Official SLU News: Men’s Basketball Pauses Team Activities

2 minutes ago, Compton said:

I'm coming around to this view after the initial shock/depression of losing SLU basketball for (at least) two weeks. 

Unlike a bunch of other teams - Fordham, Bonnies, Duquesne - we played a full and solid non-conference schedule. This team has a good sense of what works and what they need to work on. After some initial try outs (which Linssen and Jacobs took full advantage of), coach more or less has his rotation set. Additionally, missing (hopefully only) 4 games means less wear and tear, less of Yuri getting banged around, less of Hashan getting hacked, more time for Thatch and Jimerson to do PT and fully recover from last season's setbacks, etc.... It sucks, but if we come out of quarantine with a Top 25 or nearly Top 25 ranking and two weeks of rest, it could work to our favor. 

I just pray that whoever had it, and we don’t know if it was a player(s), has no or very minor after effects. 

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

47 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

Anytime I hear that song I think of a classmate of mine at Chaminade who would play that as soon as he got to his car after school, what a song to be blaring from your yellow Xterra thru the student parking lot.

Ah yes, our valedictorian. Colorful character, that guy.

5 minutes ago, slu72 said:

I just pray that whoever had it, and we don’t know if it was a player(s), has no or very minor after effects. 

After listening to Coach on with Frank yesterday, I read between the lines, and it seems to me that at least one player had it.  There was more than one positive case.  The good news is that everyone is feeling good, according to Coach. 

Coach also said players will be coming out of quarantine at different times, again pointing me to believe that more than one player was positive.  This is purely my speculation based on the interview.

30 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

After listening to Coach on with Frank yesterday, I read between the lines, and it seems to me that at least one player had it.  There was more than one positive case.  The good news is that everyone is feeling good, according to Coach. 

Coach also said players will be coming out of quarantine at different times, again pointing me to believe that more than one player was positive.  This is purely my speculation based on the interview.

I believe they said there were multiple positives with their  first announcement. That doesn't have to mean multiple players . 

3 hours ago, billikenbill said:

Not sure who let the dogs out but can we spring for a cheerleading scholly for the lead dancer in red? 🤩

What's scary is that she's probably now 50 years old with back issues. I'd be thoroughly impressed if she could still move like that. You watched a lot more of that video than I did...I had to go back and fast forward to find her 😁

30 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Coach Lisa Stone was on KMOX this morning (Sunday).  She was going to hold a practice today with 6 players.  The rest will be back for practice Thursday, and they plan to play Davidson on Saturday.  They have had 9 games postponed.

-I heard part of CStone this morning, very interesting that she is holding practice without the entire squad but on Ch11 at 7:30 CMay gave no indication this would happen for the men's team, he said there would be a one week period before playing, he said the doctors are in charge

16 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-I heard part of CStone this morning, very interesting that she is holding practice without the entire squad but on Ch11 at 7:30 CMay gave no indication this would happen for the men's team, he said there would be a one week period before playing, he said the doctors are in charge

Medical Doctors or the PhD’s?

JMM28 and AGB91 like this

5 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-I thought the City quarantine rule was 14 days, Dec 30 plus 14 days gets us to this week

There was another positive that happened about a week after the dec 30th positives 

7 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I am starting to wonder if there is another issue that might be causing the program not to want to get back on the court as soon as possible.

What do you mean? Injury or something like that? I have had similar questions but it’s just so hard to speculate given how little info we have.

20 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I am starting to wonder if there is another issue that might be causing the program not to want to get back on the court as soon as possible.

I don't know about another issue, but I've been of the mindset that perhaps Ford is trying to time the return so it's in the best interest of the team. Perhaps he's trying to extend the pause so that they have more practice time leading up to their first game. Or so they don't have to start on the road. Or play a tough team.

AGB91 likes this

30 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Really? I think it is just SLU following self-imposed stupid rules and us getting really unlucky with a 2nd positive test.  The way the admin handled situation 2 (and the overall positive consequences after that fallout) have reinforced the Pestello leadership philosophy of take no risks to benefit athletics.  That seems like all this is.   

A 2nd person unluckily popping positive restarting the 14 day clock yields about 3.5 weeks of no games.  I do not think there is something larger at play.  Just SLU taking a no-risk approach.

On the other end of the spectrum, does anyone think Alabama tested the entire football team in the time between the ND game and last night?  Me neither.  Some programs act like that, others act like SLU.

BilliesBy40 likes this

I don’t understand that if we had only one positive after the first alert, ie 12/30, why we couldn’t resume practice on 01/13 while keeping the one positive in quarantine? Seems to make little sense that one positive in quarantine would be a risk to the rest of the team if they’re all negative.  Any thoughts on this? 

6 minutes ago, slu72 said:

I don’t understand that if we had only one positive after the first alert, ie 12/30, why we couldn’t resume practice on 01/13 while keeping the one positive in quarantine? Seems to make little sense that one positive in quarantine would be a risk to the rest of the team if they’re all negative.  Any thoughts on this? 

I know nothing more than anyone else.  But, some of my thoughts: 

I don't know what the City of St. Louis protocol is and how it impacts this.

The full Women's team is reportedly ready to practice later this week.  The Women's team and the Men's team are under the same unknown City protocol  

I assume that SLU has one policy, and it is the same for the Men's team and the Women's team.  That leads me to believe that there were some additional issues on the Men's side.

We don't know who had the virus, and we don't need to know who had the virus.

6 minutes ago, SLU_Nick said:

Really? I think it is just SLU following self-imposed stupid rules and us getting really unlucky with a 2nd positive test.  The way the admin handled situation 2 (and the overall positive consequences after that fallout) have reinforced the Pestello leadership philosophy of take no risks to benefit athletics.  That seems like all this is.   

A 2nd person unluckily popping positive restarting the 14 day clock yields about 3.5 weeks of no games.  I do not think there is something larger at play.  Just SLU taking a no-risk approach.

On the other end of the spectrum, does anyone think Alabama tested the entire football team in the time between the ND game and last night?  Me neither.  Some programs act like that, others act like SLU.

If players are quarantining since Dec 30 it means they have had no contact with other players. There is no reason, whatsoever, that a second player testing positive on January 7 would reset the clock on the other members of the team until January 21 since they haven't had contact with said player since Dec 30.

This is the part that makes no sense to me and why I fall into BrianSTL's camp of thinking something else is going on here. To be sure, Billikenfan05's theory that Ford just wants a bunch of practice time is the most logical explanation. That being said, I don't like it as it's unfair to other teams in our conference for us to drag our feet on returning to play. Our opponents want to play games and want to play top 25 teams!

brianstl and SShoe like this

Does anyone know if a player is allowed to practice on his own? Take Jimerson for example, is he allowed on the practice court solo to work on his shot? Or French to work on FTs? Or are they just kept in solitary confinement in their rooms. I read where the training staff is sending them video workouts for conditioning, but that’s different from drills to keep their skill levels up to snuff.