GDT: Au Revoir Gopher

Littlebill

28 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

if you look at the individual stats, it seems to me, a case can be made that jacobs should be back starting again in place of jimmmerson.  not saying that i have more confidence in jacobs shooting 3's, but i do have more confidence in pretty much every other aspect of the game.   if nothing else, we probably should see a few more minutes per game more from jacobs.   

that athleticism of jacobs cant be taught.   probably only stickland and hargrove can match his god given talent.   we shouldnt have it sitting on the bench 25 minutes a game.   

Nope. I’ll take Jimerson for $2,000.

He definitely had an off game. But, he is going to go 9/10 from 3 in one of the next two or three games to make up for it. The fact that Minnesota had to basically hug him at and beyond the  three point line is an advantage we need to use. Drive on Jimerson’s side of the court.

• Replies 719
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking at the stats of the game and taking off the negative results of the refs calls, they did much better than we did 8-0 in blocks, and managed to really freeze our 3 point points to a very low level. We did better than they did in rebounds 41-34, assits 18-16, steals 8-6, and TOs 13-20. We did not play badly, in some measurable ways, they played worse than we did. I think the real difference in the game came from the number of fouls called on us vs them by the refs. They did not call multiple fouls, at least one double dribble, and walks on Minn. The refs managed to eliminate at least two breakouts  ending in a basket by calling travels on us, and the technical foul was a killer. FT scoring made the difference in this game. Of course if we had managed to score more 3 pointers we would have won, but we did not, and the fact that we did not score more 3 pointers is likely to be due to their defense more than to  an off day for our shooters. I really think this defeat was caused by the refs more than by their play.

Nebraska_Bob likes this

With Jimerson, Carter Chapley tweeted out how he told him before the NC state game that it has been a tough adjustment without fans for depth perception.  Not to find excuses but for shots like the one he missed bad at the end of the game last night, I can easily see how that can impact a shot like that.  

51 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

if you look at the individual stats, it seems to me, a case can be made that jacobs should be back starting again in place of jimmmerson.  not saying that i have more confidence in jacobs shooting 3's, but i do have more confidence in pretty much every other aspect of the game.   if nothing else, we probably should see a few more minutes per game more from jacobs.   

that athleticism of jacobs cant be taught.   probably only stickland and hargrove can match his god given talent.   we shouldnt have it sitting on the bench 25 minutes a game.   

I think changing anything that significant at this point would be a wild move

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

I'm always looking at minutes rather than who starts.  According to Stu and Carter, Jacobs doesn't mind coming off the bench, and in fact is looking at Perkin's A10 6th Man Award as something he might achieve. So who starts is meh, but I do agree that Jacobs has shown he is worthy of more minutes.  Whose minutes does he take?  I guess it depends on matchups that unfold during the game.

Using the last several games, it appears Ford is slowly settling in on a 8+1 man rotation, with Linssen, Thatch and Jacobs being the 3 primaries off the bench and Hargrove coming in based on situations.  Three of Hargrove's 7 minutes came when French fouled out.  Bell has played 7 minutes the past three games.  If he didn't get significant minutes last night against those tall trees or against NC State, when will he get in.  (I'm hoping we see all 12 with significant minutes on Wednesday.)

slufanskip likes this

2 hours ago, NoCoBillsFan said:

That shot by Jimerson has me a bit concerned. He’s been missing badly a lot these last few games, and as another poster mentioned he’s shooting around 30% over our last four games. Not sure if he’s just a bit off or if it could be something bigger.

Also, I think the lack of 3pt success can directly be attributed to the fouls. Outside of Jimerson, Perkins is our best outside shooter. He sat for much of the second half with four fouls, one of which I clearly remember as a bs charging call. In fact, I don’t think Perkins was as ‘off’ as people are saying; the man was getting hit every time he touched the ball without a call. Then you add that up with some soft foul calls on him and you have a recipe for a bad game. 

Another note, why didn’t we try to get Jacobs more involved in the second half? Other games he’s been our spark plug when the offense is struggling and can hit the three. I would’ve liked to see something ran for him when both teams couldn’t buy a bucket around the ten minute mark.

Boy, I could have wrote this. My thoughts exactly. Jimerson’s shot has looked off. A couple of his misses last night were way off. I posted last night that maybe Jacobs should be a starter as he’s not as one dimensional as Jimerson. I really like Jimerson, but maybe he should come off the bench in the sniper role. 
Good post! 

