Official SLU News: Men’s Basketball Pauses Team Activities

38 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Here is some good news, per Stu, first group of players and coaches are OUT of QUARANTINE.

https://twitter.com/studurando/status/1349428127446028289?s=20

Does the Jan 12th news still hold, or does the Jan 13th news mean that the Jan 12th news may be happening even sooner?

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Frank and Rammer today:  Rammer said individuals that had no symptoms nor positive test, workouts start today.  He sees a way to play St. Bonnie with minimal practice, but for sure Dayton on the 26th.

Other comments from Rammer on SLU coaches recruiting:  Soderberg was too methodical, he could have had Ahearn, Stemler and Harrelson but Soderberg wanted to see them too many times, and didn't pull the trigger soon enough.

https://590thefan.com/radio-shows/press-box/

wgstl likes this

2 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Other comments from Rammer on SLU coaches recruiting:  Soderberg was too methodical, he could have had Ahearn, Stemler and Harrelson but Soderberg wanted to see them too many times, and didn't pull the trigger soon enough.

Nitpicking here but I can say with a lot of confidence that once Indiana entered the picture, SLU had no shot at Stemler. He is a relative of mine and I won't tell the full story but SLU did all they could with him.  Nothing illegal or anything like that from IU but he was taking the biggest offer he could get 

3 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Frank and Rammer today:  Rammer said individuals that had no symptoms nor positive test, workouts start today.  He sees a way to play St. Bonnie with minimal practice, but for sure Dayton on the 26th.

Soderberg caught a bad break by choosing Darren Clarke over Ahearn.  Clarke was lighting up the AAU circuit, including a 41 point outburst in the big event out in Vegas. Then he had a bad ankle injury prior to his senior season and never regained his explosiveness.

At the end of the day we were never going to sustain success recruiting to West Pine.  You have to be able to recruit good players outside the area, not just the mid-major kids in St. Louis who are interested in staying home.  Can you imagine if Chaifetz Arena was never built?  We might be La Salle right now.

MusicCityBilliken and AGB91 like this

7 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I don’t think the problem was that Brad waited too long to pull the trigger with Ahearn and Harrellson, but that he never bothered offering them at all.

harrellson would have signed with slu in a heartbeat, but brad never offered him, showed no interest at all

Stu was on 550 last night.  When asked why SLU's situation is taking longer than other teams, he said they had their first positives on Dec 30, then the week after they had one or more additional positives, as they were testing daily while in quarantine.  This put different quarantine lengths on players depending on when their symptoms went away, plus the 7 day slow progression back into activity after symptoms disappear, on various schedules.  He commented again that some players were in the gym with Coach Ford on Wednesday.

He did talk with the A10 Commish, and she said SLU is in good shape (as long as they don't go out again).  "There are 100 or more teams in the NCAA that have played 8 or less games, so SLU isn't the only team out on an island."

Stu on the A10:  VCU has put themself into a position to get a top 4 finish, Richmond will be fine, St.Bonnie will continue to be good, Dayton has slipped a little and not playing as good as people thought they would.  It remains to be seen how SLU will compete after this long layoff, but should be competing for the top spot.  SLU still is scheduled to go to VCU and Richmond.  Both could be Quad 1 games.  The LSU game should remain Quad 1, NCState is slipping.

"I'm sure Goodwin will take his leadership to another level coming out of quarantine, realizing this will be a short season, and will be his last."

Interview    https://ktrs.com/the-big-sports-show/

Here is Stu's article today in the PD.  https://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/slu/a-10-commissioner-says-slu-still-on-solid-footing/article_9d4e2caa-feec-5069-8507-470c63d59cb3.html

9 minutes ago, SLURadioBoy said:

The Athletic put out an article about SLU and Villanova trying to come back from Covid. Apparently only 4 Billikens have not tested positive and even Ford got it.

https://theathletic.com/2321811/2021/01/14/saint-louis-villanova-sidelined-by-covid-19/?source=user_shared_article

-trying to find some good news, if most of the team got Covid they should be immune for at least 3 months, hopefully much longer, so perhaps this a one-time pause, gosh let's hope

4 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-trying to find some good news, if most of the team got Covid they should be immune for at least 3 months, hopefully much longer, so perhaps this a one-time pause, gosh let's hope

Exactly.

