Official SLU News: Men’s Basketball Pauses Team Activities

JGood hosted an Instagram live video from the practice gym, could confirm he and Yuri were in there but not only could I not identify anyone else, I'm not sure I even saw any other players. 

The interesting part was that they weren't wearing masks. Don't get me wrong, I don't think they work - but that they just came out of quarantine and half the team still hasn't done that would've led me to believe these guys would be walking around in hamster balls, wearing hazmat suits inside them and masks under those. Image

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, dennis_w said:

harrellson would have signed with slu in a heartbeat, but brad never offered him, showed no interest at all

The other player that comes to mind is Shaw, who went to SIUC . Brad held off as he wanted some other kid, who went to Mizzery and was later arrested on some gun charge. Can’t remember his name. Was it Kemp? 

2 hours ago, cheeseman said:

The issue was that Romar had offered Ahearn but when he left Soderberg took the offer back  Brad really didn’t want him so it wasn’t like he lost out he had him already. Poor judge of talent. 

When Soderberg got the job, Ahearn had just come back from a broken hand he suffered in the divisional playoffs and wasn't playing particularly well when he got back.  Soderberg went after Darren Clarke, who was playing very well and the more highly rated kid.  Clarke got injured prior to his senior season and was never the same after that.  That's the recruiting biz for you.

20 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

When Soderberg got the job, Ahearn had just come back from a broken hand he suffered in the divisional playoffs and wasn't playing particularly well when he got back.  Soderberg went after Darren Clarke, who was playing very well and the more highly rated kid.  Clarke got injured prior to his senior season and was never the same after that.  That's the recruiting biz for you.

Please use the proper nomenclature for recruits when referring to them. 

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

The other player that comes to mind is Shaw, who went to SIUC . Brad held off as he wanted some other kid, who went to Mizzery and was later arrested on some gun charge. Can’t remember his name. Was it Kemp? 

Actually we were one of the first schools to offer Shaw, the kid took three visits and decided to go with the best local mid-major at the time.  This wasn't an Ahearn situation.  The biggest issue in the Shaw recruitment was Brad was just an average salesman selling an average product. We needed an above average salesman.

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/matt-shaw-down-to-three-leaning-to-one

Small forward Matt Shaw out of Centralia High School (Ill.) is fresh off his first of three visits. The 6-foot-6, 218-pound Shaw spent the weekend on St. Louis’ campus and will spend the next two weekends at Stanford and Southern Illinois respectively.

2 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Actually we were one of the first schools to offer Shaw, the kid took three visits and decided to go with the best local mid-major at the time.  This wasn't an Ahearn situation.  The biggest issue in the Shaw recruitment was Brad was just an average salesman selling an average product. We needed an above average salesman.

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/matt-shaw-down-to-three-leaning-to-one

Small forward Matt Shaw out of Centralia High School (Ill.) is fresh off his first of three visits. The 6-foot-6, 218-pound Shaw spent the weekend on St. Louis’ campus and will spend the next two weekends at Stanford and Southern Illinois respectively.

You would know better than me. Can't believe he took SIUC over Stanford. I do recall he wanted engineering of one sort or another and SLU didn't offer the program he wanted. Still, Carbondale for Palo Alto? That's a head scratcher. And to Kshoe, we don't have any games to talk about I guess is why this thread went off the tracks a bit. 

One other negative to add, though, about the Plague. My grandson had it for about 10 days. Not real serious symptoms; some congestion, minor aches and pains, low grade fever. However, he did lose his senses of smell and taste, and they are still MIA. He's a hockey and baseball player, so he's in fairly good shape.  I doubt, however, he's as well conditioned as Team Blue, but the loss of smell and taste would suck. Hope he gets it back soon and the same for the Bills. It would be hell to go to Philadelphia and be unable to savor a Philly Cheese Steak. 

TheChosenOne likes this

We recruited Shaw hard. I met him on his visit. Soderberg really wanted him. The reason he gave at the time for choosing Carbondale over SLU was that SIUC offered an academic program SLU didn't have (some kind of engineering, if memory serves). Shaw played four years at SIUC but didn't graduate. He played overseas for five years, then came back to SIUC and spent a season as a manager while he got his degree - in history, a program SLU definitely has. Shaw has worked in the energy industry since he finished at SIUC in 2013, now working for an oil and gas company in Perth, Australia.

