GDT: Boo the Roos

Bills By 40

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Jimerson is never going to be a lock down defender and Ford doesn't have him crashing the boards to rebound so he really needs to find his offensive game. He was actually pretty good against NC State so it's only been 2 off games for him but it's a big dimension that we are missing offensively although having him as a threat has opened things up for Goodwin.

Perkins needs to adjust to getting bumped and hit every time. I'm okay if he wants to start flopping a bit.

Let's run the offense through French and get our shooters some easy kick outs. 

Goodwin is a stud. Collins didn't score but another good game from him.

Jacobs was somewhat quiet but he may actually be our most well rounded player on both ends of the court. Love what he brings off the bench and I think it's important that he comes in off the bench (while still getting big minutes)

Thatch just does not have it offensively but he can really defend. We need that especially against teams with athletes everywhere and he can get points by cleaning up some messes under the basket. 

This is a really good team. I still don't think we should lose a conference game. I'm sure we will but we are better than everyone in the league 

majerus mojo likes this

Completely disagree with the GJ dissing on here.  If an opposing coach wants to post a defender 6 inches away from him all the time to take away the corner 3 (refusing to help off) then that should play into our offenses favor.  

Goodwin had 2 monster games in a row because pitino and umkc employed a plan of don’t let perkins/jimerson beat us.  We couldn’t have expected teams to give us wide open 3s all year like LSU did.

Duquense will be a true measuring stick for us bc it is exactly the same team as last year.  I really want to see someone other than Yuri on Sincere Carry. 

Zink and slufan13 like this

52 minutes ago, SLU_Nick said:

Completely disagree with the GJ dissing on here.  If an opposing coach wants to post a defender 6 inches away from him all the time to take away the corner 3 (refusing to help off) then that should play into our offenses favor.  

Goodwin had 2 monster games in a row because pitino and umkc employed a plan of don’t let perkins/jimerson beat us.  We couldn’t have expected teams to give us wide open 3s all year like LSU did.

Duquense will be a true measuring stick for us bc it is exactly the same team as last year.  I really want to see someone other than Yuri on Sincere Carry. 

Jimerson has all the qualities to be this boards whipping boy 

ARon likes this

1 hour ago, slufan13 said:

Jimerson is never going to be a lock down defender and Ford doesn't have him crashing the boards to rebound so he really needs to find his offensive game. He was actually pretty good against NC State so it's only been 2 off games for him but it's a big dimension that we are missing offensively although having him as a threat has opened things up for Goodwin.

Perkins needs to adjust to getting bumped and hit every time. I'm okay if he wants to start flopping a bit.

Jacobs was somewhat quiet but he may actually be our most well rounded player on both ends of the court. Love what he brings off the bench and I think it's important that he comes in off the bench (while still getting big minutes)

Thatch just does not have it offensively but he can really defend. We need that especially against teams with athletes everywhere and he can get points by cleaning up some messes under the basket. 

This is a really good team. I still don't think we should lose a conference game. I'm sure we will but we are better than everyone in the league 

Again, it's all about matchups.  Duquesne matches up very well with us.  As a team, they do a good job of turning us over. Their frontcourt does a good of scoring and defending against our frontcourt, we haven't been able to catch up with Dunn-Martin and Sincere Carry has been winning the matchup against Yuri.  

UMass is still erratic but we don't have anybody that can cover Tre Mitchell.  All it takes is for them to shoot it well from outside and we have a problem.

Somehow despite their youth, VCU has much better chemistry than last year.  Their point guard, Ace Baldwin, is Yuri-like in his approach to the game.  Bones is stepping up offensively as expected. 

We have a very good team but we're not world beaters.  An off shooting night against a challenging matchup and we can be beat.

good post.   i am also a big fan of jacobs.   i would switch him and jimmmerson out in the starting lineup.    jacobs only weakness is he has a very slow shooting release.   but beyond that, i love him.   jimmerson is a player, but he seems to be so one dimensional dont know if we can afford that now that we are getting into the games that count.   not saying he shouldnt play, but small doses of jimmerson would seem to be maybe a more effective usage.   bring him in, he hits a couple of threes and gives perkins goodwin or jacobs a rest then back out.   a couple of minutes later repeat.  etc.  

my biggest problem with last night is we let the roos dictate the pace of the game.  we have to be in charge.   and that means play fast.   the walk it up and then second half we used the dam shuffle b.s.   dont like it.   

i do agree we need to use french more INSIDE whenever we can.   he has shown he is a good passer so indeed playing inside out seems like it would be effective.  

