Official SLU News: Men’s Basketball Pauses Team Activities

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

17 minutes ago, jonny karate said:

How are we going to make up all these games!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/fox2now.com/sports/positive-covid-19-tests-pause-billikens-mens-basketball-program/amp/

If enough games have to be made up, May said one option could include going into a “mini-bubble,” similar to what the NBA and NHL did this past season.

29 minutes ago, jonny karate said:

How are we going to make up all these games!

We are not, not all of them.

I really do not know the answer to the following question: How many games did Fordham miss early in the season because they were quarantined? Anyone knows the answer?

8 hours ago, Old guy said:

We are not, not all of them.

I really do not know the answer to the following question: How many games did Fordham miss early in the season because they were quarantined? Anyone knows the answer?

Had to be 7 or 8 at least. Is 13 conference games the magic number for the tourney. 

Fordham as a net of 322, GW 264, Joey’s 248, GM 208, the dukes 203. 

The a10 is going to desperately want Slu to make the tournament, I could see us not playing some of the worst teams in order to fit enough games in. So far Duquesne, the Joey’s, and Lasalle aren’t that important, and you could argue that playing those games could hurt our net. I’d be shocked if these games are made up, but Davidson and umass are not. 

5 minutes ago, slu72 said:

We should be able to get 5 games in before March. Does it seem likely the eye test is going to be the biggest factor come selection Sunday?

We will get far more than 5 in. We'll get all but maybe 2 or 3 games that we purposely do not make up

rgbilliken likes this

4 minutes ago, brianstl said:

That assumption assumes that other teams don't have to shut down after we start playing again.

I haven't looked at the math of it, but it seems like the A-10 could be pretty aggressive in matching up teams that had scheduled games because of COVID at other schools. For example, when Mizzou went down with Covid last week, the SEC just told LSU to go play Mississippi because their opponent on Saturday also had COVID issues. Looks like they've already moved Davidson from playing the game this coming Friday with us to play LaSalle on Saturday. 

The bottom line is any rescheduling will be done opportunistically. Based on the existing schedule, making up games would be extremely difficult. For example, during our only week off - 8 days between Richmond on 1/29 and GW on 2/6 - the only other A10 team without any midweek games is GW, which is the team we're playing that weekend and a team we're only scheduled to play once. And now the Richmond game is in question based on their shutdown.

I also hope the league allows us to be picky about rescheduling to the extent it's possible. If we have a chance to make up Davidson or UMass, that's more valuable than making up La Salle or St. Joe's. But again, we're handcuffed by availability on the other side, based on other teams' existing schedules and whatever pauses might be happening. I would only push to reschedule a 200+ NET team if we're in a situation where we need to get to the minimum requirement for the Tournament.

10 minutes ago, Pistol said:

The bottom line is any rescheduling will be done opportunistically. Based on the existing schedule, making up games would be extremely difficult. For example, during our only week off - 8 days between Richmond on 1/29 and GW on 2/6 - the only other A10 team without any midweek games is GW, which is the team we're playing that weekend and a team we're only scheduled to play once. And now the Richmond game is in question based on their shutdown.

I also hope the league allows us to be picky about rescheduling to the extent it's possible. If we have a chance to make up Davidson or UMass, that's more valuable than making up La Salle or St. Joe's. But again, we're handcuffed by availability on the other side, based on other teams' existing schedules and whatever pauses might be happening. I would only push to reschedule a 200+ NET team if we're in a situation where we need to get to the minimum requirement for the Tournament.

-after we get to 13 I agree, in the meantime, when we are able to play, just play whoever is available

-I think the A10 might ease us back into the mix knowing we are the best chance to advance in March, ie much needed money for the coffers in Newport News and beyond

I thought the Valley's idea of playing back-to-back games with the same opponent was a good one from a logistical standpoint. When two teams are healthy and able to get together, crank out the games while you can. From a purely basketball standpoint, back-to-back games would seem to work well for SLU with our superior depth.

3 hours ago, brianstl said:

That assumption assumes that other teams don't have to shut down after we start playing again.

Right.  Its hard enough to predict SLU, I cannot try what else could happen, ha. 

i like the idea of a bubble weekend or days where all the teams are holed up in a hotel and then show up at the court for games that go off an hour apart.   crank out a couple of games a day for each team maybe you catch up 6 games in an extended weekend or something.  

3 hours ago, Pistol said:

Maybe some of the A-10 teams' opponents during that 8-day stretch will be shut down, opening windows for us.

3 hours ago, Pistol said:

Its not just in our best interest, but also the conferences best interest for us to schedule who we need to in order to not just make, but have a good seed in march. This is why I feel the st joes or Lasalle game will not be played, but they will find a way to reschedule the Davidson or possibly the Umass. 

12 minutes ago, juniorbill76 said:

Maybe some of the A-10 teams' opponents during that 8-day stretch will be shut down, opening windows for us.

Yes. Because we can't really schedule anyone for that stretch right now, but inevitably there will be teams looking for opponents due to others shut down during that stretch.

Just like the non-conference schedule, we're back to scheduling on the fly.