I've talked about Clarke and Ahearn here many times in the past and don't feel like telling the story again. It ended up being a miss but I don't blame the staff for backing off Blake at the time.

I also think Clarke had some potential even after his HS injury (he looked awesome at Midnight Madness heading into his freshman year) and his issues were mental/emotional. He didn't take even the slightest bit of adversity well. He didn't accomplish much on the court in his two years here, transferred to UTEP, and wound up playing one year there as a redshirt junior. He was arrested early in that season for assaulting his girlfriend. Nothing came of the charges and UTEP decided there wasn't enough to discipline him on, so he kept playing. When it happened, he was averaging over 10 PPG but ended up coming off the bench the rest of the year and scoring just over 7 PPG. He didn't come back for his last year.

3 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

what do you know about the athletic's ownership and writers credentials?   honestly asking i dont know.   seems like so much of what has exploded the last few years internetwise to me.   got to be careful of sourcing more and more these days as the days of journalistic integrity is long gone.  

A lot of the writers have come from other organizations such as Sports Illustrated and ESPN who've had layoffs. For CBB, Dana O'Neil, Eammon Brennan, Brian Bennett write for them. Ken Pomeroy does occasional articles. For other sports, they have Jayson Stark, Ken Rosenthal, Mike Sando, Michael Lombardi, Nicole Auerbach. I've found their articles to be informative in general. They have less inflammatory articles then other sites because they don't rely on clicks and ads, but by subscriptions

11 minutes ago, Deutschkind said:

A lot of the writers have come from other organizations such as Sports Illustrated and ESPN who've had layoffs. For CBB, Dana O'Neil, Eammon Brennan, Brian Bennett write for them. Ken Pomeroy does occasional articles. For other sports, they have Jayson Stark, Ken Rosenthal, Mike Sando, Michael Lombardi, Nicole Auerbach. I've found their articles to be informative in general. They have less inflammatory articles then other sites because they don't rely on clicks and ads, but by subscriptions

who wrote the article exposing the billiken virus situation?

1 minute ago, Speyburn said:

The writer is Dana O'Neil, she has previously worked for ESPN and Philadelphia Daily News. Her current tweet says A10 have decided not to hold conference finals at Barclay Center.

Beat me to it. I've read a lot from her and always well done

slufanskip likes this

1 minute ago, Minerva N. Owl said:

Dana O'Neill, the author of the article in the Athletic, has a significant reputation as a national sports writer. This is not a case where we need "to be careful of sourcing" or "journalistic integrity".  She is a senior writer with the Athletic, as is Ken Pomeroy. She was previously a writer for ESPN, and she wrote the book on Villanova's 2016 NCAA Championship run. The questions to be asking are not "Can we trust her?" or "Is this second-hand leaked information?", but "Why did Coach Ford wait to reveal the number of players who had the virus until now?"

I have no special insight, but given that so many SLU players and others in the program had the virus, it's quite sensible both to protect privacy and to wait until it seems clear that the worst is behind. In a sense, it's pretty amazing that the extent of the spread was kept quiet, given that many people must have had some awareness of this outbreak's extent.

It seems sensible for Coach Ford to release the details to a national writer rather than to a local reporter. After all, the point of the article in the Athletic is to answer this question:  "How can two really good teams maneuver month-long layoffs?"  The article answers that question with a deep dive into the basketball programs at Villanova and SLU.

Rather than quibbling about why local reporters didn't break this story, it's probably better to enjoy the national attention: SLU now is being treated by national writers as a "really good team" similar to Villanova. Getting the story out in this way might be part of what helps come March at selection time. And this seems more important than earlier complaints about a lack of details regarding who had the virus or when, especially before the seriousness of the symptoms were known.  It seems reasonable to think that the information was given to Dana O'Neill in a rather intentional way, and that the main audience is not merely readers of this blog, but March voters.

-much too reasonable a take for this board but I appreciate it, thank you

almaman likes this

57 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

googled her and her second picture up is posed with sleepy creepy joe.  enough for me.  

Are you trying to say that we shouldn't trust her as a sports journalist because she has taken a picture with Joe Biden?   I'm sorry, but WTF does that have to do with writing about men's basketball?