I expect to see a back-and-forth "anything you can do, I can do better" type of battle between Perkins and Jimerson on Wednesday. 20+ points from both of them, because we know they have it in them but they know they need to remind us. 

Goodwin with a 10p/10r/5a double-double, Yuri with 12 assists, and French with a 10p/10r/5b double-double, and 25 points off the bench from Thatch, Jacobs, and Linssen. Gonna score 95 points. 

11 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

Depends on who those 3 losses are.  All it takes is for us to have a tough shooting night and the 8th place A10 team to go off and you've got a bad loss that drops you 15 spots in the NET rankings.   I like rankings for PR purposes but as far as advancing in the dance I don't think it means that much.  Just avoid the 8/9 game and I think we're good.

I'd rather have those 3 losses come at the hands of lower rated A-10 teams. Because it means we beat the hell out of Richmond and Dayton and VCU to make that happen. The committee has made it clear they focus more on who you have beaten than who you have lost too. Last thing we'd want is to have a record of 21-4 but not have any wins over Richmond and only one of Dayton.

I had to watch the game on my DVR late last night, so first chance to post:

1. We weren't going undefeated this season.  Everyone wants us to be Gonzaga, right.  Well guess what, Gonzaga loses games every year, and we're not at their level yet.  We won two of the big three non-con games on our schedule and should go into conference with only one loss.  🎵Don't worry, be happy.🎵  If we get the effort we got in these three games during our conference schedule, we will dominate most games and have a real good shot at the others.

2. Perkins and Jimmerson had off nights because they were keying on them.  This is why French had six points in the first three minutes.  They were daring us to beat them down low and French and Linssen were doing it.  If we had a failure this game, let me say that I was happy with how we played, it was not sticking with throwing it inside until they started doubling again.  That would have freed up Perk and Gibby.  We just didn't stick to it.

3. Yuri is awesome, but he still has a lot he needs to learn simply through experience.  The coaches can't walk him through every possession.  He needs to learn to mix up the offensive possessions better.  His best move is to use his athleticism to drive and (a) take it all the way to the hole as he has started to do recently, (b) dish to a big, (c) dish to an open wing after drawing the defenders.  He seems to go through stretches where he favors one or the other and the other team figures it out.  The sooner he understands that constantly mixing it up is the best course, the better it will be for all of his teammates.  Not a criticism.  I love Yuri, but every player develops over time.

4. Some have suggested that Ford got outcoached.  That's lazy.  That opinion is getting old.  Every possession where we started with the ball after a timeout, we scored on a set play.  He constantly changed up the defense.  These guys are prepared for each game.  They play harder than any team out there.  What else do you want from a coach?  Every time we lose it doesn't mean that Ford somehow failed to make halftime adjustments.  Sometimes you just lose.  Again, we were not going to go undefeated.

5. I love Thatch and Jacobs, but MBMs want them in the starting lineup based upon one game (I know that's an exaggeration).  They both have skills that add to our team, but let Ford and the staff use those skills appropriately.  All of our guys are going to have better games than others.

6.  The AP just came out and we are 28.  Minnesota got some votes as well.  This shows the respect that we have in that we got Minnesota into the voting and didn't drop much from our loss.  It also shows that this will not be viewed as a bad loss.

That's it.  Let's go beat the Kangaroos and then dominate the A-10.

EssEllYou and rgbilliken like this

It looked to me that when Minnesota packed in the lane that it stopped the Bills offense, particularly when Jibberson and our leading scorer couldn’t get untracked. I thought it was an ideal moment to bring in the slashers, Jacobson, Fred, and Hargrove to change the tempo and disrupt the stacked defense.

8 minutes ago, 68Alum said:

It looked to me that when Minnesota packed in the lane that it stopped the Bills offense, particularly when Jibberson and our leading scorer couldn’t get untracked. I thought it was an ideal moment to bring in the slashers, Jacobson, Fred, and Hargrove to change the tempo and disrupt the stacked defense.

you meant jacobs?

46 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

you meant jacobs?

Yes, Jacobs.

This is the most talented and deep Bills team I’ve ever seen, with at least four behind the starters that can really play. I think it’s a mistake to keep unproductive players on a given night on the floor because they are “starters”. Bring in “the Calvary” off the bench and exhaust the other team.

