Official SLU News: Men’s Basketball Pauses Team Activities

5 minutes ago, Schasz said:

Unfortunately, this year could be even worse than last March. I had Tix for the first round of NCAA that was supposed to happen in Tampa. Covid is much worse now than it was last March.

NCAA cant miss it twice. It'll happen no matter what

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No official word yet, but if SLU quarantine started today, the 14th day is Jan. 12. That would give the Billikens two days to get ready for Davidson at home on Jan. 15.

If we found out we had positives on the 28th, I would have to think we started quarantine immediately, and would not have waited a few days, right?

Ugh - sucks, particularly coming the day after the email announcing limited attendance would be allowed for upcoming games.

First and foremost, hoping that whoever is positive recovers well and all the players and staff stay as healthy as possible.

RUBillsFan and slufanskip like this

I made a couple comments above about hoping the university isn't holding things up more so than the NCAA or A-10.  That was my initial reaction as a passionate Billiken fan.  Now, an hour or later, I am starting to consider the other ramifications about this situation.  The kids on the team are probably going to be fine.  The medical evidence is that it should not affect them all that much.  That being said, we do have older folks involved in the program that aren't necessarily in the same place as the young healthy players.  Let's say a prayer for them and anyone else that the infected individuals may have come in contact with.

RUBillsFan and slufanskip like this

1 hour ago, DOC said:

The women's team just went thru this. Does anyone know how many day's they had to sit? Guessing the 2 teams would have the same Covid rules.

ROUND 1:

Women's team went into quarantine on November 10th - https://slubillikens.com/news/2020/12/23/womens-basketball-announces-updates-to-schedule.aspx

They seemed all set to play Mizzou on 11/29 before COVID issues with MIZ nixed the game - https://slubillikens.com/news/2020/11/29/womens-basketball-game-vs-missouri-postponed.aspx

No idea when they started practicing, but my guess is that this was a standard 14 day pause.

ROUND 2:

Women's team went into quarantine on December 8th - https://slubillikens.com/news/2020/12/8/womens-basketball-pauses-all-team-activities.aspx

They are scheduled to play on January 1st. - https://slubillikens.com/news/2020/12/23/womens-basketball-announces-updates-to-schedule.aspx

No idea when they started practicing again or any of those details.  Initially it was announced they would miss games dated 12/9, 12/11, 12/17, and 12/20.  Later they pushed back the game scheduled for 12/29.  I do not know if that is because they could not play the game due to quarantine rules or if they wanted extra time to practice before having a game.  Also tough to judge timeframe because holidays may have also played a factor in when they would return.

Safe to say that based on the WBB COVID timelines the men's team will be on pause for at least 14 days.

DOC likes this

1 hour ago, NH said:

The NCAA needs to push back March Madness to give teams more time to play games. It is absolutely ridiculous that they are still pushing ahead for March. 

I don't think they want to push the Tournament back.  But that's why they set a low minimum of games necessary to qualify.  Just need to play 13, think.

So, does Coach allow the players to go home, or do they stay on campus, isolated from each other, for two weeks.  I'm guessing they can use the SLU weight room, individually and without supervision, and can shoot in the gyms, again alone, should they stay. 

Stay or go?.....we know the virus is on campus and in their home towns.  Both answers are right and both answers are wrong.  I say for those who can, let them go home for a week.    

32 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

So, does Coach allow the players to go home, or do they stay on campus, isolated from each other, for two weeks.  I'm guessing they can use the SLU weight room, individually and without supervision, and can shoot in the gyms, again alone, should they stay. 

Stay or go?.....we know the virus is on campus and in their home towns.  Both answers are right and both answers are wrong.  I say for those who can, let them go home for a week.    

Some players will be in an iso part, and some will go home(?) it sounds, meaning those from the area.  And no, they cannot use any facility. 

23 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Sending players home is just asking for another outbreak when they come back. It dramatically increases the number of contacts the team has.

Agree. Unless they are forcing the players families to quarantine too, this seems like a terrible idea 

4 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

Agree. Unless they are forcing the players families to quarantine too, this seems like a terrible idea 

I take it those players tested negative. Has is in a hotel 

But at the same time if players test negative how come they can’t stay there and use the gym..

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

That was a good piece. I can only imagine the inner conflict the coaches had before they made the decision they did. 

This is honestly the best case scenario. If we had lost the LSU or NC State game we wouldn’t have gotten those back.  Playing and winning those games was key.  Even if we miss the majority of January whenever we come back we should be able to roll through our conference games.  Someone mentioned a big outbreak. Honestly that might be for the best as well. If the whole team and everyone associated with the team gets it and burns through it we don’t have to worry about this again.  

I just wonder if anyone is actually sick or showing symptoms. All this testing of healthy people especially with the prevalence of false positives is almost asking for a shut down.  

billiken_roy and EssEllYou like this

7 minutes ago, mrjoelabs said:

This is honestly the best case scenario. If we had lost the LSU or NC State game we wouldn’t of gotten those back.  Playing and winning those games was key.  Even if we miss the 

It will be hard to fit the 3 games in. We only have one 5+ day gap the rest of the way. 

I do wonder how many players get it. Of course I don’t actually want anyone to get it, but if the number is high, it’ll better the chances of this never happening again 

mrjoelabs likes this

4 minutes ago, 68Alum said:

I hope you are wrong and the positive is limited to one or a few cases. This is not the three day sniffles that is involved here. Many people that have become infected are reporting long term serious effects from this disease.

But there are millions more who didn’t even notice it.   I know French had a tough time. It’s just weird 

Players (and frankly the public) should not be getting a test or quarantining unless there are symptoms.  A positive test doesnt mean you are covid19 contagious. A positive test without symptoms is highly suspect of being false.  So disappointing but we all knew this would eventually happen the way we are trying to test our way out of the pandemic. 

mrjoelabs likes this