Official SLU News: Men’s Basketball Pauses Team Activities

3 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

I agree; good piece, Carter.  However — psst! — it's impermissible, not inadmissible.

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, wgstl said:

It will be hard to fit the 3 games in. We only have one 5+ day gap the rest of the way. 

The MVC has an interesting schedule this year, with most of their games played on back-to-back days. It results in most season match-ups being home or away instead of home and away. Really tough to beat the same team 2 days in a row, but that could be one means of getting the UMass and LaSalle games in (if the latter ends up getting cancelled). 

5 hours ago, pakapablo said:

Thinking the women’s team may pull a Duke soon. 

I guess I don't understand why this keeps happening - surely they have protocols in place to prevent this.  This is the 3rd time something is not working.  Does anybody know if the processes being followed by the men and women teams are ones set up by the AD or does each coach make their own?

So it looks like we will be three weeks between games, and perhaps have 2 to 4 practices in before we play Davidson.  That is not a good combination. 

I'll be interested to see how the A10 puts 4 games back into the Bill's schedule.  Several options would be to schedule back to back games, such as up at UMass and LaSalle here (need to check out their schedules to see if that works), switch out opponents, or simply play fewer than 18 games.  The second St. Bonnie game still has to be scheduled, so really there are five games that need to be shoehorned into the schedule.

9 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

So it looks like we will be three weeks between games, and perhaps have 2 to 4 practices in before we play Davidson.  That is not a good combination. 

I'll be interested to see how the A10 puts 4 games back into the Bill's schedule.  Several options would be to schedule back to back games, such as up at UMass and LaSalle here (need to check out their schedules to see if that works), switch out opponents, or simply play fewer than 18 games.  The second St. Bonnie game still has to be scheduled, so really there are five games that need to be shoehorned into the schedule.

Considering how poorly we shoot against Davidson even with practice, we're probably better off just relying on instinct.  The one time we've blown Davidson out was in the A10 tournament when we put the ball in the hands of our best two scorers and got out of the way.

HoosierPal likes this

29 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

-if you are taking bets this is where my money will be placed

29 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-if you are taking bets this is where my money will be placed

You are probably right, at the end of the season we, and other teams, won't have 18 games. But if we don't play 18, other teams won't play 18 either, unless some mix and matching occurs.   I'm glad I am not the A10 scheduler.   I hope he/she uses an erasable white board.  You know that this isn't the last COVID horeshoe that will be thrown.  Other teams will unfortunately follow.  They will have to be creative in how they approach this season.

Why not just have LaSalle and St. Joseph's play each other during the period we were supposed to be in Philly?  So what if they play each other 3 times during the season?  That additional game would make them both at 18, for now.

9 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Why not just have LaSalle and St. Joseph's play each other during the period we were supposed to be in Philly?  So what if they play each other 3 times during the season?  That additional game would make them both at 18, for now.

Philly will be key. Bills host Rhody on 10Feb. If the league could reschedule that game, SLU would have their game @GW on 6Feb and @Fordham on 13Feb. They could play the Joeys and Explorers on the 8th and 10th. Joeys play LaSalle on 6Feb so they will already in Philly and don't have a game scheduled until the 13th. Joeys are @ Dayton so maybe they Bills play them first.

25 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

You are probably right, at the end of the season we, and other teams, won't have 18 games. But if we don't play 18, other teams won't play 18 either, unless some mix and matching occurs.   I'm glad I am not the A10 scheduler.   I hope he/she uses an erasable white board.  You know that this isn't the last COVID horeshoe that will be thrown.  Other teams will unfortunately follow.  They will have to be creative in how they approach this season.

And it's not like LaSalle or St Joe are going to be in the hunt for the regular season title. 

Unless it come down to $$$, I don't see a reason to bring all the teams that are non-Covid affected, at the time, to NYC for an A 10 tournament where having so many teams in the same facility only enhances the possibility of a tournament winner being impacted by the virus.  Just declare the regular season winner (by %) the automatic Dance rep for the league.  But that decision needs to be made soon, before a lot of Conf games are played.

How would you like for our team to win the Reg Season but not be able to go to an A 10 tournament due to Covid and miss out on the automatic Conference bid since they couldn't play in NYC?  Just as bad is going to NYC and having someone test positive at the end of the week forcing us to miss the NCAA.

We just need to get the he11 out of Dodge (2020-21 season) with as little damage as possible and hope that 1 or 2 of our seniors decide to come back and work on a Masters Degree.

Finally, regarding the SLU Women;  Shut it down for the year.  If you can't prevent being shut down 3 times this early in the season give it up.  You as a group are incapable of dealing with this.

HoosierPal likes this

3 hours ago, cheeseman said:

I guess I don't understand why this keeps happening - surely they have protocols in place to prevent this.  This is the 3rd time something is not working.  Does anybody know if the processes being followed by the men and women teams are ones set up by the AD or does each coach make their own?

From what I have seen so far, your level of understanding of reality is generally low. Please keep this in mind: unexpected sh-t does happen.

1 hour ago, Old guy said:

From what I have seen so far, your level of understanding of reality is generally low. Please keep this in mind: unexpected sh-t does happen.

You know if you didn't have anything to add then you should just shut up.  My question was simply one of who is setting the protocols for the teams.  Maybe if you had a personality then you would have seen that but alas reality always hits you in the face.

12 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

You know if you didn't have anything to add then you should just shut up.  My question was simply one of who is setting the protocols for the teams.  Maybe if you had a personality then you would have seen that but atlas reality always hits you in the face.

The protocols are 95% the same for the men's and women's teams and basically all teams across the country. There are some differences like whether kids get to go home from Christmas and things like that, but much of it is the same or similar enough across all these teams. Getting through the season unscathed or scathed multiple times is as much about luck as anything.

I don't think it's fair to look at a team that has had multiple stoppages and say that they are doing something wrong or have bad protocols. Quite frankly, the bar is set so high given how much of the virus is in the general public and the requirement that college age kids act perfectly rational at all times that it's near impossible for a group of 25+ individuals to not get it at some point. The frequency of tests assures that even asymptomatic carriers will get flagged.

Those fortunate programs that go the whole season unscathed probably fall into two camps 1) extremely lucky 2) most if not all the kids got it during the summer/fall when practices weren't ongoing.

RUBillsFan and cheeseman like this