1 hour ago, 68Alum said:

Is there a point in calling him Jibberson? 

7 hours ago, kshoe said:

I'd rather have those 3 losses come at the hands of lower rated A-10 teams. Because it means we beat the hell out of Richmond and Dayton and VCU to make that happen. The committee has made it clear they focus more on who you have beaten than who you have lost too. Last thing we'd want is to have a record of 21-4 but not have any wins over Richmond and only one of Dayton.

-I'm not sure what the criteria being used has been or what it will be

-general thoughts,this loss is not a season ender

-for those complaining about our offense, we scored 82 points on the road while making 2 shots from 3pt range

-remember when we used to play 'bully ball'? so physical play bothers us? it did seem to bother JPerk, not sure about GibJim but we scored 82 points on the road and BOTH of these players had below average games

-I found it interesting that the official on the other side of the floor and on the other end gave CFord the technical, rabbit ears? magic word? both?

-let's hope this marks the return of FTJr and that he can be more than a defensive shutdown player, although just having that wouldn't be terrible

-we allowed 90 points and 40% from 3, might just have been their night, but I hope they have a lot more of them

-JGood will not allow us to slip, have faith

Sometimes you need a loss to get you revved up. Here’s hoping those who didn’t have great games last night work and study film harder to prevent a repeat of those lapses. Hell, MSU lost to NWestern last night. The B10’s tough big boy pants basketball.  Any team can beat anyone else in that league. I don’t see this loss as the apocalypse. 

its not the physical play that bothers me, it is the obvious one sided foul calling.  we have 3 of our top 4 players foul out with mostly touch fouls.   they have no one foul out, we have 3, their best player shoots more free throws then our entire team and their team makes more free throws they we shot.   

hey thought it was the big ten where the refs let em play.  what happened to that?

SLU1818, Old guy, AGB91 and 3 others like this

28 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-I'm not sure what the criteria being used has been or what it will be

-general thoughts,this loss is not a season ender

-for those complaining about our offense, we scored 82 points on the road while making 2 shots from 3pt range

-remember when we used to play 'bully ball'? so physical play bothers us? it did seem to bother JPerk, not sure about GibJim but we scored 82 points on the road and BOTH of these players had below average games

-I found it interesting that the official on the other side of the floor and on the other end gave CFord the technical, rabbit ears? magic word? both?

-let's hope this marks the return of FTJr and that he can be more than a defensive shutdown player, although just having that wouldn't be terrible

-we allowed 90 points and 40% from 3, might just have been their night, but I hope they have a lot more of them

-JGood will not allow us to slip, have faith

For me it's not the bully ball which implies tough physical play. You don't see Billiken defenders look like they are taught to grab or put a forearm in the side as a defensive tactic anytime someone gets a step on you during a drive or coming off a screen. I 100% believe this affected Perk. In fact you rarely see Billiken defenders use their hands on the perimeter, If a guy is driving on them they drop and slide/move. Minnesota's go to was drop and grab. 

I was thinking about this today and maybe my perception is wrong but don't Big 10 teams frequently not live up to their rankings in the tourney? If so I wonder if it's because they are allowed to play defense a certain way but then can't get away with it come tourney time. I hate the way they play D, and I hate that any refs anywhere seem to think it's part of the game

Box and Won likes this

11 hours ago, slufanskip said:

For me it's not the bully ball which implies tough physical play. You don't see Billiken defenders look like they are taught to grab or put a forearm in the side as a defensive tactic anytime someone gets a step on you during a drive or coming off a screen. I 100% believe this affected Perk. In fact you rarely see Billiken defenders use their hands on the perimeter, If a guy is driving on them they drop and slide/move. Minnesota's go to was drop and grab. 

I was thinking about this today and maybe my perception is wrong but don't Big 10 teams frequently not live up to their rankings in the tourney? If so I wonder if it's because they are allowed to play defense a certain way but then can't get away with it come tourney time. I hate the way they play D, and I hate that any refs anywhere seem to think it's part of the game

A lot of Big 10 fans have said exactly what you did about the Tournament. The 1980s' Pistons Bad Boy basketball they play in their conference gets called a lot tighter, and the opponent benefits. With a tight, fair whistle that style cannot exist because the idea is freedom of movement on both ends. I think that's also why screens are so inconsistently officiated across the board. Some guys are slick enough to get away with it, but it's still a foul to set a screen and drive block the defender.