Thatch as a lockdown defender is somewhat of a myth to me.  He has to get better.  McKissic drove right by him in the first half and then Fred just lost him in the paint and McKissic  popped out on the left wing for a three.  There was nothign special to that .... Fred just jogged after him.  

For the next game, Duquesne hasn't played since December 2.  Doubt they get one in between now and December 30.  They beat UNC Greensboro and lost to Little Rock.  It's a small sample but Dambrot is not starting Jughes but bringing him off the bench for Rotroff.  Rotroff is useless but Duquesne really has no bench.  Ryan Kelly a transfer from Pitt is eligible to play but he's 6'2" and a guard.  Frankly, I'd start Jacobs and put him on Carry.  Let Collins take the Dunn-Martin midget.  But don't leave him for any double down reason.  French will get Weathers.  Put Perkins on Rotroff and let Goodwin have whoever is left.  You could later throw Goodwin at Carry and then Thatch.  Its only two games but Carry plays 35 minutes per.  Wear him down after a month's layoff.  Hughes is still stupid and wants to block everything.  He's susceptible to foul trouble.  Dunn-Martin can only really hurt you from three.  Weathers is tough but we have 20 fouls to give in French, Bell, Linssen and Hargrove.  I can't fathom losing this game but they did beat us twice last year with this same lineup.

55 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Jimerson has all the qualities to be this boards whipping boy 

I think it’s less about him being a whipping boy and more about going 4-11 from the field including 1-4 from 3 the last two games.

Plus below average D and only 2 rebounds and 1 assists in those 2 games.

Jimerson is going to be a huge contributor this year but he has played poorly the last 2 games.

Zink likes this

Just now, dlarry said:

I think it’s less about him being a whipping boy and more about going 4-11 from the field including 1-4 from 3 the last two games.

Jimerson is going to be a huge contributor this year but he has played poorly the last 2 games.

it was more tongue in cheek. I agree he's been very underwhelming. I think it comes with the book being written on him. He didn't get much of a chance last year to really have teams write the book, now teams are keying on him. It's going to take a few games for a combo of Ford and Jimerson to make the adjustment. Hopefully Hasahn and Goodwin scoring close to the basket is going to really force coaches to make a tough decision and give Jimerson and Perkins a little more breathing room. Demarius asserting himself on the offensive end will help too.

dlarry likes this

1 hour ago, Taj79 said:

Thatch as a lockdown defender is somewhat of a myth to me.  He has to get better.  McKissic drove right by him in the first half and then Fred just lost him in the paint and McKissic  popped out on the left wing for a three.  There was nothign special to that .... Fred just jogged after him.  

For the next game, Duquesne hasn't played since December 2.  Doubt they get one in between now and December 30.  They beat UNC Greensboro and lost to Little Rock.  It's a small sample but Dambrot is not starting Jughes but bringing him off the bench for Rotroff.  Rotroff is useless but Duquesne really has no bench.  Ryan Kelly a transfer from Pitt is eligible to play but he's 6'2" and a guard.  Frankly, I'd start Jacobs and put him on Carry.  Let Collins take the Dunn-Martin midget.  But don't leave him for any double down reason.  French will get Weathers.  Put Perkins on Rotroff and let Goodwin have whoever is left.  You could later throw Goodwin at Carry and then Thatch.  Its only two games but Carry plays 35 minutes per.  Wear him down after a month's layoff.  Hughes is still stupid and wants to block everything.  He's susceptible to foul trouble.  Dunn-Martin can only really hurt you from three.  Weathers is tough but we have 20 fouls to give in French, Bell, Linssen and Hargrove.  I can't fathom losing this game but they did beat us twice last year with this same lineup.

