The Bills over KC by 25

The Wiz

A disappointing loss to Minn but one that did minimal damage.......Minimal because we are still on my Top 25 list (see the Top 25 thread from 12/21) We are still on my list ( and close on the AP 25), because we lost to a good team at home  in a tough venue (The Barn)...If you want to see why we lost ...check the post game analysis in the Minn spread thread.

On to KC...They are a D team.  We are still an A team....The Kangaroos have one of the worst 3 P defenses ITN....kind of a go ahead and take the shot defense. Also their FT shooting is terrible....worse than the Bills in the last 2 years and that's saying a lot.  On the positive side they like to take 3s and they are pretty good at it if no one bothers them...They have about a half dozen 3 pt shooters  ready to chuck em.

Let's see what the report card looks like....

.............................SLU..........................KC........................................................SLU.........................................KC

.............................................OFF.....................................................................................................DEF...............

PPG.........................A.............................F................................................................B-.....................................D+

FG%.........................A............................B-...............................................................C+......................................F+

3Pt%........................A+ 15th ITN..........B+...............................................................C-......................................F-.. 8th WITN

FT%.........................B+.... ......................F-.. 5th WITN...........................................................................................

Reb.........................B-............................B.................................................................A+ 13th ITN......................B-

OFF Rebs  = total rebs...DEF Rebs = opp reb

UP....Offense..none. ......Defense ..none

Down...Offense...FG%......Defense....PPG......FG%...3P%

Top 100 ITN (In The Nation)

Assts...Collins....13th....up

Rebs...Goodwin....10th....up

PPG.....Perkins......93rd...dn

Stls......Goodwin.....65th....dn...Collins...90th...dn

3P%...Jacobs...23rd... unch....Perkins....97th...dn

Blks...French...86th ...up

Double Double...Goodwin...1st...up

No injuries this game by either team.

You will note we are still A+ in 3P shooting even after a dismal 13% flop  at Minn ....It shows you how crazy good we were in the 1st 7 games from the arc. Another interesting note...The Roos play a very weak schedule. The one exception is they played Minn and lost by 29 pts....That is pretty much all you need to know about them

WWN2D2W....As I said above, they like to shoot 3s...Kamgain is probably their best 3Pt guy....Allick is their best all around player...a 6'8 forward who will play with 4 guards. The last main scorer is  McKissic....we need to hold that group of 3 to under  30 pts.  An interesting note about McKissic and Kamgain is they are both vulnerable to TOs.  If we press them they will turn it over. If we can keep our own TO rate down (9 or 10)...we should have a TO margin of around 7....I would also like to see a Reb margin of at least 8.

Bottom line.... If we play our game ...start to hit 3s again...and avoid mistakes ...this game is ours by 20+ pts....This game comes with a warning...Watch out for falling 3s.....We need to jump over the Kangaroos.

Let's start a new winning streak.

Something to watch for / be aware of - so far this year in their 4 D1 games, UMKC has put guys on the FT line a ton.  They've put guys on the FT line on 77.6% of the field goals attempted against them.  This by far is the highest rate of any D1 team this season and the next one is 59.6%.

SEMO - 35 FT attempts

K State - 27 FT attempts

Minn - 44 FT attempts

Toledo - 26 FT attempts

After getting to the line a ton last season (39.8% - 29th highest), the Billikens so far have been below average this season.  Still I'm expected a ton of Billiken FTs during this game.

UMKC may also be missing some players.  Some key guys didn't play at all in the double header vs Kansas Christian including their leading scorer Brandon McKissic (SLUH),  Marvin Nesbitt, Hidde Roessink, Zion Williams (not Williamson), and Demarious Pitts.

36 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

UMKC may also be missing some players.  Some key guys didn't play at all in the double header vs Kansas Christian including their leading scorer Brandon McKissic (SLUH),  Marvin Nesbitt, Hidde Roessink, Zion Williams (not Williamson), and Demarious Pitts.

In the opening post, I mentioned all players would be available on both teams.  I checked a few minutes ago and that is still true.

23 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

In the opening post, I mentioned all players would be available on both teams.  I checked a few minutes ago and that is still true.

Gotcha.  I have no inside info and it would certainly be a shame if McKissic didn't get to play.  I was just noting that those guys didn't play in the DH over the weekend.

