Not A Bad Loss...10 things

mrjoelabs

21 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

Coaches (and color commentators) say that when you're on offense is when you're supposed to "rest."

Right, and it makes sense.  But few play with that type of offensive motor. 

13 hours ago, Dr. Holly Hills said:

Good stuff on the original post.  I disagree with the yuri comments (not in original post but some have been critical).  I thought he had a fine game.  Running almost every offensive possession AND guarding the other team’s best scorer is a tall task.  Ford should have started Goodwin on him until we discovered Thatch was the best play.

I’m a huge fan of Bell.  But he needs to learn to finish stronger in my opinion.  His major weakness is on the offensive end.  He needs a mean streak or something.  So many times he gets a rebound and I just want him to smash a dunk so hard in everyone’s face it rattles gym, but he tries to lay it in and gets blocked half the time.   If he wants a lot of playing time he’s got to figure it out because Okoro will be there next year with linssen.

Agree on Jimmy. He’s a softie on put backs. Late last season he started to get more aggressive and upped his game. He needs to find that again. 

Collins will struggle guarding bigger guards because of his size. The first play of the game he stupidly left Carr and gave him a wide open look. J Good is our best team defender. So good in the lanes. I think his supreme confidence in his hands lets him think he doesn't need to keep guys in front of him. Thatch is an unreal on-ball defender. Jacobs has the best body and athleticism on the team, IMHO. He's not quite the "dog" that J-Good and Thatch are. Yuri also very good on the ball. 

Motion, screens, switches, rotations etc.. are very hard to learn, even for NBA teams. This team is already really good; it will get better. Playing Perkins and Jimerson at the same time will hurt a bit on defense, but I'm assuming the staff is looking at advanced numbers when making these decisions.

I would love it if Jacobs, Hargrove and Thatch came in at the same time (around 14:00) and the team went to a press. 

3 minutes ago, Crewsorlose said:

Collins will struggle guarding bigger guards because of his size. The first play of the game he stupidly left Carr and gave him a wide open look. J Good is our best team defender. So good in the lanes. I think his supreme confidence in his hands lets him think he doesn't need to keep guys in front of him. Thatch is an unreal on-ball defender. Jacobs has the best body and athleticism on the team, IMHO. He's not quite the "dog" that J-Good and Thatch are. Yuri also very good on the ball. 

Motion, screens, switches, rotations etc.. are very hard to learn, even for NBA teams. This team is already really good; it will get better. Playing Perkins and Jimerson at the same time will hurt a bit on defense, but I'm assuming the staff is looking at advanced numbers when making these decisions.

I would love it if Jacobs, Hargrove and Thatch came in at the same time (around 14:00) and the team went to a press. 

i believe with the depth we have we should be full court pressing all over the floor all the time.   those turnovers generated are typically easy baskets that make the game a whole lot different.  if that means ford needs to go deeper than 8 players, so be it.  

Crewsorlose likes this

17 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

i believe with the depth we have we should be full court pressing all over the floor all the time.   those turnovers generated are typically easy baskets that make the game a whole lot different.  if that means ford needs to go deeper than 8 players, so be it.  

The full court press with Hargrove on the inbounder and Thatch and Goodwin denying entry passes / trapping on either side of the floor looked pretty damn effective.  All 3 of those guys are long / athletic.

I'm not sure that is something you go to all the time, but it can be especially effective if the other team isn't expecting it / ready for it.