and that the main audience is not merely readers of this blog, but March voters.

Thank you for this insight. Troy McClure could've broken the story for all I care. It's nice to get an update and glad everyone is recovering. 

I think it's safe to say that every player on our team has now had COVID. With this big of an outbreak I just don't see how 4 players managed to avoid it unless they had previously been exposed.

Stating the obvious here but barring an absolute meltdown we are making the tourney this year.  With all of the national writers  hopping on the SLU train this national attention is obviously a big boost to our rep that I think we can afford a bad loss or two. As long as we can avoid an 8/9 seed I don't really care what seed we are.  This team is built for the tournament. 

3 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Thank you for this insight. Troy McClure could've broken the story for all I care. It's nice to get an update and glad everyone is recovering. 

I think it's safe to say that every player on our team has now had COVID. With this big of an outbreak I just don't see how 4 players managed to avoid it unless they had previously been exposed.

Stating the obvious here but barring an absolute meltdown we are making the tourney this year.  With all of the national writers  hopping on the SLU train this national attention is obviously a big boost to our rep that I think we can afford a bad loss or two. As long as we can avoid an 8/9 seed I don't really care what seed we are.  This team is built for the tournament. 

Myy thoughts exactly. As long as this team is able to play 5 league games to get us to the 13 needed for the NCAAs, we already have a tournament resume.

12 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

It was industrial engineering but we were never a lock. 

Matt Painter was the lead recruiter for Shaw when he was an assistant and his main priority once he got the head job.  Painter went after Shaw like Brad went after Lisch.  The only way Brad could have beaten Painter to the punch was by offering 9 months earlier than we did.  I was the biggest proponent of offering Shaw and even I thought that was too early.

---------

https://dailyegyptian.com/27577/archives/centralia-star-shaw-expected-to-sign-with-siu-today/

Once he gets to Carbondale, he wants to win a conference championship, and he’s leaning toward an industrial engineering major.

4 hours ago, TheChosenOne said:

He was one we really needed. Country strong with bounce. Reading the article it certainly sounded like he liked a lot of things about SIU and had some key relationships there. I just recall being around the program that was one we thought we were close to landing and attributed missing him to the major, I should not have said locked up. That article does give credence to us finishing 2nd.

Industrial engineering, that was it. I don't know how long he stuck with it but I'm guessing switching programs is the reason he didn't finish up his degree in four years and came back five years later to wrap it up. I remember Matt Baniak coming into SLU saying he was pre-med and ending up a psychology major who didn't go to med school (although he has worked in the medical field his entire career and appears to have done really well, to be fair). Being a college athlete is a full-time job. Some guys bite off more than they - or almost anyone - can chew.

32 minutes ago, HenryB said:

Take a deep breath and count to ten. Like I said...sure glad no one has negative opinions of people because of their association with Trump.   Why does that enrage you?🤔

If you took my post as being enraged, I'm apologize.  I am not enraged nor did I intend for it to come off as such.

Your original post seemed to indicate you think it is wrong for people to form an opinion of someone's non-political professional ability based on their having a photo taken with Trump and I am agreeing with you.

Basing your opinion of someone's non-political professional ability solely on their politics is nutty regardless of what political beliefs you think they have.  I'm going to assume based on your assertions that you agree with this and that you would, therefore, also agree Roy's post about Dana O'Neill was wrong.

dlarry and BuiltFordBills like this

When they're talking about 4 players not having it does that mean as part of this current wave or in general? Because we know French got it back in the spring of 2020, for example. That might mean 3 other guys had it earlier or just happen to be really lucky.

40 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

What do you think about Kalish's new goalie?  Do you think he is a Republican or Democrat?

Haven't seen him play...your opinion is a lot more informed than mine. I have absolutely no idea of his political affiliation. Do you know what it is?  What party are you identified with? I hope he is a good student and citizen and reflects the stated Christian values of SLU. 

HoosierPal likes this

6 minutes ago, Pistol said:

When they're talking about 4 players not having it does that mean as part of this current wave or in general? Because we know French got it back in the spring of 2020, for example. That might mean 3 other guys had it earlier or just happen to be really lucky.

I'm assuming it means that 4 players have not had it yet in general and he's not just talking about the current wave.  IMO Ford has no incentive to downplay the severity of the current outbreak, right?  I assume you put that story out there in the national media to get some sympathy from the selection committee for missing these games & for potentially starting slow when you come back.

27 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

If you took my post as being enraged, I'm apologize.  I am not enraged nor did I intend for it to come off as such.

Your original post seemed to indicate you think it is wrong for people to form an opinion of someone's non-political professional ability based on their having a photo taken with Trump and I am agreeing with you.

Basing your opinion of someone's non-political professional ability solely on their politics is nutty regardless of what political beliefs you think they have.  I'm going to assume based on your assertions that you agree with this and that you would, therefore, also agree Roy's post about Dana O'Neill was wrong.

The double standard has gone on for four years, glad that you are admitting it. 

billiken_roy likes this

18 hours ago, RUBillsFan said:

I get it.  I assume (hope?) he was trying to make a very bad joke.  I think we all get at this point that @billiken_roy doesn't like Biden or could make that guess pretty easily.

