Official SLU News: Men’s Basketball Pauses Team Activities

7 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Does anyone know if a player is allowed to practice on his own? Take Jimerson for example, is he allowed on the practice court solo to work on his shot? Or French to work on FTs? Or are they just kept in solitary confinement in their rooms. I read where the training staff is sending them video workouts for conditioning, but that’s different from drills to keep their skill levels up to snuff. 

Frank and Coach talked last week.  Jordan Goodwin is at home and has a hoop in his driveway.  Frank said there is no way that Jordan hasn't been out shooting. Coach said "Yeah, it would be hard to keep him down."

They also have had stationary bikes and resistance bands, and I believe they said weights, delivered to wherever they are quarantining.

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We know that the men's team protocols have been stricter than the women's team protocols. We know that the quarantine will have lasted longer than both conference and local city/state regulations. And we know that from day one of this process, Coach Ford has been adamant that he didn't see us returning to practice for some time. It definitely feels like there is some other issue(s) at play that we aren't aware of and I guess my only hope is that it's strategy by the coaching staff as opposed to some health issue. 

4 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Frank and Coach talked last week.  Jordan Goodwin is at home and has a hoop in his driveway.  Frank said there is no way that Jordan hasn't been out shooting. Coach said "Yeah, it would be hard to keep him down."

They also have had stationary bikes and resistance bands, and I believe they said weights, delivered to wherever they are quarantining.

Jordan Goodwin is most certainly no longer at home.

11 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Does anyone know if a player is allowed to practice on his own? Take Jimerson for example, is he allowed on the practice court solo to work on his shot? Or French to work on FTs? Or are they just kept in solitary confinement in their rooms. I read where the training staff is sending them video workouts for conditioning, but that’s different from drills to keep their skill levels up to snuff. 

Officially, probably not.

15 minutes ago, slu72 said:

To me your questions, along with all the others in recent posts, is a big part of what is so frustrating to many of us.  May and Ford (to the extent TF is allowed to comment) have done a terrible job of providing even a minimal amount of information to the fan base.  Yet I'm sure we will all be asked to consider converting our season ticket payments into a contribution to the SLU Ath Dept or Billiken Club.  I can't imagine a reason that would keep the Ath Dept from answering questions such as yours about practice.  I have listened to CM and TF on the air and provide nothing more than coach-speak.  They can, and should, do better.

26 minutes ago, bauman said:

To me your questions, along with all the others in recent posts, is a big part of what is so frustrating to many of us.  May and Ford (to the extent TF is allowed to comment) have done a terrible job of providing even a minimal amount of information to the fan base.  Yet I'm sure we will all be asked to consider converting our season ticket payments into a contribution to the SLU Ath Dept or Billiken Club.  I can't imagine a reason that would keep the Ath Dept from answering questions such as yours about practice.  I have listened to CM and TF on the air and provide nothing more than coach-speak.  They can, and should, do better.

The lack of communication is odd. I get they can't disclose certain info and things are probably changing daily. But why not an update every few days with a : 1) here is where things stand currently 2) here's what we need to happen to get back on the court 3) here's our targeted return date if things go as planned. 

Honest question: is that too much to ask?

My sports intake has severely declined over the years but I need SLU basketball in my life right now. 

59 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

I know nothing more than anyone else.  But, some of my thoughts: 

I don't know what the City of St. Louis protocol is and how it impacts this.

The full Women's team is reportedly ready to practice later this week.  The Women's team and the Men's team are under the same unknown City protocol  

I assume that SLU has one policy, and it is the same for the Men's team and the Women's team.  That leads me to believe that there were some additional issues on the Men's side.

We don't know who had the virus, and we don't need to know who had the virus.

-and on sunday CStone said she was having practice with less than her full squad but expected her full squad to be on the court at some point this week as their quarantine would be complete, I would think we should hear tomorrow that at least part of the men's team is at practice

21 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

The lack of communication is odd. I get they can't disclose certain info and things are probably changing daily. But why not an update every few days with a : 1) here is where things stand currently 2) here's what we need to happen to get back on the court 3) here's our targeted return date if things go as planned. 

Honest question: is that too much to ask?

My sports intake has severely declined over the years but I need SLU basketball in my life right now. 

48 minutes ago, bauman said:

Ford said on the radio this week (last week?) that they'll probably start back again next week. What more do you want? What is Goodwin's temperature? Who has the most warzone wins in quarantine?