I agree with you on your assessment of Thatch and his defense this year.

bauman likes this

1 hour ago, dlarry said:

GJ has to hit 3s that is why he played last year.  If he does not then he will find himself coming of the bench and staying in only if he produces.  Not sure what the deal is with his shot - the argument that the backdrop with no fans may be the cause - I am not totally buying.  There is nobody in the stands during practice.  He may just be rushing his shot for a number of reasons and one could be that teams are not forgetting about him.  Regardless, he has to figure a way to hit 3s or else he brings a lot less to the table.  Sophomore slump?

2 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

GJ has to hit 3s that is why he played last year.  If he does not then he will find himself coming of the bench and staying in only if he produces.  Not sure what the deal is with his shot - the argument that the backdrop with no fans may be the cause - I am not totally buying.  There is nobody in the stands during practice.  He may just be rushing his shot for a number of reasons and one could be that teams are not forgetting about him.  Regardless, he has to figure a way to hit 3s or else he brings a lot less to the table.  Sophomore slump?

Red shirt Freshman

1 hour ago, dlarry said:

Jeesh, guy has 2 off nights and he’s a washout. That said, I would prefer we start Jacobs. He multi dimensional in that position and a better defender. Bring Jimerson for the spark 3 pointers or if we’re in dire need of 3s to catch up. I don’t get stationing him in the corner other than the opponent having to paste himself to Jimerson and, therefore, can’t provide help side D. 

billiken_roy likes this

4 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

Jimerson has given himself such a reputation of a shooter that going 1 for his last 4 and 4 for his last 10 is considered panic mode

Subconsciously I think folks are worried about the Duquesne game.  We struggle to score against them. His scoring was a weapon we didn't have in the arsenal last year.  Seeing him miss this badly for a couple of games doesn't give you a good feeling going into that contest.

2 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Subconsciously I think folks are worried about the Duquesne game.  We struggle to score against them. His scoring was a weapon we didn't have in the arsenal last year.  Seeing him miss this badly for a couple of games doesn't give you a good feeling going into that contest.

People are overreacting. He has always taken a lot of difficult shots, some of which miss badly. Still, his shooting % stays high because he’s that good. 

1 minute ago, 3star_recruit said:

I agree. We have to be better defensively against them and not sure that will come from GJ but we'll see.. He has a week to get his shot right and I do hope we can design a couple of open looks for him early. A couple of makes and confidence is back up 

No one is panicking about Jimerson but unlike the last several years we have a replacements who can produce at a high level. Based on the last two games, which is NOT a fair time frame, Jacobs and even Thatch bring more to table than Jimerson. 

Anyone can have an off night or two.  The problem is that one of those off nights was a game where his lack of production contributed to a tough loss.  Last night was almost as disappointing because it wasn't the cathartic asswhupping everybody needed.  He did take some tough shots in both games but he also missed some open looks too.

2 hours ago, dlarry said:

53 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Jeesh, guy has 2 off nights and he’s a washout. That said, I would prefer we start Jacobs. He multi dimensional in that position and a better defender. Bring Jimerson for the spark 3 pointers or if we’re in dire need of 3s to catch up. I don’t get stationing him in the corner other than the opponent having to paste himself to Jimerson and, therefore, can’t provide help side D. 

Washout?

Where did you get that?

I posted stats from 2 games I even said he will be a huge contributor this year.

I don’t even think he should be taken out of the starting lineup.

All I was saying is that he has had 2 poor games, and he has.

24 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

He has not had a lot of open shots. As someone else pointed out that opens up the floor for others as they are guarding him closely. Even if not scoring he has value. 

Compton likes this

2 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Apparently they are fairly close, talking a lot on the phone.

my seats are very close to the goodwin's.   my wife and i always get  kick out of watching the interplay between jordan and his parents.    dad shows very little emotion and mom is a one woman cheer squad.    jordan looks up to them a lot during the game.   it is such a great site to see a family unit like this.   

and honestly, the goodwin's are just a wonderful couple.   always give us a high and a handshake.   a smile and some kind words.   couldnt be any nicer.    makes it easy to be a fan of their son

Jimerson has given himself such a reputation of a shooter that going 1 for his last 4 and 4 for his last 10 is considered panic mode

I understand what you are saying but keep in mind that all made 3s are not created equal.  The timing can be very important - garbage time 3s are not the same as when the team needs one for example during the MN game when we were not letting the game get out control.