11 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

Really curious if French got it again or the players who didn't had it before mainly for that reason.  

billiken_roy likes this

47 minutes ago, SLURadioBoy said:

The Athletic put out an article about SLU and Villanova trying to come back from Covid. Apparently only 4 Billikens have not tested positive and even Ford got it.

https://theathletic.com/2321811/2021/01/14/saint-louis-villanova-sidelined-by-covid-19/?source=user_shared_article

How is it that our local media doesn't have these details but the pay-to-read Athletic has it?

25 minutes ago, Bills_06 said:

Really curious if French got it again or the players who didn't had it before mainly for that reason.  

I'd be very surprised if he got it again. While 3 months is the official party line from the CDC, most believe that re-infection is unlikely for much longer (years). Just today there was an article in the Financial Times that said a study of UK health-care workers that have gotten it has shown it it be roughly as effective as getting the vaccine when it comes to likelihood of getting it again.

42 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

I can't read the Athletic article, but the key will be whether the majority of the team got it in this most recent round or whether he's talking cumulative going back to the summer and fall. It matters because I'm pretty sure the NCAA said they won't worry about testing or quarantining players during the NCAA tourney if they got COVID within the last 3 months.

6 minutes ago, kshoe said:

How is it that our local media doesn't have these details but the pay-to-read Athletic has it?

my guess is stu knew.   but he was asked by slu not to discuss details.   athletic found out facts from likely second hand sources or maybe even players and pushed on without consent from slu.   that is my guess, i dont know that.  

SLU_Nick and HoosierPal like this

1 minute ago, billiken_roy said:

my guess is stu knew.   but he was asked by slu not to discuss details.   athletic found out facts from likely second hand sources or maybe even players and pushed on without consent from slu.   that is my guess, i dont know that.  

Seems unlikely given what little I can see of the article. Paragraph says "Ford says all but four of his players have tested positive for the virus,..."

If the athletic got that second hand and wrote it that way then shame on them.

9 minutes ago, kshoe said:

I can't read the Athletic article, but the key will be whether the majority of the team got it in this most recent round or whether he's talking cumulative going back to the summer and fall. It matters because I'm pretty sure the NCAA said they won't worry about testing or quarantining players during the NCAA tourney if they got COVID within the last 3 months.

Thanks to social media apps, we know of at least three who didn't get it. 

12 hours ago, brianstl said:

I don’t think the problem was that Brad waited too long to pull the trigger with Ahearn and Harrellson, but that he never bothered offering them at all.

The issue was that Romar had offered Ahearn but when he left Soderberg took the offer back  Brad really didn’t want him so it wasn’t like he lost out he had him already. Poor judge of talent. 

9 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Thanks to social media apps, we know of at least three who didn't get it. 

The question I'd have is whether those 3 are 3 of the 4 Ford references, or they actually got it back in the summer/fall and Ford is counting them in the group that has had Covid.

17 minutes ago, kshoe said:

The question I'd have is whether those 3 are 3 of the 4 Ford references, or they actually got it back in the summer/fall and Ford is counting them in the group that has had Covid.

indeed a good question 

19 minutes ago, kshoe said:

To me, it sounds like they got it now but could be wrong.  It is a long article but a few excerpts from it.  

And then it all stopped, the virus doing what viruses do, spreading through nearly the entire team, halting the season and the Billikens in their tracks. 

When the Billikens do reconvene by next week, hopefully, Ford doesn’t anticipate much basketball at first, which is why he believes that Jan. 20 game against the Minutemen is a pipe dream. “They’re not touching a basketball for several days,’’ he says. “They’ll condition on bikes, slowly get back into it.’’ With so many players having tested positive, he’s worried about them physically — pointing to the still unknown details with the collapse of Florida’s Keyontae Johnson — but he’s every bit as concerned for them mentally.

55 minutes ago, kshoe said:

Seems unlikely given what little I can see of the article. Paragraph says "Ford says all but four of his players have tested positive for the virus,..."

If the athletic got that second hand and wrote it that way then shame on them.

what do you know about the athletic's ownership and writers credentials?   honestly asking i dont know.   seems like so much of what has exploded the last few years internetwise to me.   got to be careful of sourcing more and more these days as the days of journalistic integrity is long gone.  

HoosierPal likes this