1 minute ago, Littlebill said:

Ford said on the radio this week (last week?) that they'll probably start back again next week. What more do you want? What is Goodwin's temperature? Who has the most warzone wins in quarantine?

I agree with Littlebill here.  There is really nothing to analyze.

Looks like Richmond just paused too.  

4 minutes ago, SLU_Nick said:

May and Ford have been pretty clear on the approach here.  They're erring on the side of caution.  Some MBMs just don't like the approach.  The timidity of our administration is in stark contrast to the swashbuckling play of Team Blue on the court.

SLU_Nick likes this

1 hour ago, Littlebill said:

Better communication with the fanbase? it's right there in my post. I'm not asking for a daily update but it has been, what, 2 weeks now and for those that don't constantly check social media or go back to the thread page they left off on days earlier, they'd have no clue where things stood right now. You'd think for a program that calls itself "STL's team" and is the highest level of basketball in a metro of almost 3M people they'd make an attempt to connect to everyone and not just those that follow Stu on Twitter or read this website. I most likely just have unrealistic standards.

And yes, I want to know Godwin's temp but only if it is taken rectally. 

1 hour ago, SLU_Nick said:

I don't think anyone is asking for analysis.

bauman likes this

1 hour ago, billikenfan05 said:

Jordan Goodwin is most certainly no longer at home.

Jordan Goodwin has a fleet on his twitter (like an instagram story) of him at chaifitz shooting with who looks to be Markhi. I don't know if it's new or not, but it's something to look at.

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

I'm sorry but I had chuckled at this. I'd rather he run up and down the floor and keep in shape.

CBFan likes this

14 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

Better communication with the fanbase? it's right there in my post. I'm not asking for a daily update but it has been, what, 2 weeks now and for those that don't constantly check social media or go back to the forum page they left off on days earlier, they'd have no clue where things stood right now. You'd think for a program that calls itself "STL's team" and is the highest level of basketball in a metro of almost 3M people they'd make an attempt to connect to everyone and not just those that follow Stu on Twitter or read this website. I most likely just have unrealistic standards.

And yes, I want to know Godwin's temp but only if it is taken rectally. 

I don't think anyone is asking for analysis.

Other than the newspaper, social media and radio, how else should the administration be communicating to the casual fan?  Those are the same outlets every program uses.

SLU_Nick likes this

1 hour ago, 3star_recruit said:

Other than the newspaper, social media and radio, how else should the administration be communicating to the casual fan?  Those are the same outlets every program uses.

If SLU has been providing updates the past 2 weeks via the Post/StlToday, social media, and the radio I stand corrected. I haven't read any. I also expect Travis Ford to personally call me every day with an update so...

As you said earlier, the lack of communication is by design and people like me are just impatient 😁

And to answer my own question from above: Yes, apparently it is too much to ask

2 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

If SLU has been providing updates the past 2 weeks via the Post/StlToday, social media, and the radio I stand corrected. I haven't read any. 

Per Carter's latest article:  It’s hard to know when exactly they will be back, considering how quiet everyone around the program is. No info coming out is pretty much by design. All I know is that they are operating on internal protocols and government ones, so it’s basically worthless to guess at this point.

https://www.scoopswithdannymac.com/chat-with-chaps-january-11-2021/

2 hours ago, NH said:

What do you mean? Injury or something like that? I have had similar questions but it’s just so hard to speculate given how little info we have.

Injuries are my main thought.  I think there could be a temptation since they had to shutdown for two weeks to extend that out some to let everyone get to as close to 100% as possible before you start playing again.

2 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

This is good information.  Can you tell me the difference?  Is it because of the coaches are handling it differently?

The women’s team is practicing without a full team whereas the men’s team is waiting until all personnel have been cleared before resuming activities. I assume it’s because the coaches are handling it differently but we also don’t really know why and I’m not sure we will find out.

3 hours ago, Cowboy said:

-if the team was in quarantine since Dec 30, there was another positive after this, there should be some players that are able to start practice this week

i believe i had read maybe on twitter by Stu that the team voted that they come back together.   no partial return. 

Just now, NH said:

The women’s team is practicing without a full team whereas the men’s team is waiting until all personnel have been cleared before resuming activities. I assume it’s because the coaches are handling it differently but we also don’t really know why and I’m not sure we will find out.

So then we don't know? 

I have no idea what circumstances are with the women's team and with the men's team.  I assume there was an issue that differed between the two teams.  I have no inside information, only what Frank and Coach have said on the radio.