GDT: Au Revoir Gopher

Littlebill

• Replies 719
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 12/20/2020 at 8:25 PM, wgstl said:

not true. Fred finaly showed us hes ready to be guy we can throw in the mix.  We've been talking about him doing this bit for no reason, not we have reason 

There were some good take aways. I meant in terms of luck (Minnesota made every front end, got all the calls, lucked out at the end of shot clock after being taken out of their offense for 25 seconds, also got some iffy calls). 

billiken_roy likes this

43 minutes ago, Crewsorlose said:

There were some good take aways. I meant in terms of luck (Minnesota made every front end, got all the calls, lucked out at the end of shot clock after being taken out of their offense for 25 seconds, also got some iffy calls). 

I can't remember the exact sequence and I'm having troubling finding it in the play by play.  What exactly happened for the T on Coach Ford and what happened afterwards?  That could have been a 6 or 7 point swing with one call.

Minn player has blatant travel / double dribble that is missed and scores (2 points that wouldn't have counted w the correct call)

Ford gets a T and Minn gets 2 FTs (2 potential points) plus gets the ball back (2/3 points if they scored).

I'm not sure if Minn hit both FTs or scored on the ensuing possession, but that's a potential 6/7 point swing in an 8 point game all because of one single missed blatant travel on the Minn.  That is huge.

Crewsorlose likes this

3 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

I can't remember the exact sequence and I'm having troubling finding it in the play by play.  What exactly happened for the T on Coach Ford and what happened afterwards?  That could have been a 6 or 7 point swing with one call.

Minn player has blatant travel / double dribble that is missed and scores (2 points that wouldn't have counted w the correct call)

Ford gets a T and Minn gets 2 FTs (2 potential points) plus gets the ball back (2/3 points if they scored).

I'm not sure if Minn hit both FTs or scored on the ensuing possession, but that's a potential 6/7 point swing in an 8 point game all because of one single missed blatant travel on the Minn.  That is huge.

They missed 1 freethrow and SLU got the ball. It cost one point.

1 hour ago, RUBillsFan said:

I thought you got 2 FTs on the ball back on T?  I'm an idiot.  Never mind.  Still had an impact, but not as big as I thought.

Yeah, OG, in his postgame analysis,  also said something to the effect that the T was a "killer". But it cost all of one point. And sometimes a T on a coach at least lets the zebras know that they could be doing a better job. It didn't seem to help in the Minn game though.

1 hour ago, RUBillsFan said:

From every view I could see it was pretty hard to tell if the ball was knocked out of his hands or not. He made a move stopped lost the ball recovered and made another move. If the ball was knocked loose it's not traveling and he can dribble again. If it's a fumble untouched by the defender he can recover it, but can't dribble again. He can pass or shoot but he can't take a step to complete any move. I can't remember, did he dribble again after recovering the ball? I'm thinking he did. If so it's simply a matter of if the ball was knocked free or fumbled. 

Just now, slufanskip said:

From every view I could see it was pretty hard to tell if the ball was knocked out of his hands or not. He made a move stopped lost the ball recovered and made another move. If the ball was knocked loose it's not traveling and he can dribble again. If it's a fumble untouched by the defender he can recover it, but can't dribble again. He can pass or shoot but he can't take a step to complete any move. I can't remember, did he dribble again after recovering the ball? I'm thinking he did. If so it's simply a matter of if the ball was knocked free or fumbled. 

From my viewpoint, I agree with what you posted.  To me, a Billiken tapped the ball away and the Minnie player grabbed it back.  It was certainly close, but the ref was closer to the play than the camera and had a better view.  They would have needed one of those 5 minute replay pauses to overrule.

slufanskip likes this

43 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

-happened right before the ball left his hands, his feet move a bunch with the ball in his hands, i.e. not dribbling

On 12/20/2020 at 11:04 PM, EssEllYou said:

Exactly my thoughts. I predict UM wont be last in big10, and I bet they get 1 or 2 top25 wins in their upcoming schedule at home.  SLU will be just fine. We just lost out on top25 next week. Oh well, we'll keep getting votes and slowly creep back up.

I had a feeling these guys were damn good...

9 hours ago, EssEllYou said:

I had a feeling these guys were damn good...

I read way too much into the loss against Illinois.

With that said the Billikens must improve their defense to make a deep run in the big dance.

The big 10 is a really good conference.

Billiken Rich likes this

• 2 weeks later...

It seems that the Gophers are nearly unbeatable at home (wins over SLU, Iowa, Mich St, Ohio St), but fairly pedestrian on the road (blow out losses vs Illinois, Wisconsin, & Michigan).  This loss has aged fairly well for SLU, but I really wish they would figure their sh*t out away from home.  

billiken_roy likes this

5 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

It seems that the Gophers are nearly unbeatable at home (wins over SLU, Iowa, Mich St, Ohio St), but fairly pedestrian on the road (blow out losses vs Illinois, Wisconsin, & Michigan).  This loss has aged fairly well for SLU, but I really wish they would figure their sh*t out away from home.  

Doesn't get any easier this weekend when they travel to Iowa city to play Iowa. Looking at their remaining schedule, their 6 remaining home games are all very winnable. Gotta win some on the road though. Of course there are no guarantees all of these games are played...

1 hour ago, almaman said:

sure is counter intuitive that teams aren't doing better on the road in cv-19 BB. But it seems it might be worse. go figure. glad we played almost all our games @ home.      

Shooting in a quiet arena would be pretty odd. 
Shooting in a quiet arena that you are familiar with might be a little easier. 
That’s the only explanation I can think of.
Does comfort play a bigger role in home court advantage than crowd noise/game day environment? 

2 hours ago, dlarry said:

Does comfort play a bigger role in home court advantage than crowd noise/game day environment? 

I think when you bundle a lot of factors together into "comfort" it's a huge factor - no flight the day before, no possible time zone change, no bus trips to and form a hotel, sleeping in your own bed, eating your usual/favorite dining hall meal before a game, no relaxing/taking mind off things by playing your playstation with your teammates the night before, walk throughs/practicing in your own gym on game day, having your own locker with your own random stuff in it, etc, etc...