Official SLU News: Men’s Basketball Pauses Team Activities

3 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

Are you trying to say that we shouldn't trust her as a sports journalist because she has taken a picture with Joe Biden?   I'm sorry, but WTF does that have to do with writing about men's basketball?

It means Roy does not care about her opinion because he apparently doesn't like Biden. WTF 4sure but he's not alone. doesn't surprise me he hates capitals.

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

46 minutes ago, almaman said:

It means Roy does not care about her opinion because he apparently doesn't like Biden. WTF 4sure but he's not alone. doesn't surprise me he hates capitals.

I get it.  I assume (hope?) he was trying to make a very bad joke.  I think we all get at this point that @billiken_roy doesn't like Biden or could make that guess pretty easily.

1. Just because Dana O'Neill has a picture with Biden doesn't necessary mean she agrees with his politics.  If I had a chance to get a picture with any president, you can be damn sure I would do so regardless of which party they belonged to.  Average dudes (or ladies) off the street do not get that opportunity.

2. Even if she is does agree with Biden's politics, I'm not sure how / why one would decide that means you cannot take her seriously as a college basketball writer.  I mean if you're willing to totally dismiss someone's non-politics related professional ability because of their politics, how far are you willing to take that?  Let's say you walk into your world renowned oncologist's office and notice a photo of him with like Tammy Duckworth or something.  Do you walk out instead of getting life saving cancer treatment?  That's insane.

To me this is these are fairly mundane takes and perhaps not worth the pixel space on here.  I just feel like I need to call out crazy polarization.

1 hour ago, davidnark said:

Wow. So 12 of the 16 players had it, Coach Ford, and possibly other coaches or staff. Plus, French had it earlier. At least there will be good immunity on the team during the postseason. 

They must have gone with the chicken pox approach. Make sure everyone gets it now so they don’t get it in March...Ford is a genius.

Bills By 40 likes this

Falker chose SIUC for an engineering program, not Shaw.

Shaw was definitely a case of waiting to offer.  It was SLU vs SIUC, as the Stanford offer was a preferred walk on spot.  SIUC offered way before us.  Soderberg hesitated and lost out.  There are multiple threads from that time period about it.

2 hours ago, thetorch said:

Falker chose SIUC for an engineering program, not Shaw.

Shaw was definitely a case of waiting to offer.  It was SLU vs SIUC, as the Stanford offer was a preferred walk on spot.  SIUC offered way before us.  Soderberg hesitated and lost out.  There are multiple threads from that time period about it.

Shaw was definitely the one Pistol and I would have been well aware of. Seemed like a lock had it not been for the specific engineering major that SLU did not offer, pretty sure it came down to us and SIU. And we were also there when Falker would have been coming out of Gateway and while I know we recruited him I candidly didn’t recall us offering him. I know we wanted Shaw bad though and had him on campus.

43 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

Shaw was definitely the one Pistol and I would have been well aware of. Seemed like a lock had it not been for the specific engineering major that SLU did not offer, pretty sure it came down to us and SIU. And we were also there when Falker would have been coming out of Gateway and while I know we recruited him I candidly didn’t recall us offering him. I know we wanted Shaw bad though and had him on campus.

Curious did the e major thing end up being what he pursued?

17 minutes ago, almaman said:

Curious did the e major thing end up being what he pursued?

I think Pistol found that he ended up returning and finishing up a history degree, so he didn’t even get the degree that was such a big deal in his recruitment. I just remember their squad at the time having some stud local guys who we largely did not offer and Shaw who we were so close to landing.

4 hours ago, RUBillsFan said:

I get it.  I assume (hope?) he was trying to make a very bad joke.  I think we all get at this point that @billiken_roy doesn't like Biden or could make that guess pretty easily.

1. Just because Dana O'Neill has a picture with Biden doesn't necessary mean she agrees with his politics.  If I had a chance to get a picture with any president, you can be damn sure I would do so regardless of which party they belonged to.  Average dudes (or ladies) off the street do not get that opportunity.

2. Even if she is does agree with Biden's politics, I'm not sure how / why one would decide that means you cannot take her seriously as a college basketball writer.  I mean if you're willing to totally dismiss someone's non-politics related professional ability because of their politics, how far are you willing to take that?  Let's say you walk into your world renowned oncologist's office and notice a photo of him with like Tammy Duckworth or something.  Do you walk out instead of getting life saving cancer treatment?  That's insane.

To me this is these are fairly mundane takes and perhaps not worth the pixel space on here.  I just feel like I need to call out crazy polarization.

Couple years ago my son and I were making a delivery to Mission Taco in CWE.  I looked over and saw a couple guys in suits and some black Suburbans.  I told my son there was someone important over there.  I got to looking around and saw Joe Biden sitting on a bench.  I told my son let’s see if you can get a picture with him.  I approached the secret  service and asked.  They said no.  Joe heard and stood up and said they are fine I can do a picture. He was very nice to my son (didn’t sniff him).  Talked to my son for a couple minutes and we moved on.  I don’t agree with his politics but he was the VP of the United States.  And now I have a picture of my son and I with the President.  When will I ever get to meet another one?   But like I said I don’t agree with his politics.

1 hour ago, TheChosenOne said:

It was industrial engineering but we were never a lock. 