Do your #s have SLU shooting a ton of FTs this game?

16 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

Gotcha.  I have no inside info and it would certainly be a shame if McKissic didn't get to play.  I was just noting that those guys didn't play in the DH over the weekend.

Do your #s have SLU shooting a ton of FTs this game?

Yes....One of the "secrets" to  the "Ruse"  poor defense is slowing  the other team down by fouling.  Assuming we have decent refs , I would expect around 40 FTA.. 

Last year, we were the WITN in FT% . Teams were anxious to send us to the line.....Now that we are a B+ team in FTs....not so much.

1 minute ago, The Wiz said:

Last year, we were the WITN in FT% . Teams were anxious to send us to the line.....Now that we are a B+ team in FTs....not so much.

I think it is too early in the year for teams to be adjusting based on stats from this season.  I assume part of this has to do with French missing the first couple games, part of it has to do with mostly playing teams we're blowing out and refs therefore calling less fouls, and part of it is just kind of randomness.  I also wonder if nonconference foes aren't as familiar with French & his FT struggles so they aren't as likely to hack him as A10 teams.

8 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

Assuming we have decent refs

Also wanted to point out that this is a BIG ask given the qualify of refs we have seen so far.

I hope the Bills come out playing aggressive physical D knowing that UMKC is prone to foul a lot.  Often it seems refs keep like to keep the fouls / FTs pretty even to appear as though they're calling it fair.  If we're going to get a lot of fouls called on us because UMKC is so hack prone, I'd rather make our fouls count than get hit with ticky-tack BS to even it up.  On the flip side, if the refs avoid calling fouls on UMKC for hacking us to keep things even, I'd just assume be physical with them as well.

1 hour ago, RUBillsFan said:

Also wanted to point out that this is a BIG ask given the qualify of refs we have seen so far.

I hope the Bills come out playing aggressive physical D knowing that UMKC is prone to foul a lot.  Often it seems refs keep like to keep the fouls / FTs pretty even to appear as though they're calling it fair.  If we're going to get a lot of fouls called on us because UMKC is so hack prone, I'd rather make our fouls count than get hit with ticky-tack BS to even it up.  On the flip side, if the refs avoid calling fouls on UMKC for hacking us to keep things even, I'd just assume be physical with them as well.

If they want to get into a FT shooting battle with us...I will take that...we will win that battle. Even with a small sample size we are a better shooting FT team this year. As for French, he will have less opportunities at the FT line this year and that's fine.

If we play aggressive D ...I hope we do it at the arc....Their game plan is to rain down 3s on us

38 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

If they want to get into a FT shooting battle with us...I will take that...we will win that battle. Even with a small sample size we are a better shooting FT team this year. As for French, he will have less opportunities at the FT line this year and that's fine.

If we play aggressive D ...I hope we do it at the arc....Their game plan is to rain down 3s on us

The weather forecaster is warning Kansas City of drought conditions in Chaifetz tonight.

This game had an ugly feel to it BUT the numbers say different....They weren't great ...but not bad overall.  Our slash was 49/42 /65...  decent...one of the reasons the game felt worse than it was ....was because of the 1st half...40/ 29 / 67... that is not good especially against a D team.

Kamgain is probably their best 3Pt guy....Allick is their best all around player. The last main scorer is  McKissic....we need to hold that group of 3 to under  30 pts. They scored 38pts....if we hold the 29...we make the spread.
If we can keep our own TO rate down (9 or 10)...we should have a TO margin of around 7....I would also like to see a Reb margin of at least 8. On TOs we came in at 11 ...close enough...I would be happy with 11s the rest of the season. The margin was narrower (+3 vs proj +7) but in a low scoring game the margin will be narrower. Same for Rebs...+6 vs +8 projected.... lower scoring = lower margins

Which brings us to the main point....everything was a little under ... which is why everything was a little off.  A deliberate slow down by KC in order to give themselves a chance to win. They couldn't run and gun with us ...so they played slow ball ...and it worked ...for 1 half.  We made adjustments at halftime...and were back on track.  A 25pt spread translates into 12.5 pt  margins for each half.  We won the 2nd half by 14 pts.

Bottom line ...We did what we had to do.