Official SLU News: Men’s Basketball Pauses Team Activities

10 hours ago, kshoe said:

As someone that just wrapped up his own quarantine in the basement of his home, I can attest that quarantining at home is quite possible.

20 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Yes it is possible, but only if the players are strictly following it and what I’m seeing on social media leaves me less than optimist. They aren’t out and about but are still hanging near family members or SOs who might not be as careful. 

I’ll take the “risk” of being with family over being locked up alone in their apartment for 14 days. 

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

If you can't trust family, who can you trust?

I'm assuming this is sarcasm. Of everyone I know, no one is handling this with less care than my parents. Talking to a lot of my friends (mostly late 30s), this is true of a lot of our parents (mostly in their 60s). They've gone on vacation multiple times, only wear masks when being required and even then pulling it down on their faces, going out to eat multiple times a week, going to public places every day, and downplaying the risk despite now having seen some people they know hit pretty hard by this. My family's house back in STL is the last place on earth I'd want someone to "quarantine".

10 minutes ago, Pistol said:

When you've been living on a college campus, "quarantining at home" is not quarantining at all. It's opening yourself up to a new set of people. It only works if your family members have all been on strict lockdown and we all know that's not the case. This is all about risk mitigation, exposure to the fewest people possible.

I hope it works out for the best and we get back to action as soon as possible. I'm baffled by the decision to send them home, though.

For their psychological and emotional health.  It's a roll of the dice to be sure but these kids are not robots.  Part of the reason we're able to keep hometown kids home is because they're very close to their families.

1 minute ago, 3star_recruit said:

For their psychological and emotional health.  It's a roll of the dice to be sure but these kids are not robots.  Part of the reason we're able to keep hometown kids home is because they're very close to their families.

I get it, but sending them home increases our chances of another positive test in the next couple weeks. Having the team shut down for 2 more weeks is more frustrating than being bored in a campus apartment.

I've been cooped up with 2 young kids since March and would give anything to be "bored" in an apartment by myself for a few weeks. I'm aware our players don't have this perspective, but still.

6 minutes ago, Pistol said:

I'm assuming this is sarcasm. Of everyone I know, no one is handling this with less care than my parents. Talking to a lot of my friends (mostly late 30s), this is true of a lot of our parents (mostly in their 60s). They've gone on vacation multiple times, only wear masks when being required and even then pulling it down on their faces, going out to eat multiple times a week, going to public places every day, and downplaying the risk despite now having seen some people they know hit pretty hard by this. My family's house back in STL is the last place on earth I'd want someone to "quarantine".

Good points pistol my brother in law is the last person I thought would die from COVID but he did.  My brother in law was a big country strong man that fought it on a ventilator for 5 weeks until succumbing to this plague in November.  My sister and family are still shocked about this.

The very same week my brother in law  died I also lost a friend and that family is devastated.

My 89 year old father has isolated himself inside his home for months and hoping to get the vaccine as soon as possible but no word yet.  My dad checks on the vaccine daily.

i wear my mask correctly not like a chin diaper and I take COVID serious though I did go to Pappy’s a couple of weeks ago they are allowed 50 percent capacity.

3 minutes ago, Pistol said:

I get it, but sending them home increases our chances of another positive test in the next couple weeks. Having the team shut down for 2 more weeks is more frustrating than being bored in a campus apartment.

I've been cooped up with 2 young kids since March and would give anything to be "bored" in an apartment by myself for a few weeks. I'm aware our players don't have this perspective, but still.

Like I said, it's definitely a roll of the dice.  There have been teams that didn't go home for the holidays that have tested positive.  There have been teams that did go home for the holidays and are COVID free.  

I also am in shock of the decision to send the local players home. I get it from the emotional side of things but it seems like a crazy risk especially after the holidays. Families could all quarantine now but surely they all weren't doing so in the week prior to the positive test within the program.

Also I could understand sending them home to take away the temptation of getting on campus or seeing other people but it's not a real quarantine if they're hanging out with families, girlfriends, etc and just doing it at home. They should be confided to a room or a basement like kshoe mentioned with his quarantine

41 minutes ago, Brighton said:

Coach Drinkwitz sent his kids home after the final game in Starkville....and what did that get them ? A postponed bowl game vs #15 Iowa.

Well, they got the virus in Starkville, not from going home. 

what was stupid was sending players home, right after traveling 

-listening to the podcast of CFord on today with Frank I wonder if part of the reason to send the local kids home is those on campus are locked in their rooms while the kids at home have more freedom to do physical activity, JGood specifically mentioned by Frank

-CFord said he would like to play again after the team gets in shape, not sure that is how this process will work

56 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-listening to the podcast of CFord on today with Frank I wonder if part of the reason to send the local kids home is those on campus are locked in their rooms while the kids at home have more freedom to do physical activity, JGood specifically mentioned by Frank

-CFord said he would like to play again after the team gets in shape, not sure that is how this process will work

What? 

3 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

He wants to make sure the players are in condition to play games.  They have to be able to run their "gassers" and still play tough defense before he'll be willing to play a game.

well yeah that’s a nice sentiment but I don’t think Ford gets to choose when they play or not. 

14 days is CDC recommendation. 10 days is acceptable if no symptoms. 7 days is acceptable if you have a negative test on day 6 or 7. https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/if-you-are-sick/quarantine.html

City of St. Louis is still 14 days after last exposure: https://www.stlouis-mo.gov/government/departments/health/communicable-disease/covid-19/documents/upload/Quarantine-Guidance-for-Contacts.pdf

Does anyone know what date SLU is expecting to be able to re-open the team's activities? 

3 hours ago, davidnark said:

14 days is CDC recommendation. 10 days is acceptable if no symptoms. 7 days is acceptable if you have a negative test on day 6 or 7. https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/if-you-are-sick/quarantine.html

City of St. Louis is still 14 days after last exposure: https://www.stlouis-mo.gov/government/departments/health/communicable-disease/covid-19/documents/upload/Quarantine-Guidance-for-Contacts.pdf

Does anyone know what date SLU is expecting to be able to re-open the team's activities? 

-or better yet, does anyone know someone at the City who change their guidance?

11 hours ago, CBFan said:

Good points pistol my brother in law is the last person I thought would die from COVID but he did.  My brother in law was a big country strong man that fought it on a ventilator for 5 weeks until succumbing to this plague in November.  My sister and family are still shocked about this.

The very same week my brother in law  died I also lost a friend and that family is devastated.

My 89 year old father has isolated himself inside his home for months and hoping to get the vaccine as soon as possible but no word yet.  My dad checks on the vaccine daily.

i wear my mask correctly not like a chin diaper and I take COVID serious though I did go to Pappy’s a couple of weeks ago they are allowed 50 percent capacity.

Really sorry to read this.

Billiken Rich likes this