Official SLU News: Men’s Basketball Pauses Team Activities

2 minutes ago, BillsBeliever!!! said:

wonder if we will have double headers when we come back as well against teams we play twice. This also opens up the 24th of February for us to make up our game against the Dukes

-this is a good sign, conference is reacting quickly, I give the A10 some credit here

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

54 minutes ago, BillsBeliever!!! said:

wonder if we will have double headers when we come back as well against teams we play twice. This also opens up the 24th of February for us to make up our game against the Dukes

The two that would maybe fit for us are two up at UMass and two here with LaSalle. I didn’t check their schedules. 

i read that this double dip pushes up a Feb rematch to this weekend. That would open up that Feb date for both teams. 

On 12/30/2020 at 6:50 PM, 68Alum said:

I hope you are wrong and the positive is limited to one or a few cases. This is not the three day sniffles that is involved here. Many people that have become infected are reporting long term serious effects from this disease.

Totally right. I know plenty of young(30s) and healthy people who have seen long term after effects on their breathing and aches/pains. There's a certain attitude that tries to say the virus is just the flu. It is absolutely not. Just because someone recovered doesn't necessarily put them in shape to play competitive sports.

What I hope is that those effected recover quickly, no others come down with it, and we don't see anymore outbreaks at all and get our guys vaccinated ASAP. Any other hope is just cruel and insane.

As far as vaccination in St. Louis goes, it appears that even among nurses those that are not actively working at a hospital (working with medical practice of some sort) are having trouble getting the vaccine. So far, it appears vaccines are restricted to hospital personnel. I am not sure if they are vaccinating the elderly in nursing homes or the police and firemen (first responders) either. Does anyone know? Given the way it is, I see no way to insure early vaccination of basketball players.

Here's what I don't fully understand: it seems like every other major sport has found a way to have a positive result or two and not shut down the entire team. That's why the NFL keeps marching along, the NBA is determined to do the same and college football has still had games despite certain players not being available. Yet college basketball shuts it all down for 2 weeks with a single positive result?

At this point in the season it's just an inconvenience as games will be made up or not played at all and it's not a big deal. But is this really the game plan for March? A single positive result is going to eliminate a team from the NCAA tournament? Are schools really going to give up the $1.3mm revenue that comes from a single NCAA tourney game because the 9th best player on the team is asymptomatic and tested positive? What if a team wins the first two games and right before their Sweet 16 game an assistant coach tests positive? Shut it down and forfeit?

I get that much of this is being done on the fly and I suspect the policies will change when the games become more meaningful, but this can't really be the game plan for March can it?

20 hours ago, Old guy said:

As far as vaccination in St. Louis goes, it appears that even among nurses those that are not actively working at a hospital (working with medical practice of some sort) are having trouble getting the vaccine. So far, it appears vaccines are restricted to hospital personnel. I am not sure if they are vaccinating the elderly in nursing homes or the police and firemen (first responders) either. Does anyone know? Given the way it is, I see no way to insure early vaccination of basketball players.

I have an extended family member who is a nurse is nursing home for the elderly in St. Louis.  She's scheduled to get her shot on January 11th I think she said.  Out here in CA they are already vaccinating the elderly in local nursing homes.  My wife's boss was there delivering some goods on Wednesday and they had an extra shot from the vial so they gave it to her as an essential worker (someone serving the elderly on a regular basis).  The vaccination process has begun, but it does appear to be going too slowly.  

Having said all that, I would assume early vaccination of basketball players is not going to happen unless someone at SLU can get them in a trial.

VCU Athletics announced early Saturday morning that the VCU men’s basketball program will pause team activities “due to COVID-19 protocols within the program.” VCU’s home game against Davidson, scheduled for 2:30 p.m. on Saturday, was postponed.

The Rams are the second Atlantic 10 team currently on pause due to COVID-19 protocols. Saint Louis announced that it will go on pause on Dec. 30. According to SBUnfurled’s College Basketball Quarantine List, Saint Louis is targeting a Jan. 9 return, pending clearing all necessary protocols.

2 hours ago, Speyburn said:

VCU Athletics announced early Saturday morning that the VCU men’s basketball program will pause team activities “due to COVID-19 protocols within the program.” VCU’s home game against Davidson, scheduled for 2:30 p.m. on Saturday, was postponed.

The Rams are the second Atlantic 10 team currently on pause due to COVID-19 protocols. Saint Louis announced that it will go on pause on Dec. 30. According to SBUnfurled’s College Basketball Quarantine List, Saint Louis is targeting a Jan. 9 return, pending clearing all necessary protocols.

Interesting. Don’t know where they got the Jan 9th from but if it’s true that will have been 12/13 days. Would mean only one more week off.

On KMOX this morning, AD May said yes, SLU has to abide by the City of STL 14 day quarantine protocol.  "It (the quarantine) depends on where you are located and what the Public Health protocol is." 

"We continue to test to make sure we don't have any other issues.  Then there is a back to play protocol." 

"The key is the reset.  You need a pure, clean reset.  We are spending a lot of time and energy to make sure they are in a pure quarantine, not around anyone."

Campus reopens on January 28.  All teams will be competing this spring, soccer, baseball, basketball, and on down the line...350 athletes competing in their sports.

31 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

On KMOX this morning, AD May said yes, SLU has to abide by the City of STL 14 day quarantine protocol.  "It (the quarantine) depends on where you are located and what the Public Health protocol is." 

"We continue to test to make sure we don't have any other issues.  Then there is a back to play protocol." 

"The key is the reset.  You need a pure, clean reset.  We are spending a lot of time and energy to make sure they are in a pure quarantine, not around anyone."

Campus reopens on January 28.  All teams will be competing this spring, soccer, baseball, basketball, and on down the line...350 athletes competing in their sports.

I’m just not seeing this following the players on social media and the idea that some are quarantining at home.

BilliesBy40 likes this

6 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

I’m just not seeing this following the players on social media and the idea that some are quarantining at home.

As someone that just wrapped up his own quarantine in the basement of his home, I can attest that quarantining at home is quite possible.

6 hours ago, Brighton said:

If they piss away a golden opportunity to do great things this year, then that's on them and no one else.

Blaming people for getting COVID without knowing the facts it pretty stupid. Sure, some people get it because they go out and do dumb things. Others get it by doing nothing wrong and it just being out there in a lot of places and basically being unavoidable. 

9 hours ago, kshoe said:

As someone that just wrapped up his own quarantine in the basement of his home, I can attest that quarantining at home is quite possible.

Yes it is possible, but only if the players are strictly following it and what I’m seeing on social media leaves me less than optimist. They aren’t out and about but are still hanging near family members or SOs who might not be as careful. 

8 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Yes it is possible, but only if the players are strictly following it and what I’m seeing on social media leaves me less than optimist. They aren’t out and about but are still hanging near family members or SOs who might not be as careful.

If you can't trust family, who can you trust?

billiken_roy likes this

When you've been living on a college campus, "quarantining at home" is not quarantining at all. It's opening yourself up to a new set of people. It only works if your family members have all been on strict lockdown and we all know that's not the case. This is all about risk mitigation, exposure to the fewest people possible.

I hope it works out for the best and we get back to action as soon as possible. I'm baffled by the decision to send them home, though.

TheChosenOne and brianstl like this