Official SLU News: Men’s Basketball Pauses Team Activities

3 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

Really sorry to read this.

Thank you, very kind of you.

When Pistol spoke about his family not wearing masks right it was how I was before the plague brought tragedy to my family.  Now I understand how dangerous this virus is.

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, CBFan said:

When Pistol spoke about his family not wearing masks right it was how I was before the plague brought tragedy to my family.  Now I understand how dangerous this virus is.

You are one of my favorite Billiken fans, so I hate to hear what you and your family are going thru. Thoughts and prayers, hopefully we can all reconnect at a game next fall/winter.

CBFan likes this

41 minutes ago, CBFan said:

Sorry CBfan. We should all say a prayer every night for the victims of this plague. 

billikenbill and CBFan like this

I sorta have a problem testing anyone for covid without displaying symptoms.  Does anyone know the protocol for the players?

If I had no symptoms, I'd like to have three consecutive tests administered to rule out false positives.  The players should also have a right to know the Ct value of their test.  These tests start to really suck when the Ct is >30 and the patient is asymptomatic.  Sure, you'll find some cases that defy this rule, but it is rare. You will find many of these labs test in the 30-40 range...google it, this is documented. Yet, we continue to use all positive cases to drive policy.

21 hours ago, Pistol said:

I have you on ignore but saw this in a quoted message.

I specifically said that it was true of my parents and a lot of my friends' parents. I'm not generalizing for an entire generation, just showing that letting players go home exposes them to a different set of people who might be operating differently.

I don't have any interest in fighting whatever culture war you're trying to flame here. My only interest in this context is our program avoiding positive tests, and regardless of your belief system, going home increases that possibility.

Good post.

Cbfan, I’m sorry for your family’s loss. That’s tough. I’ll keep you all in my prayers. And for anyone else as well. 

I think everyone has to navigate and not judge others on their decision. I work In The health field and have seen some awful impacts on families that give weight to opposing viewpoints on it. 
you’ve gotta live sometimes and youve got to be careful in a way that works for you. 
Much of my family don’t have the option to hunker down. But because im in the hospital, im not judged by the fact that I see hundreds of people daily- albeit, very well covered by protocol.

that being said protocol keeps changing and expectations keep changing. You remember when everyone quarantined for two weeks because that was going to solve it- and did help- but didn’t solve.  
do what you can to protect your families. But harping on others actions when you don’t know what theyve got going on has never and will never resolve anything. 
And for what it is worth, for those who are able, staying home seems safest option.

sorry for being preachy but my gosh this year has made everyone so feisty. It’s frustrating to watch people argue. 
billikens billikens billikens!

BILLS324, SLU_Lax, CBFan and 2 others like this

17 minutes ago, BilliKat said:

Cbfan, I’m sorry for your family’s loss. That’s tough. I’ll keep you all in my prayers. And for anyone else as well. 

I think everyone has to navigate and not judge others on their decision. I work In The health field and have seen some awful impacts on families that give weight to opposing viewpoints on it. 
you’ve gotta live sometimes and youve got to be careful in a way that works for you. 
Much of my family don’t have the option to hunker down. But because im in the hospital, im not judged by the fact that I see hundreds of people daily- albeit, very well covered by protocol.

that being said protocol keeps changing and expectations keep changing. You remember when everyone quarantined for two weeks because that was going to solve it- and did help- but didn’t solve.  
do what you can to protect your families. But harping on others actions when you don’t know what theyve got going on has never and will never resolve anything. 

sorry for being preachy but my gosh this year has made everyone so feisty. It’s frustrating to watch people argue. 
billikens billikens billikens!

Perfectly said not preachy.

In a free country we make the decisions I just wanted to point out how tragic the virus can be and to be careful.

As far as the players that live locally going home for quarantine I am not sure that would be the best place unless there are protocols to test everyone that will be in the residence.

Hopefully this is the last week of quarantine and my beloved Billikens can resume play soon.

23 hours ago, CBFan said:

Good points pistol my brother in law is the last person I thought would die from COVID but he did.  My brother in law was a big country strong man that fought it on a ventilator for 5 weeks until succumbing to this plague in November.  My sister and family are still shocked about this.

The very same week my brother in law  died I also lost a friend and that family is devastated.

My 89 year old father has isolated himself inside his home for months and hoping to get the vaccine as soon as possible but no word yet.  My dad checks on the vaccine daily.

i wear my mask correctly not like a chin diaper and I take COVID serious though I did go to Pappy’s a couple of weeks ago they are allowed 50 percent capacity.

I am sorry for your loss....You are not just a CBF but a great Bills BF....Wishing you peace, comfort, courage and love during this difficult time.....May we all get together soon for better times.