Matt Painter was the lead recruiter for Shaw when he was an assistant and his main priority once he got the head job.  Painter went after Shaw like Brad went after Lisch.  The only way Brad could have beaten Painter to the punch was by offering 9 months earlier than we did.  I was the biggest proponent of offering Shaw and even I thought that was too early.

---------

https://dailyegyptian.com/27577/archives/centralia-star-shaw-expected-to-sign-with-siu-today/

Once he gets to Carbondale, he wants to win a conference championship, and he’s leaning toward an industrial engineering major.

59 minutes ago, brianstl said:

People on both sides need to get beyond thinking people are bad just because of their politics. It has never in my life been this bad when judging people on just how they vote.  Sure there are bad people on both sides, but the good people on both sides of the political divide far outweigh the bad.

Not to extend talk of politics, but I really wish it weren't just Democrats and Republicans.  There are other parties; they should be included in debates — people should have more choices about which they can become informed without gargantuan effort (and not feel like they're "wasting" a vote by not voting for a Democrat or Republican).

7 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

It was industrial engineering but we were never a lock. 

Matt Painter was the lead recruiter for Shaw when he was an assistant and his main priority once he got the head job.  Painter went after Shaw like Brad went after Lisch.  The only way Brad could have beaten Painter to the punch was by offering 9 months earlier than we did.  I was the biggest proponent of offering Shaw and even I thought that was too early.

---------

https://dailyegyptian.com/27577/archives/centralia-star-shaw-expected-to-sign-with-siu-today/

Once he gets to Carbondale, he wants to win a conference championship, and he’s leaning toward an industrial engineering major.

He was one we really needed. Country strong with bounce. Reading the article it certainly sounded like he liked a lot of things about SIU and had some key relationships there. I just recall being around the program that was one we thought we were close to landing and attributed missing him to the major, I should not have said locked up. That article does give credence to us finishing 2nd.

17 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

googled her and her second picture up is posed with sleepy creepy joe.  enough for me.  

Dana has been one of the premier writers on college basketball for years now. 
I’m sure it is upsetting to you to read someone say that about a woman. But neither her gender or who she takes photos with has any bearing on the quality of her work to anyone smart enough to read her.

RUBillsFan and majerus mojo like this

43 minutes ago, Billiken82 said:

Can somebody please tell me when we expect the team to get back on the court?

A few individual players were on court yesterday. Full team not expected until mid to late next week as some players are in various stages of quarantine and slow recovery protocol.

17 hours ago, RUBillsFan said:

Are you trying to say that we shouldn't trust her as a sports journalist because she has taken a picture with Joe Biden?   I'm sorry, but WTF does that have to do with writing about men's basketball?

Sure glad no one has negative opinions of people because of their association with Trump. 🙄

17 hours ago, davidnark said:

Wow. So 12 of the 16 players had it, Coach Ford, and possibly other coaches or staff. Plus, French had it earlier. At least there will be good immunity on the team during the postseason. 

I wouldn't assume that 12 of the 16 had it these last few weeks. The way it was written could mean that all but 4 of the players have had it at some point, including French and any others that may have had it during the summer.

While I think it's highly likely that those that had it last summer still have a high amount of immunity, the legal distinction of immunity ends after 3 months. This is critical because if someone else in the program tests positive between now and the end of March, those that tested positive in the last couple weeks would be able to continue to play. In theory we could still put a team on the court if 9 guys were in that group.

Those that tested positive last summer would still have to quarantine which puts us back in the same situation of not being able to field a team if there are a bunch in this camp. A really important number to know is of the players that have had COVID, how many got it in the recent go around and how many had it last year?

33 minutes ago, HenryB said:

Sure glad no one has negative opinions of people because of their association with Trump. 🙄

There are probably tens or even hundreds of thousands of people who have photos with Trump including a great many journalists of all types.  His background is a celebrity / reality TV star and he is currently president of the United States.  Those kind of people tend to take a sh*t ton of photos with random people.  If anyone is forming an opinion of someone's non-political professional ability solely based on them having a photo taken with Trump, they are just as nutty as Roy having a negative opinion of Dana O'Neill's sports journalism because of her photo with Biden.

Example - if you google Tom Brady & Donald Trump there are of photos of them together.  If anyone were question Brady's ability as a QB because he has a photo with Trump that would be insane.  You may say that you may disagree with Brady's politics, but to question his professional QB ability because of the photo is nuts.

This whataboutism serves to no purpose but to further the divide in our great Nation.

3 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

There are probably tens or even hundreds of thousands of people who have photos with Trump including a great many journalists of all types.  His background is a celebrity / reality TV star and he is currently president of the United States.  Those kind of people tend to take a sh*t ton of photos with random people.  If anyone is forming an opinion of someone's non-political professional ability solely based on them having a photo taken with Trump, they are just as nutty as Roy having a negative opinion of Dana O'Neill's sports journalism because of her photo with Biden.

Example - if you google Tom Brady & Donald Trump there are of photos of them together.  If anyone were question Brady's ability as a QB because he has a photo with Trump that would be insane.  You may say that you may disagree with Brady's politics, but to question his professional QB ability because of the photo is nuts.

This whataboutism serves to no purpose but to further the divide in our great Nation.

Take a deep breath and count to ten. Like I said...sure glad no one has negative opinions of people because of their association with Trump.   Why does that enrage you?🤔

billiken_roy likes this