1. Just because Dana O'Neill has a picture with Biden doesn't necessary mean she agrees with his politics.  If I had a chance to get a picture with any president, you can be damn sure I would do so regardless of which party they belonged to.  Average dudes (or ladies) off the street do not get that opportunity.

2. Even if she is does agree with Biden's politics, I'm not sure how / why one would decide that means you cannot take her seriously as a college basketball writer.  I mean if you're willing to totally dismiss someone's non-politics related professional ability because of their politics, how far are you willing to take that?  Let's say you walk into your world renowned oncologist's office and notice a photo of him with like Tammy Duckworth or something.  Do you walk out instead of getting life saving cancer treatment?  That's insane.

To me this is these are fairly mundane takes and perhaps not worth the pixel space on here.  I just feel like I need to call out crazy polarization.

fyi, my oncologist is a hardcore conservative and has a picture of President Trump in his office.  btw, had a visit this morning at slu and all is going well.   no signs of anything returning.   so you all will have to put up with me for awhile yet.  when things turn, i will be sure to let you know so you all can start planning your victory party. 

this was my opinion that i wanted nothing to do with o'neill after seeing her with sleepy.   if you go back and look i said, "enough for me."   i did not tell or advise anyone else how to treat her.   that is my belief.   i should be entitled to that.   I know that after this past week and the horrible reaction by a few extremes last wednesday afternoon that should be treated with as much punishment as our courts can dish out for those nutjobs, the left now wants to put us conservatives in a camp to deprogram us make our children go to schools to be reindoctrinated, but you are upset i dont want nothing to do with sleepy.   come back and talk to me in 4 years about it.   funny though, after an entire summer of the left extremes tearing up and destroying some america's most beautiful cities, very little was ever said.   in fact sleepy and his vp to be even endorsed raising bail money for the few that were arrested. seems a little hypocritical.   whatever, at this point, as long as they stay out of my yard, i dont care anymore. 

dennis_w, HenryB, JMM28 and 1 other like this

3 minutes ago, AGB91 said:

he looks like a Libertarian to me. 😉

I heard he has a Justin Amash poster in his dorm room. Are dorm rooms still at thing these days? Or are all of these kids now living in fancy townhomes that look like the Jetson's house?

21 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

fyi, my oncologist is a hardcore conservative and has a picture of President Trump in his office.  btw, had a visit this morning at slu and all is going well.   no signs of anything returning.   so you all will have to put up with me for awhile yet.  when things turn, i will be sure to let you know so you all can start planning your victory party. 

this was my opinion that i wanted nothing to do with o'neill after seeing her with sleepy.   if you go back and look i said, "enough for me."   i did not tell or advise anyone else how to treat her.   that is my belief.   i should be entitled to that.   I know that after this past week and the horrible reaction by a few extremes last wednesday afternoon that should be treated with as much punishment as our courts can dish out for those nutjobs, the left now wants to put us conservatives in a camp to deprogram us make our children go to schools to be reindoctrinated, but you are upset i dont want nothing to do with sleepy.   come back and talk to me in 4 years about it.   funny though, after an entire summer of the left extremes tearing up and destroying some america's most beautiful cities, very little was ever said.   in fact sleepy and his vp to be even endorsed raising bail money for the few that were arrested. seems a little hypocritical.   whatever, at this point, as long as they stay out of my yard, i dont care anymore. 

Sleepy says it all dopey

JGR6396 and TaLBErt like this

3 minutes ago, TaLBErt said:

Move on from the politics you chuckleheads... Jiminy crickets!

Noted.  I do not think it is political to say you shouldn't dismiss someone because there happens to be a photo of them with Biden (or Trump for that matter) on the internet.  I do also think the topic at least tangentially relates to SLU since the article in question that Roy is dismissing is about SLU.  However, I am going to take my discussion with Roy to PMs so others don't have to suffer through it. 

And yes I do realize that I'm pretty much beating a dead horse at this point.

Littlebill and dlarry like this

2 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Democrat or Republican I think we can all agree that you don't need to ask if anyone knows when the Billikens will return because I can guarantee as soon as someone knows it will be posted here without prompting.

What else are we supposed to do while the Billikens are on pause?  We're like children on a long car ride.  Are we there yet?  Are we there yet?

CBFan and Quality Is Job 1 like this

43 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

Noted.  I do not think it is political to say you shouldn't dismiss someone because there happens to be a photo of them with Biden (or Trump for that matter) on the internet.  

It’s not political it’s common sense.

That said I’m ready for some basketball!!

RUBillsFan likes this

You can get a picture w/ me for $20.00. 

Available add ons

I look sleepy $15.65

I grope you $227.00 (this fee can possibly be reduced depending on the gropee)

Autograph $55.00

with guns $81.72

Nude $.65

This service will be very popular so please get your order in quickly. This is for a limited time only

7 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

You can get a picture w/ me for $20.00. 

Available add ons

I look sleepy $15.65

I grope you $227.00 (this fee can possibly be reduced depending on the gropee)

Autograph $55.00

with guns $81.72

Nude $.65

This service will be very popular so please get your order in quickly. This is for a limited time only

If we find out any college basketball writers have taken Skip up on his $.65 offer, it is totally fair to question / dismiss any articles that they produce.  🤣

slufanskip likes this