CBFan likes this

12 hours ago, CBFan said:

My condolences, too. Horrible to have to deal with this, and I'm just so sorry for you and your family.

Stay safe, everyone.

CBFan likes this

Does anyone know SLU's policy for the general student population if a student is deemed that he/she has to quarantine because of contact tracing? Are general students forced to go to St. Ignacio hotel or do they have the option to go home to quarantine if they are local?

I don't know the answer to that, but if SLU's policy is to let local students go home to quarantine, how could they tell the basketball team they can't also do the same thing?

RUBillsFan likes this

Ditto here CB.  Stay safe.  I am about to lose a dear high school classmate and friend.  She was diagnosed with lung cancer last year and was fighting it.  But in these COVID times, she was admitted to the hospital and now picked up COVID too.  There was fear she wouldn't see the new year but she is still here.  Not as close as your situation but close enough.  Sad when going to the hospital doesn't work either.

Condolences buddy.

CBFan likes this

kshoe --- good question.  But I thought I read where Ford asked the team what they wanted to do and their vote was to stay and practice and practice the social distancing crap so they coudl continue to play.  Ford was not real happy about disrupting their family lives but did so because they said okay.  Then the positive hits.

I still don't get the Kolt Mitchell situation at Umass ---- the announcers said he wasn't with the team due to COVID protocols.  So what happened there?  Was he positive?  A person at risk due to contract tracing?  But more importantly, why didn't he and Umass shut down like us, Villanova, Fordham, etc.?

2 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

kshoe --- good question.  But I thought I read where Ford asked the team what they wanted to do and their vote was to stay and practice and practice the social distancing crap so they coudl continue to play.  Ford was not real happy about disrupting their family lives but did so because they said okay.  Then the positive hits.

I still don't get the Kolt Mitchell situation at Umass ---- the announcers said he wasn't with the team due to COVID protocols.  So what happened there?  Was he positive?  A person at risk due to contract tracing?  But more importantly, why didn't he and Umass shut down like us, Villanova, Fordham, etc.?

It's one thing for the team to prefer to stay on campus and avoid home when they have one week and get to practice together and they believe it is the best way to play the next game. Its quite another when you are going to be locked in a hotel room for 2 weeks and you have an option to go home for a week, do your quarantine there and then come back to campus near the end of the quarantine. Might as well get whatever family time in that you can, when you can.

I don't know the Kolt Mitchell situation at all, but if he or anyone else is simply in contact with someone with COVID (like a girlfriend or buddy not involved with the basketball team) then Kolt would need to quarantine but that doesn't transfer to the whole team. You don't need to quarantine just because you are near someone else that needs to quarantine. You need to quarantine if you are near someone that has Covid.

12 minutes ago, Compton said:

Then post about basketball. 

unfortunately the discussion of non basketball topics continue to emerge, the moderator should not allow this, no matter which poster does it. some posters are allowed a lot of leeway while others are suspended. lets talk hoops

Compton likes this

Yea, I don't know the Mitchell situation either .... just like i don't know what happen to us in terms of who, how many, and so on.  So there is no ability to compare apples to oranges.

6 minutes ago, dennis_w said:

unfortunately the discussion of non basketball topics continue to emerge, the moderator should not allow this, no matter which poster does it. some posters are allowed a lot of leeway while others are suspended. lets talk hoops

Absolutely correct, Dennis 

13 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

NET Ranking: 10

AP: 23

Coaches: 23

Anytime I hear that song I think of a classmate of mine at Chaminade who would play that as soon as he got to his car after school, what a song to be blaring from your yellow Xterra thru the student parking lot.

On 12/30/2020 at 6:49 PM, mrjoelabs said:

This is honestly the best case scenario. If we had lost the LSU or NC State game we wouldn’t have gotten those back.  Playing and winning those games was key.  Even if we miss the majority of January whenever we come back we should be able to roll through our conference games. 

I'm coming around to this view after the initial shock/depression of losing SLU basketball for (at least) two weeks. 

Unlike a bunch of other teams - Fordham, Bonnies, Duquesne - we played a full and solid non-conference schedule. This team has a good sense of what works and what they need to work on. After some initial try outs (which Linssen and Jacobs took full advantage of), coach more or less has his rotation set. Additionally, missing (hopefully only) 4 games means less wear and tear, less of Yuri getting banged around, less of Hashan getting hacked, more time for Thatch and Jimerson to do PT and fully recover from last season's setbacks, etc.... It sucks, but if we come out of quarantine with a Top 25 or nearly Top 25 ranking and two weeks of rest, it could work to our favor.